Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Underwater Bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
EeToN Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 04 2004, 19:19

Some of my Oldfield fan friends encouraged me to share my music with others so I finally decided to do it. :)

To be honest, I can't even play a single instrument regularly but I love composing and listening to my music. Though I wouldn't call myself a musician.

The song which the topic is about, 'Underwater Bell' was born in 2000 and was influenced by two of my all-time favourite compositions, Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene 8 and Mike's Far Above The Clouds in structure but the melodies are completely my own ones. It could be the ending part of an album called 'Marine' about seas (it has four tracks at the moment). I was in trouble while trying to define the style because it's not really ambient but that might be the nearest definition.

So here is the link but don't expect too much. :)

My SoundClick page including Underwater Bell in mp3

Any opinions (positive or negative) would be great!

P.S.: There are also two quite different mp3s of mine on the page if you're interested.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: July 12 2004, 15:04

OK, I won't shock your ears anymore. :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 12 2004, 19:06

Nice, maybe a bit more "bite" from the vox synth towards the end. Mike and JMJ are both massive for their ability to lift your heart with crescendos and strong choice of sounds. This very nearly made it in that department.

as a melody, lovely, and despite your comments, not bad playing at all.

Well done. More please.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: July 13 2004, 17:32

Thank you for kind comment. :) It really helps my lack of self-confidence.

Though if it's nice playing then it's the desert of my computer. :p

And yes, unfortunately I haven't got better sample for that synth-vox sound...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Trevor Ellis
Unregistered

Posted: July 19 2004, 11:01

Man you have no right to feel self conscious about your music.  You are a great composer.   This is great.  I'm listening to your 3 tracks.  Not sure if you are fishing for compliments but I'll give you mine.  
High Flyer ; I think you keep the flow of the piece well keeping the listener interested.  The theme dances across the stereo and the tone.  The drums are great rhythm.
Can I hear a Vangelis influence in that opening chord sequence.  From the insect movie track 'Direct'?  Very smooth music if you haven't heard it.  Some of it gets too accidental for me but Direct is wonderful.
Underwater Bell starts with the JMJ spooky breathing.  Is this the breathing in the diving mask?  Great theme start.  Maybe the melody at 1:30 could be stronger.  The string back in at 1:42 is strong.  Great ending.
Northern Rover is a good track but I think needs further development. at 1:20 when the bite comes in it feels like it needs just a little more development.  It's really a great sound and original.  

These are 3 wonderful tracks and stick out above the crowd IMHO.  You have the potential for commercial release.

You are teasing us aren't you.  You are commerical already!

Very enjoyable
EeToN Offline

Posted: July 22 2004, 08:09

What a wonderful review! Thank you very much, Trevor! :)

Can I hear a Vangelis influence in that opening chord sequence.  From the insect movie track 'Direct'?  Very smooth music if you haven't heard it.  Some of it gets too accidental for me but Direct is wonderful.

Didn't you mean Soil Festivities? Anyway, it wasn't conscious, although I like both Direct and Soil Festivities very much!

Underwater Bell starts with the JMJ spooky breathing.  Is this the breathing in the diving mask?

Yes it's a diving mask. The idea came evidently from Jarre.

Northern Rover is a good track but I think needs further development. at 1:20 when the bite comes in it feels like it needs just a little more development.

Unfortunately, I can't play guitar so I don't know how to develop it more for the present. :/

You have the potential for commercial release.

It's great you say this. Thanks again! As a reward, I uploaded one more song called Fish-Dance. :) It's inspired by Vangelis.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since July 04 2004, 19:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net