Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 24 frets< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 16:57

It has become apparent to me, that most of the ommadawn guitar tabs require a 24 fret guitar, According to Mike himself his main guitar on the album was the SG junior which is a 22 fret guitar.
If he was using a 24 fret-ter it looks like it would have been his Tv les paul, with a replacement two octave fretboard.
Also in varios Ommadawn period photo's he is pictured with a black les Paul Deluxe, which he does not seem to mention.
I would be greatfull if anyone could enlighten me on this subject.

Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 17:26

As I said in "Mike's style(s) / speeded up", the highest picked note in the main Ommadawn solo is C#5 which is on 21st fret. There also appears D#5, but that's IMO a string-bend. Well, I may be wrong. A close look at the Knebworth video could give us more information. But I don't have it. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 11 2001, 18:19

Those solos (I'm thinking the ends of parts 1 and 2) certainly have that biting sound that the SG junior has, although I suppose a similar sound could be got from a Les Paul junior/special.

I agree with Carsten - those notes sound like bends to me. Mike can be very accurate with bends, and isn't afraid to do them right at the end of the fretboard. The fact that he uses 9 gauge strings helps this. Also, in case you've never played one, SGs offer extremely easy access to those top frets, mostly because of the type of cutaway and the thin body.
Profile PM 
ex member 337 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2001, 07:50

Yes that definitely makes scence, - 'In Dulce Jubilo' has some very accurate bends up to the high E.
Carsten, in regards to knebworth:
I am pretty sure thats his L6 (24 frets but purchased later than ommadawn.) - Though there should be a big black pick guard on it, I read some where that he had the pickguard customised on that guitar, maybe this is why it is harder to recognise.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2001, 22:18

I did take a look at an avi file I've got of the knebworth video...hard to make much out really, but you might be right there about the L6...It's been customised if it is - the pickguard has gone (like you said) and there's a stop bar tailpiece instead of having the strings going through the body like on a 'factory' L6.

It looked to me like it was a 24 fret guitar, but I wasn't certain whether he was actually playing all the wway up to the 24th fret for those high notes...I'm really not sure at all, having only this dodgy quality video to go by.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2001, 17:25

And could someone tell me how does Mike play the solo in the middle of Incantations part 3?

I need to play most of it an octave higher... maybe an octavator...?

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2001, 18:06

I believe that this is also played on a 24 fret guitar. The highest note is an F, which I suspect he is actually playing by bending up from the 23rd fret. I found that I could get those notes by bending up hard on my 22 fret guitar, but to actually be able to play the solo in that way takes a lot of control over the bends - I don't think that it's really going to sound quite right if you do that (you may even find it close to impossible on some guitars). Have a go and see - I think most of it's played quite high up the neck if that's any help.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 30 2001, 17:13

O.K., I´ll tell you!!

Delfinillo

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
ex member 337 Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2001, 14:36

I am pretty confident this is the Knebworth Guitar.... http://www.oldfieldmike.de/Galerien/Portrait/Die_70er/mike05-2.jpg
Which turns out to be a customised L6
Profile PM 
8 replies since Jan. 08 2001, 16:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net