Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony, Mike takes his rightful place.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2012, 15:15

Mike was undoubtedly the star of the show, but listening to the soundtrack again, I am struck also by how good the drumming was on I will Kiss...does anyone know if he has ever worked with Evelyn Glennie before?

And the drumming on F Buttons Olympians has a very strong Ommadawn feel.

I love Caliban's dream too...captures the wonder of it all.

I think I have to download that album...there's a lot worth having on there.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:14

Are they credited as F Buttons on the album? Hee! Their real name is slightly longer.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:20

Quote (CJJC @ July 31 2012, 17:14)
Are they credited as F Buttons on the album? Hee! Their real name is slightly longer.

only by three letters!
yes they are...

I suppose it would be going too far to say that we could now consider Mike as Lord of the Rings, wouldn't it?

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 31 2012, 17:45

Quote (bee @ July 31 2012, 22:20)
Quote (CJJC @ July 31 2012, 17:14)

only by three letters!

One of the many things I am very proud of about Friday is the fact that Danny Boyle was *allowed* to have his show with so many elements that you think might have been thrown out. Fuck Buttons, Frankie says "when you wanna cum" as banned by Radio One. CND. Sex Pistols "God save the Queen and her facist regime". Would have been so easy (I guess) for the royal advisors and others to try and get it toned down *and they didn't*. Heck, Queenie even joined in the fun with that Bond thing!

Result? A show that to me really showcased Britain to the world. And, just to top the whole thing off, Mike :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:48

@ Bee: on the physical copies of the album which are being released here in Italy, they are credited as Fuck Buttons. 90% of Italians over 50 have no idea what "Fuck" means. :D Anyway, I listened to the entire album and it's definitely worth downloading. I already did - if you are interested, please PM me.

Regarding Mike's performance, well, the only thing which disappointed me - just a little - was that the only musician who was actually playing on stage was... guess who... Mike. :) The rest was entirely mimed, and you can hear from the audio of his performance (which was posted somewhere above here) that, apart from bass and lead guitar, it just consists in fragments taken from the original studio recordings of TB, FATC and IDJ, copied and pasted together, the only new bit being the jazz section in the middle (the so-called "Swingular Bells"). No-one actually played on stage apart from Mike, which I'm not really sure whether it's a plus or a minus. Maybe it's a plus. :cool:

Apart from this, the performance, and everything Mr. Boyle built around it, was simply fantastic.

EDIT: Oops, I stand corrected. The bells are live.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:59

:) Tracey ? are you asking if Mike would have worked with Evelyn Glennie ?

No he never worked with her but he should do ! She's amazing !! she "lives" her drums as Mike "lives" his guitars ! Even me in France i know her , after have seen the beautiful movie "Touch the sound " about her life i really felt in love with this woman who is deaf since 12 ; to feel better the sound she plays .... barefoot ! ;)  . In this movie Fred Frith plays guitar with her ! they are really fantastic ! She plays percussions with everything , everything is an instrument with her !

.... there's a lot of time now i had posted about her on "Other artists " forum ...
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:03

:O ..and i didn't realised that she also had played for the ceremony !
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:07

:) hello TT, yes I was wondering about her...I know exactly what you mean about the way she 'feels' or 'lives' her drums and I guess that's what is true about Mike & his guitars but I hadn't quite made the connection.  I see it now.  She fascinated me when I saw her play.  I must have missed your posts about her but will follow that up.

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:09

I just saw the video posted elsewhere - from the onstage camera - which confirmed my impression that most of the other musicians' performances (if not all of them) were mimed. For example, where are the mics on the timpani? :)

As a further correction to my post above, I'd say that only the first TB section (the so-called Introduction) is taken from the 1973 recording - the rest has been re-recorded now. But it definitely sounds like a studio recording with live elements on top, rather than a fully live performance.

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:11

;) here it is :

http://tubular.net/forums....glennie

lol  no one had replied  :D
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:14

I think also the percussion was live, the timpani man..from that video looked fairly energetic

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:24

@ bee: in spite of all the energy he could put on the timpani, there are no mics on them. What was the sound picked up by? Something in the air, as Eric Woolfson would've sang? :D It looks exactly the same as Jean Michel Jarre's "Jarre in China" show from 2004. JMJ plays a number of percussion instruments and cymbals during that show, but there aren't any mics on any of them.

About Evelyn Glennie, take a look at the video below here. You will notice that she speaks very normally and not like Marlee Matiln (with all due respect to her - she's a wonderful actress), not only because she wasn't born deaf, but because she listens with her whole body, as she explains perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....675949C

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:35

Quote (Tubular Tos @ July 31 2012, 18:11)
lol  no one had replied  :D

Oh bless!

I think we may be hearing more about her or even from her from now on...

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:38

@Ugo...Ok ...thanks for letting me know, i was not looking closely enough!

great clip about Evelyn Glennie, I will watch it all the way through at a later date.

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:50

:) Thanks Ugo !

...well i'm French so i can't hear much the difference but i've always asked to myself if she speaks like this because she's deaf or because this is ..  her(rrrrr) Scot accent !  :p  Ver(rrr)y inter(rrr)esting  to know !
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 19:16

@ Tos: yes, it's just a matter of heRRRR Scottish accent :), which of course sounds unnatural... especially to you French people, with your marvellous, loveable, extremely sweet R's... :D ... like in Le FigaRo... just wonderful!! :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 19:33

:laugh:  lol even in France there's a difference to this R if you live in South or North !

.. just noticed that she speaks a little like Bjork ! Iceland not so far from Scots .. ahhh Bjork when you speak in English ! :zzz:    :laugh:
Profile PM 
drorlast Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 04:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjenmsITnBs
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 14:33

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination
and life to everything........said Plato

Tubular Bells......said Mike Oldfield

;)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 19:17

Well,the hospital where Mike was born was a NHS hospital...bloody hell,that makes more sense to me now besides his parents' background!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
67 replies since July 27 2012, 16:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net