Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (11) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular.net project., An idea that need everyone.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
EeToN Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 21:15

OK here I am with a new guitar layer on part 2. I will work it out more eventually (adding more vibrato and maybe completely changing the ending) but I have completely worn out my fingers so I can't do it right now, still I wanted to show what was happening in the background. ;) That's why I only made a preview yet and Brandon's mix was the most fitting one to show the result. So here it is:

Part 2 with more guitars

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 21:24

Ah BTW great work so far, people! I hope that I won't spoil it. ;)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 01:40

Hey EeToN! Good to see you've decided to join! I really like what you've come up with. There can definitely be a spot for your solo :). And I didn't know you played guitar! You play well, too! I hope guitar won't be the only thing you'll be contributing, either. You do well with those MODs of yours (we can have that stuff timed no prob). But this guitar playing is nice. Good job!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 06:49

today, first thing after waking up i've played amarok and  i've suddenly thought (call me mad..) u might be on the way to create something very amarokish for several reasons.
one, the fast riff introduction in amarok has made me thought of edoardo's first section on the backbone.
and also, thinking about... amarok is a big beautiful and crazy puzzle and u all, being from different places, having different styles and ideas seem also to me like the pieces of a puzzle trying to fit (i'm sure u will eventually and i do hope there isn't any piece missing and we find a violin somewhere in the final recording...)

forgive me that i won't comment on everything people have done, but u all are working fast and i haven't had the time to listen to all the bits properly yet. for the moment i'll say that i love when brandon becomes wild with his guitars, however, for the introduction and regarding i have right now that amarokish feeling, langdana's idea seems perfect to me.

this is the impression i've had so far and it's not that i'm telling u to do another amarok, of course it's your work, do whatever u want, but i think it would be a beautiful tribute, so if u asked me, i'd say... go for it!! :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 08:29

this is the impression i've had so far and it's not that i'm telling u to do another amarok, of course it's your work, do whatever u want, but i think it would be a beautiful tribute, so if u asked me, i'd say... go for it!!  

i wish it could be another amarok, it's my secret dream, but don't tell anyone.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 13:55

I always thought of it that way myself. As soon as I heard the intro.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 17:48

Well, this is my first idea of the first slice.
It's a demo, of course, so don't analize the sound and the mix, but the style.
I wait for your comments, so i can modify the style i'm using for the backbone of the rest of the quarter (almost done).

Be cruel!!

Project-01-01-p2

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Langdana Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 18:13

Hi Edoardo,

you are the greatest………. really, really, really the greatest!!!!!

This is your mix of the first track, with all our contributions inside. Well done!!!!!!!
I love it really this way. It sounds fantastic!! Super Edoardo!!!!

Yes, this will be a fantastic project, the best project here on tubular.net!!

I think I can’t sleep this night!!

I love it!!!!!!!!!!

Let’s keep all going on working on this beautiful project. I’m proud to be inside this project with such talented musicians and with you Edouardo, the brain and the father of this project!!

Greetings from Germany

J. Lang
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 20:08

hey thats really good! my god you are an amazing artist!! im so excited about this! its sounds really great! ill hopefull get to work on a little more guitar playing if i can, so you can play about with more sounds!

again im really sorry if about booster misunderstanding what i worte, i should have worded it a lot better... sorry everyone

eduardo, all i can say is.. AMAZING!!

:D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 20:32

Quote (DarkenedEdo @ Mar. 25 2006, 22:48)
Well, this is my first idea of the first slice.

<snip>

Be cruel!!

Ok then...

First idea? What was the other thing then? How exactly is anyone meant to follow the thing if the structure keeps changing every few days? It seems like a competition to me - whoever finishes first gets his stuff used. Unless that person is BOOsTER, in which case people just make unfounded claims about the sound quality of his work and it gets discarded completely (after lip service having been paid to this been an all inclusive project...). Creating a situation where people feel they need to race is really going to destroy many of the chances of originality that the project has (but then if you want to just wheel out all the pseudo-Oldfield clichés again, it'll probably work).

The organisation of this project is making some people feel very unwelcome indeed. Whether that's anyone's conscious intention or not is immaterial - the group dynamics speak for themselves.

I would suggest that if you want this to be a true group project, you divide this into four teams. Each team would have someone overseeing the contributions, and everyone would be overseen by someone (or a team of people) who keeps an eye on the big picture. It would then need to be worked out by the leadership who could do what where. Asking people to send in loads of suggestions and just using the ones you like is going to end up winding up quite a lot of people, as there are only a few who are willing to sit around all day coming up with new parts at the whim of a leader who doesn't have a clear idea of where things are going. I would say that the smaller the teams, the better.
I can really see two ways of working out the structure of sections. Either one person works on a rough arrangement then gets others to record the parts (not necessarily giving much more instruction than 'guitar solo here' or 'sparkly synth pad to fill out the high registers'), or each person is given a small segment to work on him/herself (perhaps following instructions like '4/4 in A Minor, heavy rock feel, 150bpm', or just saying what it forms a bridge between...). Either way, I think a system needs to be in place where once someone's recorded their parts, they won't get thrown away.

I'd also recommend seeking out a few themes which can be used throughout the piece. Melodies of the kind you could whistle on the way to work, or sing in the shower. A good, simple melody can form the basis for a chord sequence, become a bassline, a counterpoint to another tune, or simply exist on its own. It ought to be possible to play a strong one in a number of time signatures without it becoming too unfamiliar (though at the same time, it could be possible to make it very unfamiliar if you wanted...).

Right, cruelty over, I'm off back into my dustbin...
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 22:20

It seems to me that someone see problems while there isn't any problem.
If the musicians that play in this project like the first test probably we're in the right way. We have to fix somethings, we have to try and take confidence, but the project is started a week ago, so i think everything is going well.

I talked with Booster, he decided to stop the collaboration even if i've tried to change his mind. I told him the same thing i've posted, about a strange misunderstanding of johnny words. And it seems to me that Johnny said "i'm sorry". I think is enough.

I've discarded the Booster contribution, that's right, but only for one reason: this is not MY project, is a project that i share with other talented musicans and lovely persons, but i think that we've to believe in this project and work on it with a professional state of mind, even if it's free and amusing. When Booster confirmed his desire to go out of the project i gave him my respect, and i'm sure we can work together in other projects. But the musicians that play on this project will be the musicians that, at the end, will share the result of nights spent on the instruments.

At the begin of the thread i told about a project of the musicians of the tubular.net forum, so i'dike very much that Booster could be a part of it. But, after some mindjobs, i decide to not use his contribution because i don't want "guests", but only member of this "band".
Anyway the thing is that my mix-test is only an idea. If the other musicians like it we can go on in this path, au contraire we can change everything.

Since now i consider the matter closed.
I' like to have suggest and discussion only about the music we're producing, not about the behavior of the people.
I'm sorry for Booster and Johhny's trouble, but we are here to play and to make something together. Anyway i repeat that i think that Johnny doesn't have any fault.

I'm sorry if i seem too "icely", but the people in this forum that know me better can tell who i am.

There's no race, i have ideas and i upload them. Anyone has to do the same, i've already told in this forum. But, i repeat for the last time, we are here 'cause we're trying to do something good, not to let the children play.

At the end, when the project will be complete, we can receive any kind of criticism. Now we only need support.

About the setup of this project, reading with care all my posts anyone can tell that i suggest that, while we're working on the first quarter, someone else could compose the second quarter. And the instructions about tempo and chords are included in the first file i've uploaded, giving the line for all the contributions.

Korgscrew, it seems to me that it's a clear way to work, with a right line and a goal to reach. It's democratic and stimulating, and the quality of every contribution uploaded confirm this feeling.
Reading your words seems a disaster. I hope it's only another question of misunderstanding.
But please, everyone, tell me if i'm working in the wrong way, i will change immediately system. The only thing that matter for me is to work all together.

Edoardo

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 00:48

Guys....what's all the fuss about?? Where's it coming from? Let's stop the bickering and make this thing work instead of shouting down at it.

That said, I think I agree with some of Richard's suggestions. We are kind of just running blind with this so far and so far it has hurt someone. Everyone is making their own mixes and Booster got a bad end of one of them. I'm sad he's gone. I've PMed him myself, but he said he didn't want to get involved still. Maybe a little more structure could be a good thing here...just thinking out loud. It's whatever the current group and anyone who wants to be involved feels, really.

That sounds really good, Ed. Sounds like a mix of Amarok, Art in Heaven, and Hergest Ridge. I like how you've taken everyone's pieces and put them into their own little themes, too. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm happy with what you've done with my pieces. And it's not like you're putting it together one way and saying "ok this is the way it is" you're giving everyone a chance to have their voices heard. I like the freedom we're getting in this project in that way.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 03:29

I don't want to start carbon copying Amarok, but how about a little fast triplet bit?

http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co.uk/tubularnet/fast_triplet.mp3

It's still a little rough around the edges, but should anyone be interested I can rerecord it and make it better.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Langdana Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 04:07

Hi Brandon,

it's amazing how you play this part! A very good guitar tune!!

I think I work here really with profi-musicians together!

Don't let us influence from some statements. We are on the right way! The only thing what counts is the music and the best way to do it!!!

We are a team and Edoardo must decide what part of everyone works the best in his composition.

At this state of time I think we are on the right way!

Greetings
Jörg

PS: I hope my English is not so bad  :-)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 04:50

I've been way behind with this project, and this morning tried to catch up by downloading and listening to edoardo's last mix.

Well, I'm astounded. The potential here is obviously immense... and there are passages in these five minutes that I find very moving - some marvellous ideas, stunningly played. I can see why María spoke about Amarok: this has a lot of the things I like about Amarok, and none of the things that I don't!

I can't comment technically; I can't comment in any useful way really, except to say I listened: and what a magnificent start this seems.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 05:26

reading this thread sometimes makes me think of earthquakes. they come unexpectedly and are shocking, but well, they are necessary for the earth. i guess some frictions are many times necessary to help everything find its place.
i hope that's for good because what they can do may be really a gift for everyone who loves music.

from outside, as a listener with no technical skills, it seems to me the mix of the first contributions show them all fitting in a rather good first demo, maybe a bit overloaded, an orgy of guitars, there's much going on there in a short time, which is not bad though, and i understand these first five minutes are like a blossom containing what will be developing later in a juicy fruit.

good job everyone.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 07:45

DarkenedEdo's latest demo is nice, considering once again that this project to me is purely in the 'throw the ideas into a melting pot' early stage, it's starting to form the basis of what could be a great project. seeing as I've had the privilege to follow the work on this project from day one, this is probably a biased opinion but; the demo (concept anyway) would work if it was for a sample 'montage' as a free download preview of a CD to purchase.

I think Korgscrew's interpretation that this is turning into some sort of race is bit of a misconception, what I think you have here is a group of musicians that are 'chomping at the bit' at the prospect of contributing to something that will turn out to be really special, in their eagerness to provide ideas, the group are simply getting excited.

Korgscrew does however raise some extremely valid points:
I would suggest that if you want this to be a true group project, you divide this into four teams. Each team would have someone overseeing the contributions, and everyone would be overseen by someone (or a team of people) who keeps an eye on the big picture. It would then need to be worked out by the leadership who could do what where.

How that is implemented into the project would have to be a group decision, there is a root to work from already, however, this project confined to one central meeting point - a solitary forum topic, is a recipe for disaster (there's already fragmentation, misconceptions, misunderstanding, confusion, and unfortunately - frayed tempers). I would strongly suggest that a new forum is made for this project, maybe within the main 'Fan Music' forum. Any core files and info can be 'stickied' for everyone already a part of the project, or anyone who just happens to drop by and want in on the fun. An organised depository of contributed sounds would also benefit all as this project grows. From what I gather, the idea as it stands now is to have four 15 minute sections, so logically each section should have it's own topic (maybe stickied), the first post within each topic should explain what is required for each section, one musician might feel he can contribute his sound better to a particular section rather than the project as a whole.

Anyway, these are just my opinions, I'm enjoying what's been created so far, thanks and good luck to all.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 10:44

The heirachy of teams sounds a bit complicated, but would provide greater organisation if there were any more contributors than there already are.

I also think the idea of creating a good solid theme first and working from it would give a sense of direction. At the moment it seems like a lot of unconnected solos rather than clear musical phrases. Compare something like 'In the Pool' with the slow closing section of TB Part 2 and it's obvious that you couldn't just have the latter as a memorable single on its own.

May I suggest that any further material composed should be connected in someway to the motives and themes that have already been created. While this doesn't allow for a completely free reign, it'll be the key to creating a cohesive instrumental. However, you seem to be doing this fine.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 11:25

The track so far is great, I don't feel that it's too disjointed but I might have listened to it too much. ;) And after hearing it I decided to take a new direction. Here is the result:

Piano Part

Separate tracks are also uploaded. I can't decide anymore if it sounds out of place, though.

May I suggest that any further material composed should be connected in someway to the motives and themes that have already been created.

Uh-oh, I read that too late. ;)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 13:53

I added some strings and that means it sounds better IMHO but maybe sounds even more out of place.

Piano Part with added strings

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
200 replies since Mar. 18 2006, 07:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (11) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net