Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 10 Albums You Can't Live Without, What are forum members top 10 albums?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 06 2009, 20:53

Quote (miar @ Aug. 06 2009, 14:31)
Yes - Close to the Edge

Ah, Close to the Edge. That - along with Relayer -were my favourite albums at one stage, but now I just associate them with the dead past. (I must be the most musically disloyal person in existence!;) It's interesting how the vocals in "Close to the Edge" itself sound like Pink Floyd half way through. So do the vocals in the second half of Coldplay's "Fix You", in my opinion. I remember the first time I heard the latter - it was in a shopping mall - I thought Gilmour had released something new!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 06 2009, 22:58

Hmm…started this last week and lost the post. Wonder if the list is even the same? Well, number 1 would always be, in any list,  Incantations.

The rest vary and aren’t in any particular order.

Ommadawn, though someone sat on it and broke it awhile ago, so I am living without atm. Well, not really, since it’s on my iPod. In fact, that’s what I’ll have with me – my ancient 60 gig iPod and solar battery. Certainly Apple, being green (oooo—Green Apple???) would have a solar NRG cell, non?

Tubular Bells II

The Songs of Distant Earth

Gorecki -  3rd Symphony

Sibelius  -  Finlandia/Tone Poems

Pain of Salvation -  Perfect Element

Genesis -  Selling England by the Pound

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings (wow--this new work is amazing! )

Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 03:24

Close to the Edge was one of those 1973 important recordings to me. Love it. It was played constantly while I was 12yo. Why not do a top ten "On an Island"(Gilmour Plug!;) based in 1973?

1. MO-TB1
2. America-Hat Trick
3. Steely Dan-Countdown to Ecstacy
4. Yes-Close to the Edge
5. Alice Cooper-Billion Dollar Babies
6. Grand Funk-We're an American Band
7. Seals and Crofts-Diamond Girl
8. Isley Brothers-Who's That Lady(incl. Summer Breeze reboot)
9. Led Zep-Houses of the Holy
10. ELP-Brain Salad Surgery

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 03:26

I am so dumb. "Dark Side of the Moon". Delete the Isley brothers and insert that!
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 05:00

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 07 2009, 01:53)
Quote (miar @ Aug. 06 2009, 14:31)
Yes - Close to the Edge

Ah, Close to the Edge. That - along with Relayer -were my favourite albums at one stage, but now I just associate them with the dead past. (I must be the most musically disloyal person in existence!;) It's interesting how the vocals in "Close to the Edge" itself sound like Pink Floyd half way through. So do the vocals in the second half of Coldplay's "Fix You", in my opinion. I remember the first time I heard the latter - it was in a shopping mall - I thought Gilmour had released something new!

Relayer was the first Yes album I bought(I think I decided I liked that cover the most) And I bought it on the back of being into Vangelis/Jon & Vangelis I suppose.I think I may have also read that Relayer was the album Vangelis kind of "auditioned" for as well,but they decided to go with Patrick Moraz instead..Anyway first time round I absolutely hated it,I just could`nt get to grips with it all.Plus my record deck at the time was so patheticaly inappropriate for such a charged and challenging work,I probably wished I`d gone out and bought the Racey album or something.I kind of started to like it a little after I`d listened to it a few more times,but I must admit at that precise moment in time I had them well and truly marked down as "no further investigation required"

A good few months later I must`ve decided to give them another go and went out and bought Close To The Edge.My hi-fi had radicaly improved in the interim,plus also the cover was somewhat "plainer" and that had to be a good sign I no doubt simpleton mused.Anyway I was completely blown away by it,and it became one of my favourite albums for years.Plus it made me start to appreciate Relayer a whole lot more as well.I learned to embrace it`s comparitive steely coldness I suppose.I`d still put them in my top 5 favourite Yes albums today.With the other three being Time And A Word,Magnification and Drama.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 15:47

Moonchildhip, - yes - definately you have to do the handclaps to "Radio Ga Ga", even on your bicycle. For me it's Queen's best (1983) song.

Well, if my friend Scatter is permitted to take additional (1973) albums to his island, then I would like albums from my favourite year - 1978 - [the "Incantations" year!!].

1. Incantations - MO
2. And Then There Were Three - GENESIS
3. Variations - ANDREW L WEBBER
4. Kate Bush - THE KICK INSIDE
5. Rumours - FLEETWOOD MAC
6. War of The Worlds - JEFF WAYNE
7. City to City - GERRY RAFFERTY
8. Outlandos D'Amour - POLICE
9. Out of The Blue - ELO
10 Saturday Night Fever - SOUNDTRACK  :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 19:54

Well, we've had similar threads before, and i 've watched this one and been amazed at how similar some of the lists were to mine. But then we are here because we have a common ground in Mike's music so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

But getting down to just 10 albums to take on a desert island? Really hard work

I would limit Mike to just 2 albums

1) TSODE
2) OMMADAWN

Then the Golden Oldies-

3) - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds
4) Jon & Vangelis - Short Stories
5) JMJ - Equinox
6) ELO - Out of the Blue
7) The Buggles - Age of Plastic
8) Peter Gabriel - Hit

and a couple of modern ones -

9) Kaiser Cheifs - Yours truly, Angry Mob
10) Lily Allen - that 1st album

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 22:16

Wiga & Scatterplot...I tell you what guys I`m pretty sure Out Of The Blue is 1977 and Close To The Edge is 1972.In fact off the top of my head I think Saturday Night Fever is 77 as well.Anyway who the hell cares,it`s a cool idea Jim.And now at the risk of getting a couple of these slightly out myself,I`m gonna` go with my favourite year: 1979(the year Sunderland won the cup..For bloody Arsenal!;)

1.Mike Oldfield..Platinum
2.XTC..Drums & Wires
3.Wings..Back To The Egg
4.The Stranglers..The Raven
5.Dave Edmunds..Repeat When Neccesary
6.The Buzzcocks..A Different Kind Of Tension
7.Roxy Music..Manifesto
8.Jethro Tull..Stormwatch
9.Nick Lowe..Labour Of Lust
10.Joe Jackson..I`m The Man

And I`ve still had to miss out Pink Floyd(The Wall)Neil Young(Rust Never Sleeps)Elvis Costello(Armed Forces)..and err blimey loads more albums,(pretenders,damned,siouxsie,specials,vangelis,the jam,squeeze,)aaargh it`s still bloody impossible.Anyway with so many other great albums in people`s lists here. I`m kinda` hoping that we`re all gonna` be on the same desert island so we can mix and match stuff a little bit.Any chance I can borrow your copy of City To City Wiga? Ah man and now I`ve just remembered I could`ve brought Night Owl(79) as well dang it!

@Olrac Uk any chance you could do a list for about 80 or 81 so we can have some New Musik or Friends Of Mr Cairo maybe?..Come on,you know you want to..     :D

Prompted by this thread I`m currently listening to Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade..Don`t worry Inkanta I promise to look after it.  ;)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 00:26

I'll take Renaissance Sheherazade.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 07:43

If one is marooned on a desert island, the thing to do is not to spend too much time listening to music, but to concentrate on foraging for food and building a raft. So, sadly, I shan't take any classical records to my desert island; they'd be too long (although Richard Strauss's opera Ariadne auf Naxos would be the ideal choice). Indeed, it would be impractical to waste time on any albums; so I'd restrict myself to ten short songs. These are the ones I like most currently; no doubt this will change:

1. "Fix You" - Coldplay.
2. "Swallowed in the Sea" - Coldplay.
3. "The Hardest Part" - Coldplay.
4. "Islands" - Mike Oldfield.
5. "This World" - The Dream Academy.
6. "The Party" - The Dream Academy.
7. "Big Theme" - Pink Floyd.
8. "The Destruction of Laurel Canyon" - Youth Group.
9. "Baby Body" - Youth Group.
10. "Forever Young" - Alphaville.

Now where did I put those ropes and tar...?
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 09:35

Oh, I dunno....I tend to mow the lawn with my iPod (well, actually I use a lawnmower and only listen to the iPod), clean the house and weed while playing music, drive with music blaring, etc., so I  suspect that I would be listening to music while gathering food and building a raft.  Nice thing about my classic iPod -- it is shiny like a mirror, which might come in handy. :)

Re: Desert Islands--indeed, who said we have to be on the island alone, eh?  That way we have lots of music and can eventually think about collaborating on raft construction. Hmm. With an ample food supply (can even ferment the fruit), lots of music, solar powered batteries, etc., not sure when I'd want to leave. :D

Hope, Dirk, that you are enjoying Scheherazade.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 09:41

The Dream Acadamy were a great band,whatever happened to Nick Laird Clowes?I just recently downloaded their 2nd album about 20 years after it came out(I`ve had their first album since it was released) Anwyay it`s a very worthy follow up,I can`t understand why they were`nt more popular?Kate St John has recorded some good albums since they split.Her album with Roger Eno (The Familar) which is a mixture of songs and instrumental pieces is one of my all time favourites.

@Inkanata always enjoy listening to Schererezade,it was one of my dad`s favourites when I was a kid.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 09:47

I still can`t spell the bloomin` thing though,and it was there written out for me.   :p
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 10:29

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 08 2009, 00:26)
I'll take Renaissance Sheherazade.

Renaissance? I owned Azure D'Or at one point, loved it for about a month - then it started to seem rather twee (making all the "right" moves in order to sound "classical") and it then made a short sharp trip to frisbee land!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 10:33

Quote (Inkanta @ Aug. 08 2009, 09:35)
Re: Desert Islands--indeed, who said we have to be on the island alone, eh?  

It's all part of the Desert Island Code, Inkanta. So, yes, you'll be totally on your own, and you can erase from your mind entirely any thought of having chocolate while you're there! Coconuts and spring water are de rigeur.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 11:28

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 08 2009, 15:33)
Quote (Inkanta @ Aug. 08 2009, 09:35)
Re: Desert Islands--indeed, who said we have to be on the island alone, eh?  

It's all part of the Desert Island Code, Inkanta. So, yes, you'll be totally on your own, and you can erase from your mind entirely any thought of having chocolate while you're there! Coconuts and spring water are de rigeur.

What about Lord Of The Flies?Robinson Crusoe?Swiss FAMILY Oldfield???..Or the tv series Lost,cripes there`s bloomin` loads of em on that island.Off the top of my head Castaway with Tom Hanks is the only one I can think of where he was completely alone.And even he managed to catch some fish,once he`d become fed up with all those cocunuts.

I have spoken!  :p
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 16:46

:laugh:

What's with the guy blowing the shell - you're losing me now...

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 20:02

Oooh--Dirk--you are my hero! Chocolate Island! I want to book a stranding right now (can one do such things??)--especially after the last two days I've had!!! And here for a second I thought I really might have to be alone, without chocolate, as per nightspore's remarks--though I was thinking how the two things I will be sure to have on hand would be my iPod and a good supply of chocolate, hahaha! Oh yeah, and those 10 CDs and player (glad to have so many library bags).

And then I thought of my daughter Kayleigh's friend who was on a project in Senegal and fell off a short cliff into the sea--with her computer and all her electronics--and how such a thing would ruin an iPod, a CD player and the chocolate (well, maybe not the chocolate). Her friend was fine, btw, well, until she came down with malaria despite having had the 98% effective shot. She has completely recovered from all her ordeals, I am happy to say.

Chocolate coconut- YUM!!!!!!  Besides, cacao trees are tropical, so I really would hope for an island with a grove of cacao trees...and maybe some sugar cane to sweeten--OOOHHH--gonna have to take a manual on DYI chocolate!

I also thought of Gilligan's Island, where there were several people stranded together. Wonder if there are some episodes on hulu?  <easily sidetracked these days>

:cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 20:38

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 08 2009, 16:46)
:laugh:

What's with the guy blowing the shell - you're losing me now...

It's a character from Lord of the Flies, wiga. One of the kids who gets stuck on the island.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 20:47

@ Dirk: I saw the film version of Lord of the Flies (which I guess is where the shell-blowing kid image is from) and I loved it, which I didn't expect at all, having read Golding's novel before watching the film and having found it really, really sad. About "Swiss Family Robinson", I never saw the show but I think I know the sig tune, thanks to dkaycom... :D... wasn't it "Maybe" by Thom Pace? I just love that tune. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
90 replies since July 27 2009, 19:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net