No 2  [7.14%]
Unsure 2  [7.14%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 30th Anniversary Poll< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 03 2005, 04:57

Given that Ommadawn is often regarded as Mike's greatest work amongst fans would you like to see a 30th Anniversary CD reissue, with pictures/sleevenotes and also a DVD of "The Making Of Ommadawn" :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 03 2005, 08:08

I can imagine a dobbel disk cd, one cd with the album. And one dvd  with the video making of ommadawn, and maybe more stuff about ommadawn.
:)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2005, 13:52

yes please, Ommadawn cd+dvd and stuff :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2005, 22:07

I want to see them go all out, including a full-length concePt (not concert, more on that later) video production based on Ommadawn Side 1. I'd leave the details up to whomever made it, but it would probably involve Stonehenge.

Also, put in a conceRt video as well.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 04:20

Yes, please! ;)

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 04:46

I'd love to see a 'Making of Ommadawn', or a 'Making of...' for any of his albums. Why hasn't the Classic Albums TV series done Tubular Bells yet?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 06:39

... or an audio-dvd of it including interview of musicians and Mike, but I'd love to see an "Ommadawn 2005" album!!!(no no I'm not serious ;) )

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 10:36

My number one request would be a multichannel version like they did with Tubular Bells. I think the release of that would be a very good excuse to put together a deluxe edition with a selection of additional goodies. It would be nice to have a well written booklet with good photographs. There's a lot of information out there which it would be possible to include. Maybe we should collect it and it to Dave Laing to get the ball rolling...
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 12:35

Quote (Korgscrew @ Dec. 05 2005, 10:36)
My number one request would be a multichannel version like they did with Tubular Bells.

I would like that too, but without the whole chasing the instruments around the room thing this time. I found that quite off putting.
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 16:50

Quote (Korgscrew @ Dec. 05 2005, 16:36)
Dave Laing

who is that?  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 18:11

Quote (Korgscrew @ Dec. 05 2005, 15:36)
My number one request would be a multichannel version like they did with Tubular Bells. I think the release of that would be a very good excuse to put together a deluxe edition with a selection of additional goodies. It would be nice to have a well written booklet with good photographs. There's a lot of information out there which it would be possible to include. Maybe we should collect it and it to Dave Laing to get the ball rolling...

I'm happy with good quality stereo, I'm currently running a Rotel Cd player and amplifier, both are about 12 years old (have to replace when I get the  money together)  , through a pair of Mission 732 speakers, but I get a bit lost by all this multi channel stuff :/ .  I agree about the booklet and photos. I would love to be able to view the Making of Ommadawn film with good quality pictures and in its entirety  :D , with  any outtakes from the Ommadawn recording sessions.  
The only thing is if this is ever likely to come to fruition, the 30th Anniversary of Ommadawn, indeed if Ommadawn was released on 21 or 28 October 1975 has gone, but still would  be great if this project were to bear fruit  :) .
Perhaps this poll needs to be e-mailed to EMI/Virgin or Mike himself, to see how popular this would be  
:).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2005, 02:39

Sure, why not. Anniversary or not, Ommadawn deserves better treatment than it's getting currently.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 06 2005, 07:14

I actually have a DTS version of Ommadawn but I have no idea who put it out. Anyone know?
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 06 2005, 07:52

I don't know who did it, but I know where it came from - it's the same mix that would likely be released by Virgin, if they were going to.

Just like the four channel tapes of Tubular Bells which went to form the SACD, there are four channel (quad) tapes of Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations and Exposed in the vaults which as far as I know have now been transferred to DSD (that is, the native format of SACD) and could be released without much trouble...

Apart from Hergest Ridge, which was done by Mike, they're all the work of Phil Newell, and were all done for quadraphonic releases of the albums. Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn became Boxed, Exposed was only ever released as a quad album, and Incantations never saw the light of day.

A few people with the necessary bits and pieces have taken time to transfer all manner of quad records to digital formats - generally DTS, as people have an easier time of getting it to work from a CD - Ommadawn being one of them. I suppose it would have come from the SQ CD (it would certainly give the best result), though I think there's a transfer of the QS version out there too, which would have come from an LP. The SQ and QS versions are identical mixes, just encoded differently (so they'll sound different if played in stereo, but not if properly decoded).
If it was decoded with a decent decoder before encoding into DTS, the result ought to be quite reasonable, and even stuff decoded with a really basic passive decoder can be entertaining, if a bit underwhelming.

The nice thing about releasing it on SACD/DVD-A is there'd be the potential for a good quality stereo mix too - second only to going and listening to the master tape in the studio.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 07 2005, 03:50

Lots of good info there. Thank you.
14 replies since Dec. 03 2005, 04:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net