Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 3 of my own from way back, Old songs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 07 2003, 22:55

http://www.mp3.com/thescratchmaster/

I've had some tunes on mp3.com for some time. I have a link to it in my signature, but anyways. There are 3 tunes available there at the moment of songs I've done way back. There are only 3 listed there but there are more (MP3.com's stupid rules).

First one: The Ocean
Based of a poem with the same name that a girl I liked once wrote. Hehe. The poem was kinda short and I had made an 8 minute song out of it...I kind of meant it to have words so that's why it has the verse-chorus-verse-bridge feel. I just never added them. So the first verse instead has a piano playing a tune and the second verse has nothing lol. The bridge is the part I particularly like, though. For the last 4 minutes of the song, a guitar solo (partially influenced by Incantations) plays through over some chords that weren't played earlier in the song. This is my favourite for a long while. I should re do it sometime with higher quality sounds. It was tracker as a MOD music file and recorded as a WAV later. The guitar isn't the loudest, but I like the effect it used. I re-recorded the guitar later on that's louder and more 'experienced', but I'm not going to release that. I also have an 'instrumental version' without a guitar solo. Yeah. This is my favourite.

Second one: Total Outbreak
The first song I put on MP3.com. It's a dance song. It's also a tracked MOD. Goes on for a bit, but I like it. Lots of people liked it on MP3.COM. It was featured in a few radio stations on mp3.com. I like it.

Third one: La Tempestad Espanola
Spanish for 'Spanish Storm' (I hope). One girl I know just calles it the thermostat song lol. It's guitars only. Recorded 11 times. I mixed Mike Oldfield's 'Guitars' (the album) idea with Serpent Dream to come out with this. Starts off with a bad acoustic simulated guitar and a 'flutey' guitar in the background. A little muddy and messy.....no very muddy and messy....but it rocks none the less!

Tell me what you think of them. I'm interested to hear. Especially for The Ocean.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 08 2003, 08:58

i've just downloaded and listened to 'the ocean', nice and calm oceanic feeling... and really good guitar solo, just maybe it should be more defined or highlighted... don't know whether it's the most proper word... imho it deserves being more sharpened, but it's also nice to listen to it more in the background as a soft breeze in a trip on the sea surface :-)

i'm glad u've got these in mp3 cause i haven't been able to listen to your ogg files... neither by trying to convert them into mp3, nor by listening to them through the windows media player, i've just updated it but it seems it doesn't accept this kind of files :/

i'm looking forward to listen to that 'spanish storm' (u said it well), i'm downloading it right now, very curious about.

thank u for sharing them.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 08 2003, 12:10

Yes, the guitar is quite quiet. If I was to re-do it, that would be very more defined. And like I said, I did redo it but I haven't uploaded that file. Glad you like it. It is a little on the low quality side, but it was done a couple years ago. I do like the effect on the guitar. I just wish it was a little louder.

As for La Tempestad Espanola, it starts off calm and then goes crazy lol. It's cool, though. Hope you like it.

And about OGGs. Just download the latest Winamp 2. That's able to play OGGs. Don't download the light version, though, because it doesn't have the OGG plugin. And I reccomend keeping Winamp because it is the best player out there and it's the only one I use.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: July 08 2003, 12:32

sorry since it's on mp3.com :-/
i cant listen it :-/ since I already lost my registration and I don't want to register again because my old mailbox got spammed with mp3.com affiliates emails :(

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: July 08 2003, 18:29

crazy serpent storm... one coming fast over a ridge of high mountains in a dark blue evening.
a lot of good strength brandon.

thanks for your advice about the winamp. i'm going to download it. it was becoming kind'a question of honour... if u know what i mean... more or less i manage with stuff in my computer, but those ogg files were too much for me :D
thanks.
and please go on playing your guitar(s) that way...
:)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 08 2003, 20:11

@Booster: Your loss :D

@Maria: If I feel to play that way again sometime for a song I will :). I don't believe in musical styles anyway lol. And I hope you like Winamp. It is very good. Winamp 3 I don't like so much but Winamp 2 is good and always was.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Posted: July 08 2003, 20:56

Booster:

I'm probably going to be blacklisted from mp3.com or something for saying this, but: fake e-mail addresses work great.

Brandon:

Listened to them myself a few months back... Will do so again by the weekend :-)

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: July 09 2003, 01:57

ok I faked the mail :D

I thought that there's a kind of activation or something

The Ocean: Sounds very good! The Guitar might be better as maria said already...
And the strings sound like going out of very cheap retro boxes (dunno why) they are flat to me...or something...maybe a bit more gain in high bands would make it
nice drums! I love those hats and the crash!
The toms are average

Total Outbreak: The intro is crazy ...strings are the same as above not sure if it's not a kind of organ (?) though...
the piano is quite nice...
the bass kicks ass! :)
nice rhythm there! very nice :-9
at 1.25 you introduce a very nice synthie :) me-ow :) sounds familiar from then on :D
1.57 whoa that's great! makes me move  hope I won't break my chair..
I would boost the frequencies around 100Hz would give it more hmmm how to say...viiiiiiiiibe!
3.30 when the piano strikes in... :-S it's hmm dry!
around 4...nice breakbeats!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4.25: the main synth mel. sounds like 80's which is not bad...but not as great as the first part

Ending is strange...not tasty :-/

La Tempestad Espanola: the flutey guitar is great!
acoustic is poor as u said...
your guitars works ...are fantastic! you definitely are a guitarist by playing and soul... I am not sure what more to say...this one is best of them...though the sound quality is sometimes not great

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 

Posted: July 09 2003, 08:52

Thanks for the words, Booster!

About the strings, I don't blame you for criticising them or any othe sound I've used in these tunes. The Ocean and Total Outbreak are both MOD music files. I don't know if you know what MODs are, but they are made similar to how you make songs in Fruity Loops but with a little more felxibility in placing notes etc. Doesn't have the effects Fruity Loops has, but it does have some good ones....effects I never use lol. MODs are usually more on the low quality side. With my tunes I tried to make them higher quality than normal. I'd say they came out pretty good when comparing them to other MODs. Most instruments used in MODs are only 22khz, as are a few of mine in these tunes.

Thanks again!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: July 09 2003, 17:13

i've already listened to 'total outbreak' and it's ok, catchy, but it didn't hold me as much as the other two, even being in a higher quality...  anyway it's nice.

what i told u about keeping that guitar playing was just an expression... for sure, u will do it just if u feel to... :cool: i didn't mean that u should compose all your music full of storms... it was just a way to say that u are a good guitarist and that it's pleasant to listen to u (even in sunny tracks).

about winamp, i'm just downloading it. as it will allow me to listen to more music, i'm sure i'll like it. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 09 2003, 19:31

Ahh, I see :). Yes for sure I will keep playing...thanks for the encouragment.

And yes, I made Total Outbreak when I was in my electronic music phase lol. I was right into trance and catchy dance stuff then. This tune was stuck in my head and so I had to make it. I don't think much of it now as I did then. Lots of people around the web still like it, though. Doesn't mean so much to me anymore, but it is one of my best older attempts at creating a song.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: July 11 2003, 14:06

I'm gonna do this in seperate posts, if you don't mind.

La Tempestad Española

Booster said it all considering the quality. But I'd like to add that I like the chaos. :cool: Cool building up at some points. But very nice chaos! Really! Chaos chaos chaos! Wiiiii! If I try such things with a piano, it doesn't sound as nearly as good. Very nice!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 

Posted: July 14 2003, 07:50

The Ocean

Now I realise why you do ogg. Mp3 sucks indeed :) Those cimbals just don't seem to sounds right. So please don't stop using ogg in the future. :)

I agree the guitar should stand out more, especially in the first minutes. But e.g. from 5:00 on, it doesn't bother me anymore. I like the piano motive you use there, btw.

Nice job. If this would be an ogg, it would have got a place between my favourits. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: July 16 2003, 10:06

Total Outbreak

Don't like this one. Interesting sounds you produce, and the tune is a bit catchy, and some rhythms I fancy, but that's it.

--------------
Profile PM 
13 replies since July 07 2003, 22:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net