Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 35th Anniv, Is Mike up to anything.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 02 2008, 06:45

sorry dunno why i put thhe word 'strings' in the first sentence.Ignore it..it might go away  :p

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 07:21

Quote (TubularBelle @ June 02 2008, 01:10)
Yes Marky, that is exactly what I was thinking. He is 55 years old, still making and recording music and still making babies. He has such a full life and we are so lucky that he is still releasing albums. I'll gladly take MOTS as my 35th anniversary celebration.

Well yes true, but I know MOTS has references to Tubular Bells. i agree we are lucky that Mike is still making music, I'm sure he could afford to permanently retire from the royalties from Tubular Bells alone, but no I think musicians make music as it's in their blood, take Brian May and Roger Taylor from Queen,  apart from posthumously finishing off the "Made In Heaven with John (Deacon), non of the members of Queen were going to keep the Queen name going without Freddie Mercury, but I think the music bug runs through Brian's and Rogers veins, and they reformed as Queen + Paul Rodgers, not that Paul was ever intended or could ever be a replacement for the Late Great Freddie Mercury, but I think it adds a Queen meets Free sound to their music   :cool: .  Take the Rolling Stones, they're all or nearly old enough to draw state pensions, (as I think it's 65 for men, which seems a bit sexist to me, but us women put up with childbirth and PMS/periods so that makes up for it lol!!!;). There's old blues musicians playing well into their 70's and 80's John Lee Hooker was still touring and recording when he died aged 83
:cool: .

Yep I know Mike has also been busy making babies, I guess men have the easy part, as it's the woman who has to carry the baby for 9 months, yep I can see Mike is a modern Dad in that he attends to his babies needs too!!!!  
I don't know what childbirth is like, not ever having given birth, I did think I was pregnant twice by my then husband, but it turned out not to be,   but I'd imagine childbirth to be painful, and at nearly 37 I've no intention of starting now.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 08:42

And you have to deal withg them growing up and the realisation that,if they're growing up then so are you!I speak from experience.My youingest turned 8 yesterday.Scary cos my oldest will be 12 next month!
Back to the topic....many musician claim they're going to retire but then don't.Eric Clapton said in interviews a few years back that,as he now has young children,he would retire.And then he announced the Cream reformation!
I don't think Mike will retire though.In real terms age is only a barrier if your market is the 'pop' audience where,with a few notable exceptions (Madonna springs to mind)Mike would be considered old.But 'real' musicians make music for it's own sake and not to make vast quantities of cash by pandering to accountants forecasts.
 As you said the late great John Lee was 83 and showed no signs of quitting when hew sadly passed away.
 Mike will make more music but we may have to wait more than the usual couple of years. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
22 replies since May 28 2008, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net