Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Group Project?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 13 2003, 11:37

There have been quite a number of people who've been interested in joining in - I'd think that when this one's finished (or even before...), there'll be some people interested in working on another similar project (another version of Finale, The Bell...or something else!).

There was some worry before about the bells, I think, but I can assure everyone that they work very well, having a good amount of 'doon!' (to borrow a word from Tom Newman) to the sound.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 13 2003, 14:08

you make me happy one more time :D

I appreciate that ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: July 26 2003, 12:40

Was talking to Crises about this collaboration earlier. We were talking about our different parts and jokingly he said "If all goes well we can do the entire Tubular Bells." Despite the fact that it would take a WHILE and probably be a nightmare to mix, it would actually be interesting and would give other people a chance at playing some parts. For instance, if we had 4 bass players wanting to do a bass part, they could split the different bass parts between them so everyone has a chance to play something.

Then we got a little too crazy and started talking about how Hergest Ridge is too low quality and Ommadawn too quiet...... ;)

Ahh to dream...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 26 2003, 14:24

Goodness me, are you nuts!? ;)

You're actually right, it would be fun to try (I'd love to have a go at doing the piltdown man! ), but it would be a serious undertaking.
To give an idea of the size it could grow to, the project file for Finale is currently pushing 24 tracks (though some of that's because I've gone to town with the layers a little...you'll find out if it's worthwhile when you hear it! ) and that's counting various stereo things as one track. There are still a few things to go in there as well, so it'll get bigger...that adds up to a lot of things to tweak when it comes to mixdown!
So, you can probably imagine what putting together something like Tubular Bells would be like - it would take a lot of enthusiasm!

That's not to say it can't be done - some of you might have seen, for example, Drew Minasian's topic in the ccover tracks section. He's recorded his own version of the whole of Amarok (though you can only download a small bit), but it did take him several years, I believe.
Some of you might also have seen the messages from Mirko on the Amarok mailing list - he was interested in recording a fan version of Tubular Bells, though from the sample of his I heard, I believe he was thinking more along the lines of creating a new Tubular Bells style album (like Music, the ancient language...'s Tubular Bells IV - better watch out! ).

Perhaps it's best to try out doing just a few different sections and seeing how that works out, they can always be joined together later (though of course, for things to remain consistent, they'd really have to be mixed by the same person...uh oh... :O).
Profile PM 

Posted: July 26 2003, 15:35

Yes, I know it would take forever and a lot of motivation. I'm not saying let's do it, I'm saying it would be interesting. Though this is a little different than that fan Amarok song because everyone is doing a different part and not just one person doing it all.

Perhaps it's best to try out doing just a few different sections and seeing how that works out, they can always be joined together later

I'd do that if enough people were interested. I think it would be fun.

though of course, for things to remain consistent, they'd really have to be mixed by the same person...uh oh...

Hehe ;)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: July 26 2003, 17:40

If you need a piano, you know where to find one. ;)

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: July 27 2003, 09:53

well any synths? bells? electronica stuff? :)))

you know who to call :)

well I think you know my skills...so just call :D

lol I hope so heh

--------------
Profile PM 
Link Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 27 2003, 17:47

WOW... Guys, you're doing a great job here!!!!
If you want any help with this project, tell me.

For example: why don't you shut up!!!!
i'll do that...  :D

Link

--------------
Now Link has saved the day
Put Ganon in his grave
So now Zelda is free, and now our hero shall be..
Link, I think your name shall go down into history!

System of a Down: Legend of Zelda
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 29 2003, 04:35

Time for an update, I think!

I've now got the final double speed guitar part down, and I've put down a mandolin as well (also double speed as per the original, which sounds quite close, though I'm still not sure about it).
I've made a lot of the necessary tweaks to the mix, like getting approximate levels and pan positions. A lot now really has to wait until the bass part is in place, as it runs all the way through and is consequently quite important to how things fit together in the final mix.
I've also got someone working on the acoustic guitar part at the end.
All the rest is just about there - background 'pad' parts are in place, though I may or may not slot in a few more things once the bass is down. Certainly a few tweaks will have to be done, so it'll be a little while in between me receiving the final parts and a finished mix emerging.

Ktran's MC parts have polished up nicely with a bit of tweaking - I'd complained before, but I think we're ok to go with these. Are people ok with 'upright piano' being announced, or is 'grand piano' preferable (I'd actually lean towards the latter)?

It's generally not sounding bad at all, though it needs a fair amount of tweaking to get it sounding really good.
Profile PM 
ktran
Unregistered

Posted: July 29 2003, 10:06

hmmm... Actually, I'll see if I can do up another take or two of my parts tonight when I get back from work. My neighbour should have stopped hammering by now :-)

rgds,

Posted: July 30 2003, 19:15

Actually, since we're actually using an upright piano and not a grand piano, I think it's fitting and more fan-cover-ish and sort of original to put our mark on it if we actually announce it as upright piano. That's me, though.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 30 2003, 21:13

My thought is that we're already suspending people's disbelief slightly with a few of the other instruments (i.e. the synthesised organ, glockenspiel, and bells, and the fact that the mandolin's part mandola...) that we might as well do it with the piano as well. There's something about the effect of the words 'grand piano' breaking the monotony of the riff which I like as well.

Any other thoughts, though?
Profile PM 

Posted: July 30 2003, 23:30

I see what your saying. It really doesn't matter for me. I think it would be cool to put upright. But as you say, it's always been grand piano and it has a certain quality to it. Let's hear everyone else's opinion.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: July 31 2003, 06:45

well if we use upright piano ;) I think it's the right one to announce :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 31 2003, 18:05

Mmm...but as I said, if we're announcing what's actually being played, there are a lot of changes to make (and I'd actually personally rather not see it go down the silly 'computer approximation of tubular bells' type route)...

...but upright piano can stay if people like it - I guess it's down to ktran!
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: July 31 2003, 18:59

'computer approximation of tubular bells'   <<< though ...imagine how funny could that be? :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: July 31 2003, 22:23

'Grand piano'. What a great compliment to my humble uprighted Weinbach. :)
But on the other side, if you announce it as being grand, nobody would ever believe I played the part! :D

But I can imagine that it's a bit of a shame to decide suddenly to make a comical 'real name piece' of it, after all the effort you've done in mixing it together, Rich. :) But on the other hand, Mike also tries to make it funny.

I think it depends of how it's gonna sound. If it's gonna sound professional, it's a bit of a shame to ruin it, imho. But if it already sounds 'fan imitation of finale' like, you could as well add funny names.

Those are my thoughts.  ;)

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2003, 23:39

Damn it guys!!

The reason I recorded both was because I was unsure myself!!!

I thought that we weren't really supposed to do it exactly the way it was on the recording, so I didn't deliberately mimic Viv Stanshall's tone, or indeed his accent. So I'm leaning towards "Upright Piano," but I recorded "Grand Piano" as well, just in case. Please don't leave it to me! This is everyone's project as well, and there _is_ a choice. Maybe you can whip up a mix of each? I dunno...

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2003, 07:21

it seems that now it's all about being funny or serious ;)
I can live with both options :D

--------------
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 13:57

I've never pictured Finale or The Bell as being a comedic thing. It's always been serious to me. I don't agree with going around saying "Computer Aproximation of Tubular Bells" but something like Upright Piano is good IMO. It doesn't really matter to me, but I'd be dissapointed if it turned into a big comedic thing. This is, from what I hear, a well-done and high quality (and yet fun to do at the same time) feat that us fans have accomplished here.

I don't know. I'd just rather it was more on the serious side. That's me.
188 replies since May 31 2003, 12:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net