Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 2 small questions: HDCD (again) and Compilations...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
phoenix Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 06 2001, 19:09

Hi! I'm a new member of this board, and I really could use some help... I'm a big fan of MO, and I'm trying to "collect" all albums of him. But after researching a lot, I still have 2 "little" questions...

1: HDCD vs. "Old Ones"
I have some albums in the "old plain" CD format, and I have some in the new HDCD. I've heard that the HDCD have MUUUUUCH better sound, and I heard the opposite. So, for you ppl, and not considering the errors in the covers (because what I care is the music), should I sell the old copies and buy all titles as HDCD, sell the new ones and try to find the oldies, or keep the things like I have, because there's no difference between them, and it was only a way of Virgin rip off some money? wink

2: Compilations with New Tracks
This one is "easy": Wich compilations (if any) have new tracks not included in any album? I usually don't buy compilations of any artist that I own all albums, unless there's some new tracks that I don't have...

TIA for your help!
Profile PM 
phoenix Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2001, 18:51

Hey, ppl... Can anybody help me (at least with 1st question)?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2001, 20:15

My answers:

1) It depends on whether you like old albums better than new ones or vice versa. Because all the albums from Killing Fields onwards are all recorded on digital tape, so the differences between the "usual" copies and the HDCD remasters are really unnoticeable. smile But the albums MO made from 1973 (TB) to 1982 (Crises) do REALLY sound much better on HDCDs.

2) The Complete Mike Oldfield is a good compilation, because it has lots of rare singles and non-album tracks. But if you want a really beautiful MO comp, get the four-CD edition of Elements. It's hard to find and expensive, but well worth the trouble and the money. smile smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
phoenix Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2001, 06:42

Know what? A huge thanks for your simple effective reply. "I can see cleary now the rain has gone..." smile

I was considering The Complete MO anyway, because I had it on original K7 some years ago (It was my first approach to MO) and I loved so much that I listen them till the point thaeres no music in it frown I kept the box, and sent the tapes to garbage frown

Anyway, now I can complete my collection knowing what to look for. Thanks!
Profile PM 
3 replies since Aug. 06 2001, 19:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net