Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 1998 - Tubular Bells III @ Horseguard's Parade, Who else was there?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 17 2002, 14:02

Which of you die-hards got wet that very rainy night? Does anyone have any interesting memories? I'll get round to posting mine in a bit. It was an awesome concert!!!

Ollie, writing an essay on HG Wells's The Time Machine

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2002, 18:36

I was unfortunatley away in Keafelonia at the time but from watching the video the concert looks awesome,especially at the encore when Secrets kicked in.Everybody was up and dancing at the end.Was there some sort of power cut as at one stage the lighing on the stage was very non existent?

Also,was the concert longer than the tracks we get on the video?.I think I will get the DVD as the sound quality will be much better.

I was at the Edinburgh concert but that was too stifled and less spontanious than the Horsegaurds,almost like a classical concert.

There is definatley a good vibe that comes out from the horsegaurds video.Even the musicians look like they are genuinly enjoying the concert in the rain which is more than I can say of my experiences watching Jarre at the Docklands in driving rain,wind and cold way back in 1988. :/
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2002, 17:04

i wasn't at the horseguard's parade but i was in the tblll concert in leganés-madrid, 1999 and i recall a great concert, i have to say that although i prefer tbll rather than tblll, regarding the live versions i felt much emotion in tblll, there was something different in the air, tbll live was colder and more predictable...
my experience in leganés was very nice, from the very beginning... i went with two friends and they wanted to sit in the stairs :O and u know... i couldn't help tell them 'ok, see u later for a beer in one of the clubs outside the bullring' and i went down alone to the sand :D and there the feeling was... in spanish we would say 'de buen rollito' something like friendly and smooth... there, i met some guys who had come from andalucía, in the south of spain, and we had a lot of fun speaking about mike's music while waiting and later listening to the concert,  it was great... it seemed everyone were kinda friends and melt with the music...
i can not speak much about technic... but the feeling was... something as if mike gave the best of him. there was a peaceful mood even in the strongest parts of the concert...
in this case, no rain but a warm summer night and also an awesome gig
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 18 2002, 20:51

September 4th 1998...it was a bit wet that night, wasn't it? ;)

The atmosphere was quite amazing though, almost as if the audience was hypnotised by the music (or perhaps just everyone was huddled up trying to keep the rain out ;) ). I actually thought that the weather was quite appropriate for an album which starts with the sound of thunder and has the song 'Man In The Rain' at its centre point...

Funny was the mildly pissed off way that Mike said "If I can get my band back on stage..." on returning for the encore.

Rain got into one of the generators at one point, which is why the lights go out during Man In The Rain. I thought that having Mike and Pepsi isolated in spotlights looked quite effective, though.

The concert started with an excerpt from Tubular Bells, timed to begin just as the bells at Horseguards started to chime. They played Tubular Bells III after that, followed by Moonlight Shadow and Family Man, then concluding with the encore of Secrets/Far Above The Clouds which is on the video.
Profile PM 
iancampbell79 Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2002, 04:44

I was there!

Awsome was not the word.

I've never been as wet before or since, but somehow I didn't seem to notice (or care).

Anyone know who the guy was who did the warm-up?
Is it possible to get the Tubular Bells extract bit of the concert anywhere?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2002, 03:52

Yeah, the DVD version is amazing: all heaps of good tracks. It is a lot more like a rock concert than the Tubular Bells II one, a lot more room for improvisation and alteration on tracks such as Outcast, Man in the Rain and Far Above the Clouds. Yes, the rain was appropriate with Man in the Rain going on. I didn't actually notice that the power goes out: it just seemed to be another lighting effect. I suppose it just turned out in the best possable way!

Does anyone have a mp3 of Tubular Bells, Moonlight Shadow etc. from the concert. It wasn't on the DVD, but I would very much like to hear them.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 23 2002, 16:42

The support artist was singer/songwriter Martyn Joseph - you can read all about him on his website.

The concert was broadcast on Spanish TV - I think you'll find that some people have copies which have made their way onto the net...I don't know any more than that, though.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2002, 21:37

a pity i don't have a copy of it...
i've been searching on the net and i haven't found anything yet, but i posted a message on a spanish forum, so i'll let u know if i find out something about it

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2002, 15:36

in spain it was broadcasted by a public television, la 2, and i found someone who might have it since he's got a lot of audio stuff (concerts since the 70s...) if anyone is interested i could tell u the web where i found him (in spanish)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2002, 17:00

It absolutely poured that night and nobody cared! It was a fantastic performance, really atmospheric. Hearing the whole of Tubular Bells Part 1 live was fantastic, as were Moonlight Shadow and Family Man. And of course...Tubular Bells III! When the sound of the wind came through the speakers and the high pitched tones of the wine glasses came through, everyone was spellbound. I didn't remember Mike saying to get his band back on stage in a pissed off voice but it was 4 years ago! The floating balls of light were really cool and because it was a fairly small venue (only 7000 or so) everyone had a good view. At least I know I did. I just can't wait for him to play live again (I caught him on the Then and Now tour, front row centre, but even that was 3 years ago!;)

Earlier in the day I'd been to teh Dark Star convention and picked up some old singles which was great. Thinking back I'm surprised they managed to keep dry!

Ollie,
listening to live mp3s of Radiohead playing stuff from their forthcoming album

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since Dec. 17 2002, 14:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net