[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: fans who are around 17 years old< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
sally Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2000, 09:37

Hello everybody
I just logged in as a new member.I'm 17 years old and I would be glad getting post of Mike Oldfield fans who are my age,because nobody of my friends knows/likes his music.
Thanks. Sally.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: July 26 2000, 12:58

You're in luck! I'm 17, and a self-confessed Mike Oldfield fanatic (to see the extent of my condition, just click on my profile to look at all my previous posts, and you'll see how hopeless I am! smile).
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: July 27 2000, 10:05

I'm 17 as well. I'm in Western Australia though, which is probably one of the worst places for a Mike Oldfield fan. I have to import most of the albums and the chance of a concert down here is almost non-existant. I have never been able to find another fan in my state (or even country for that matter), but it's good to know that there are fans my age though.
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: July 27 2000, 16:42

Oh,I'd rather not tell you how old am I, but I'm one of the youngest fans...

[This message has been edited by Alexander (edited 07-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Alexander(edited 07-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by alex (edited 07-28-2000).]
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: July 29 2000, 06:02

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rosko in the "criticism and humour" section:
You've really hit the nail on the head there bennyboy! I too am tired of people in the forum calling Mike's newer work "soulless". As for The Millennium Bell, it's got just a few low points but overall it's a great album. Just listen to "Lake Constance". How can anyone call that "soulless"? I think it's one of his best tracks in recent years.
By the way, I noticed that you have heard of Bardot (DOWN WITH THAT RUBBISH!!! STUPID MASS-MANUFACTURED POP!!! DON'T GO THINKING I LIKE THEM!!!). The reason that interests me is that it might mean that you are in Australia, their country of origin. If so, please post a message to the Australian fans section in Fans around the world. I'd love to hear from some Australian Mike Oldfield fans - sometimes it seems like I'm the only one!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Rosko, I am a 17 year old university student from the Northern Territory in Australia. I too thought that I was the only one because every time I cited MO as my favourite musical dude people responded with:
"Mike who?"
or occasionally
"That Tubular Bells guy, right?"

Oh, and yes, Bardot suck like nothing else. Those who go on about how crap "Earth Moving" was should listen to some of their work.

It was the fact that I had become so jaded at the state of the modern music industry that made me turn to MO in the first place. I couldn't stand most of the grunge (a bunch of guys who can't sing shouting on about how f---ed up society is) and rap (a bunch of black guys who can't sing stuttering on about how f---ed up society is) being churned out by the record companies. The rest seemed to be prettyboy/girl poppers singing two sorts of songs: the "what can i do, i'm so in love with you" sort and the "get up and i'll make you get down" sort. You see how terribly cynical I am?

Anyway, I'd better sign off now, nice chattin and all...

Profile PM 
Kara Offline

Posted: July 31 2000, 02:51

Hi Everyone!
Well, I'm 19 - but that's 'around 17', right? and I'm from Adelaide - South Australia. It's so hard being this age when most of your freinds are right into pop crap, and well basically all the top 40 stuff, and they have never heard of Mike Oldfield. Hey what music would everyone suggest to play when my friends are around to get them hooked? I mean, I don't want to push them into liking MO, but it would be so great if I got my friends into him. Usually I play TSODE since that's what got me hooked on him in the first place, or TB3 when my freinds are around, but they just don't seem to even notice frown

~Kara
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: July 31 2000, 11:02

Originally posted by Kara:
Hi Everyone!
Well, I'm 19 - but that's 'around 17', right? and I'm from Adelaide - South Australia. It's so hard being this age when most of your freinds are right into pop crap, and well basically all the top 40 stuff, and they have never heard of Mike Oldfield. Hey what music would everyone suggest to play when my friends are around to get them hooked? I mean, I don't want to push them into liking MO, but it would be so great if I got my friends into him. Usually I play TSODE since that's what got me hooked on him in the first place, or TB3 when my freinds are around, but they just don't seem to even notice frown

~Kara

If all else fails play "Earth Moving".

This album (commonly considered by all the purists to be one of his worst ever albums, and unfairly IMHO) is easily his most accessible album to date. Of hall his instrumental pieces I find "Crises" and "Platinum" work best.
(God, we could start up a new internet group "The Oldfield Evangelists" or something)

I think it's just a lot of us young folk aren't really into instrumental music unless it has a thumping dance beat. And the stuff on "TB3" and "TMB" is much slower than what I consider to be "real" techno music.

I also find that people who know how to play a musical instrument or are familiar with aspects of music theory tend to appreciate Mikey Boy's work more for some reason. Anyone else got any thoughts on this...

Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: July 31 2000, 18:18

I'm 16. That's near enough 17 isn't it?

Originally posted by alex:
Oh,I'd rather not tell you how old am I, but I'm one of the youngest fans...

Why can't you tell us your age. Is it much younger than we would expect in single figures or is it not that young?

Replying to bennyboy's post: I wouldn't really want to play Mike's music to people who aren't into that type of thing. It's better to keep the secret to yourself, and I'm talking about the long instrumentals, not the more mainstream pieces

Posted by bennyboy:
I also find that people who know how to play a musical instrument or are familiar with aspects of music theory tend to appreciate Mikey Boy's work more for some reason. Anyone else got any thoughts on this...

I totally agree with you on this. Is there anybody on this board who can't play an instrument or who doesn't know that much about music theory?
Profile PM 
sally Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2000, 07:27

Originally posted by rosko:
I'm 17 as well. I'm in Western Australia though, which is probably one of the worst places for a Mike Oldfield fan. I have to import most of the albums and the chance of a concert down here is almost non-existant. I have never been able to find another fan in my state (or even country for that matter), but it's good to know that there are fans my age though.

Hi Rosko
I can understand that you are hopeless.Mike Oldfield fans who are our age are really hard to find.In Germany it's the same.Nobody of my friends knows MO.But it's great that there's at least a fan from Australia who's my age.(australia must be a wonderful country.I'd love to go thone time.)How did you get in contact with Mike's music.I know it from my dad.He has all his records and is a fan since years.So I grew up with Mike's music.I always liked it,but since I was about 14 I love it.It's really bad,that you can't buy some of his cds in Australia.In Germany he isn't too popular too (Especially for the young people),but you can buy his cds everywhere and he plays concerts.I've already been to one last year.Just fantastic!!!!It would have been my dream to see him playing live in Berlin at the Millennium.But it wasn't possible for me to get there.
Anyway,I'd be happy if you'd write back.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2000, 18:47

Originally posted by sally:
How did you get in contact with Mike's music? I know it from my dad. He has all his records and is a fan since years.So I grew up with Mike's music.I always liked it, but since I was about 14 I love it.

I got into Mike's music in a way that was quite lucky. My Dad never bought any of his records and he has only just heard of TB, HR and Ommadawn when they were released

I found a copy of TB on an offer on the internet. I thought I might get it my parents who just know a tiny bit about it said that it was in the UK album charts for a long time, and I also saw that the tracklist only had two tracks and they were both around 20 minutes. Very strange and different for me

So I decided to get it. I wanted to find out a bit more about it so I looked on the net for MO sites and found a list of all his albums - a very big list, and I only thought he wrote TB and In Dulci Jubilo (which you always hear in shops around Christmas time). I managed to find the LP of HR as everybody in the know knows that you should get this instead of the CD. And here I am now willing to collect every album he's done (except perhaps the compilations).

I'm repeating myself from another message which I posted. I wouldn't have to repeat myself if anybody read it :-(

I'd like to hear from other people how they got into Mike's music. Even though it's written on your info you could write a bit more here
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2000, 00:44

PLEASE NOTE ALL OF YOU:
I was only JOKING when I suggested going around converting everyone to Mikey Boy's music. Although my musical tastes are different to some other peoples, and I do think that Mike perhaps doesn't get the recognition he deserves, I can respect other peoples opinions. Which is why you don't see me flaming those on this forum who like "Heaven's Open" and dislike "Earth Moving". I have no wish to enforce my opinions upon others, only to share them.

Anyway, back to the main topic of conversation, how I found out about Mike Oldfield. My parents have a very, VERY, large cd collection, and I remember when I was nine or ten I used to rat through it and pick things out at random to see "whatever made them tick back then", or something. This was how I came across some of my all time favourite albums including Paul Simon's "Graceland", Jeff Wayne's "War Of The Worlds", Robbie Robertson's "Storyville" and Bob Dylans "Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid". It is also how I came across Terry Oldfield's (MO's brother) album "Spirit Of Africa", which I found surprisingly good. I was telling my Dad, who isn't really into new age, and he said something like "If you liked that then you should try this..." That was how I found out about "Tubular Bells". I sat back awestruck when I heard the sound that came out of the stereo, it was like nothing else I had ever heard before in my life. After "Tubular Bells" I became much more interested in music in genreal, especially classical music. This was when I was nine. I didn't find out about Mike's other work until I was around 15 when, cruising through a cd shop I bought "The Songs Of Distant Earth" on a whim, and because I noticed it was by "that Tubular Bells guy" (who as far as I knew had disappeared of the face of the earth after the bells). This completely blew me away, I was expecting something more like "the bells" but this was different, and managed to be "atmospheric" without being boring (like a lot of new age atmosphere music out there, Terry O. excepted...). Afterthat I bought "Tubular Bells 2" and "XXV: The Essential Mike Oldfield". "XXV" astounded me by showing the variety in this guys music, and since then I've gradually built up my collection of Oldfield stuff (I now have all the "official" albums except "QE2" and "Exposed") I like Mikey Boy because his music has such a unique flavour and diversity of styles.

Any other teens out there with a "How I got turned on to Mikey Boy" story...

Originally posted by 2distortedguitars:
I got into Mike's music in a way that was quite lucky. My Dad never bought any of his records and he has only just heard of TB, HR and Ommadawn when they were released

I found a copy of TB on an offer on the internet. I thought I might get it my parents who just know a tiny bit about it said that it was in the UK album charts for a long time, and I also saw that the tracklist only had two tracks and they were both around 20 minutes. Very strange and different for me

So I decided to get it. I wanted to find out a bit more about it so I looked on the net for MO sites and found a list of all his albums - a very big list, and I only thought he wrote TB and In Dulci Jubilo (which you always hear in shops around Christmas time). I managed to find the LP of HR as everybody in the know knows that you should get this instead of the CD. And here I am now willing to collect every album he's done (except perhaps the compilations).

I'm repeating myself from another message which I posted. I wouldn't have to repeat myself if anybody read it :-(

I'd like to hear from other people how they got into Mike's music. Even though it's written on your info you could write a bit more here

Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2000, 02:08

In a way I've been into Mike's music all my life, except that most of it was just Tubular Bells until a couple of years ago.

My parents both had vinyl copies of TB before they met and I grew up listening to it heaps over the years, never knowing very much about Mike or his other work. One of the copies is a quadraphonic but I never had access to a quad player, I just played that one in the stereo player after the stereo version started sounding scratchy from repeated playing.

About two or three years ago, I joined a CD club but was soon running out of things I wanted to buy from them. It was at that point that I noticed they had a CD version of Tubular Bells. I decided to get it as I liked the idea of hearing it in CD quality.

Then, about two months later, it was time to get another CD from the club. This time I noticed that they had just received XXV: The Essential Mike Oldfield. I thought it would be excellent to discover his other work, so I went ahead and bought it. That was one of the best CD-buying decisions of my life!!!! I was amazed at both the amount of work he had done over the years and of course, how absolutely brilliant it was!!!! My favourite track was definately the incredibly exciting Ommadawn excerpt which is still my favourite piece of music to this day (and my favourite album!)

Ever since then I have been collecting his albums whenever I can. I now have just 7 to go before I have a full collection. The only problem is that I am a complete failure when it comes to making other people fans.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2000, 16:57

Hey hey!! I'm 17, but i've been a fan since i was about 15. When i first heard Tubular Bells on a commerical for "Pure Moods" CD i was instantly amazed. I bought the sheet music, and i can now play Tubular Bells on the piano. My fav. album is Tubular Bells 3. It really is hard to get some of Mike Oldfield's music out here in the USA. The only reason why i got TB3 was because i was in England for a school trip, and when i was there i bought it.

I've also got to admit that none of my friends have really no idea about any of his music, except for hearing me play TB at a talent show at school (or hearing the real thing off the movie "The Exorcist"). It's pretty cool to hear that there are kids around the same age that do like his music. :]

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2000, 18:25

Very hopefully I plan to do a cover of Incantations for the school to perform. If you can help in any way please email me.

I wonder how many people who attend the performance would know MO's music or even the instrumental?
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2000, 10:03

Well, if your planning on doing Incantations part one then good luck to you. All of the time signature changes in the opening section (and where it's used again) would be very hard to transpose. If you ARE doing part 1 and have trouble with that section, I'll be glad to help you transpose it.

[This message has been edited by rosko (edited 08-31-2000).]
Profile PM 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2000, 06:29

Whow.How I forget to told you that I'm 17 years old.I love Mike since my 13-th year and I'm almost the onlyone that hear music from Mike in my country-Macedonia.I like the most Tubular Bells 1,2,3 , TSODE , Voyager , The Millennium Bell , Incantations , and Ommadawn and Islands.If you want to contact me send me a mail.My e-mail is tubulargorjan@yahoo.com
Profile PM 
ComaBlack Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2000, 15:23

Does 20 count?
Profile PM 
sally Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 06:13

No problem - 20 is OK!
How did you discover Mike Oldfield? I don't think he's very famous in Australia,is he?
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 08:07

How about 15? It's closer than 20, but the opposite direction. And while Mike Oldfield's music is not overly played in Australia, other than Moonlight Shadow, the benefits of living in England for most of my life meant that I was introduced to Mike at the age of 3 by one piece of music: Blue Peter!

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 09:45

I'm 18, which is close to 17 as well. I was 17 last year, and that is very close.

I first became interested in Mike Oldfield when the TB2 concert was broadcast on TV. I bought TB2, TB1 and then The Complete Mike Oldfield. After that I was hooked and started buying all the albums.

Given that the concert was in 1992 or thereabouts, I must have been about 10 at the time.

I think that most people only remember Mike for TB1. Another thing most people get wrong is that because TB came out in the early 1970s, they assume that Mike must be in his mid-fifties by now.
Profile PM 
60 replies since July 26 2000, 09:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net