Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (11) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular.net project., An idea that need everyone.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 27 2006, 18:13

Ok, fellows, big update.

I've been talking with Edoardo about the organization of this project and we agree that we all need to take a more organized approach to this project. As per Ed's request, he's asked me to post and throw the idea out there to see if everyone in the project and whoever wants to be a part of the project agrees (which I hope will, as this will cause a lot less headaches and promote more teamwork, in my honest opinion! ).

So far we've seen proof of examples of us stumbling around and recording any little bit we can think of and pasting it into the mix somewhere. Ed has done a masterful job of putting it all together, but this is a group project not an Ed project that we're simply sending in audio samples for him to use (myself included). I for one would like to see more pieces made up from scratch from all of you guys that follow the theme of the quarter being worked on and seeing how everyone's ideas fit into the mix. This is what we should be going for here, not just guitar solos and other additions as it is starting to become competetive and that's not what a group project needs. What we need is teamwork. The real goal of this project should be everyone coming up with their own pieces and finding a way to stick them all together (which just happens to be a talent of Edoardo's! ). So everyone's talents can be used and everyone's creative side efficiently explored! That, in turn, will cause everyone to work closer together and really work as a team!

And with that here's a plan:

-The current group can be split into two groups (for now). We can have each group working on a quarter, for now the first two and then when those are done we can do the last two.
-Once more people join the project we can then make more groups to cover the other quarters so we won't have to and then more people's creativity can be added to the project as well.
-One person can oversee each group by basically being a supervisor. Someone who really cares about the project (I know we all do :) ) and who can organize and keep everyone on the right track. Not imposing opinions on the group and forcing them to do what he wants, but to rather keep everyone in line with what the feel of the quarter should be. This way everyone can show their creativity by creating pieces and have others create pieces that go along with the other and others can record pieces that fit next to it or go right on top of it. IE- someone can write a piece lossely based on the "Main Theme" and another can put a new guitar theme over it making it different yet still related to the entire project and all the while being an organized and fluent piece.

Everyone can work together to decide how best the entire quarter should flow and work together with everyone's input and compositions. After the quarters are finished we can then send everything off to Ed (who is the leader and overseer of the whole project) to "normalize" and make everything sound like it fits together.

-We'll need to first come up with a main theme that the entire project will revolve around and then blast into a smashing finale at the very end (similar, yet not a copy, to how the theme of Amarok was played around with all throughout the piece and then reprised at the very end in an amazing climax).
-We'll then decide together who should help in which quarter etc and then we can make our creative juices flow freely with everyone else's to make this project a finished reality!

As someone mentioned before, I beleive (I think it was Edoardo), a good format this could be going in is the first quarter being the Introduction (with main theme introduced), the second a calmer and slower section, the third a faster (maybe fun-filled?) feeling section, and then the finale at the end which compiles all the themes presented in the first 3 quarters (as well as new ones) together in a more climactic way with the main theme ending it off with everyone filling in their talents in a smashing finish! (This would also give the interesting chance of people making different renditions of others' material from other quarters! )

-As for who leads each quarter, we can all decide on who's best to oversee that. Edoardo seems to be doing well with the first quarter so he might be a good choice to oversee that. I can volunteer to oversee the second slower calmer quarter if everyone agrees. I'm not going to take that upon myself, this is a group project everyone must agree the best way. We don't want any dictators and I certainly don't want to be one!

One thing I'd like to point out as well, there's been a lot of "Amarok-ing" of this piece going on. Of course everyone must agree as I've said, but I think it would be far more interesting to see what we can come up with originally instead of copying Mike. Of course the whole project is going to have an Amarok feel anyway no matter what we do since we have so many styles and creative minds working on a 60 min piece! But things like copying Mike's dist style and all that (while interesting in certain bits) can really drop the originality level of this project and might not grasp as much interest as it could if we worked on something original. That was Mike's wish in the first place; to "create something new out of nothing".

Of course, if your Oldfield dist sound is what you enjoy playing the most and are most free in then that's a different story. Everyone can work in their own comfortable style. I'm just saying that it might not be a good idea if the goal of the project 'emulates' or 'carbon-copy's' Mike. I for one, again, would like to see some originality from people here! :)

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Just read Wayfarer's post. We can incorporate that into this idea as well. Again if everyone agrees.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 27 2006, 18:28

I just listened to the most recently posted file from here and I really have to say that I'm amazed... Stunningly beautiful musical passages, and a great over-riding mood. Loving the opening in particular. Just one thing - the individual sections are all extremely strong and perhaps some deserve a little bit longer to repeat and develop...
(and of course I've just read through the entire thread and realize that thet is indeed the intention! ) ;)
However, it's probably the best 5 and a half minutes of music I've heard in a long long time! Well done and thank you!

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 27 2006, 22:29

There's this theme in my head that, I think, is suitable as main theme however....
You guys are working too fast right now.
Maybe I won't be able to get it recorded by the time you rounded up the whole thing (I cannot even start recording my first version before thursday).
At first I thought everyone could step in at any time, but what do you do when someone wants to join in a quarter thats already been divided?
Besides, if this is to be a recurring theme, do I get split up over various sections to join in different groups?

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 27 2006, 23:29

That was the intention actually, Oblique. But you're right we are moving too fast.

IMHO, I think it would be best if we started over. Not completely, some of the themes Edoardo has created so far in the first quarter are spectacular, but as for the individual parts we've all recorded so far, they are kind of aimless at the moment and simply improv'd solos. We need to set a main theme first.

So go ahead and record your idea whenever you get the chance, Oblique. Then we can all play with it and see what we can do with it!

BTW, anybody who's already a part of the project that's read my previous huge post and hasn't replied, please do. We need opinions here or we're goign to get nowhere fast.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 01:31

I would like to have a go at doing this as it would be nice to work with some other people for a change?

Where can I post my ideas?
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 02:37

Edoardo gave out his FTP information in one of the first few posts where you can upload your ideas. It's a slow server, though.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 04:28

;) Hello there ! Oblique asked me to take part of your great project but it seems to me very difficult  . I can't play like you , my English is to much limited and much more......

But you !!! You are very good musicians !

Bonne chance ! >  Good luck !

I'm going to follow you and your baby ! of course !

Thanks to much Oblique for your friendship !!!  ;)
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 12:48

Second part of the first quarter
Second part of the first quarter without guitars

I've fixed the links.

I repeat for who doesn't understand:
this is the second part of the first quarter, the first 30 seconds of this excerpt are the last 30 seconds of the first part. I hope is clear.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 15:09

I have Logic pro and am probably better at mixing than playing.  However, I have a job like others, and I have 3 kids so I cant work all night every day ( :D ).

I have struggled to find enought time to put down ther guitar Ideas I have.  Also I'm working from a Powerbook during the week and My full studio at the weekends.  So weekends are the recording and meesing about time really.

If that fits in with what you need - then i'm up for it!  Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 15:12

Also - some of you guy's guitar sounds are quite good - if any one wants to share their set up tips - I be glad to hear them offline.  Send me a message using messenger.  Ta  Ray  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 15:24

Quote (DarkenedEdo @ Mar. 27 2006, 22:41)
Ray, you're right.

So, Project-01 (the first quarter)-02 (the second part of the first quarter)-p1 (the first test of this second part. "p" means "prova", an italian word to say "test").

I hope it will be helpful (i can change the way i encode the names if you have some suggest).

Ciao

OK Now I see you have a schema - but it is a bit confusing, I can work with it but can I offer the following as a suggestion

Project

four quarters A, B , C , D

Each Quarter has 4 parts 1, 2,3,4

Each part can have eny numbner of versions (v) - the only person to change the version first digit is the master of that quater.

the coding would be

TubnetProjectpart A:1:v1.01  
if a person adds to it - it would become
TubnetProjectpart A:1:v1.02
then
TubnetProjectpart A:1:v1.03

If that Version is decided to be the one for all to use from that point on the master of that part changes it to
TubnetProjectpart A:1:v2.01

This way the latest official version is clearly known by all, and you can see the sequency of the versions

Also if I send you just the wav file from the one bit I just did it would be

TubnetProjectpart A:1:v1.03Solo
or
TubnetProjectpart A:1:v1.02Solo

Solo being a single instrument  -just like pushing the solo button on a mixer or in Cubase / logic.

So ...  Ah ha - I actually dont know what to call your last two links... which I guess point to the fact I dont really understand your numbering - I hope I'm not just thick!  :D

Ray    :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 17:42

Quote (DarkenedEdo @ Mar. 27 2006, 23:52)
Wayfarer, your idea is simply great. Do what you think is the best.

Oh, well... I'm still triying to choose between AColab and WebCollab. Anyone has checked them and has an opinion?

Quote (DarkenedEdo @ Mar. 27 2006, 23:52)
Ehm... for the payment...coff... A party all together when this job will be complete could be good for you?

A party all together sounds nice... but think it twice: you're Italian, I'm Spanish, Brandon is Canadian, Ray is Scottish (right?), Jörg Lang is German... et cetera... You're going to spend a lot on flight tickets... :-P

By the way, looks like we could name ourselves 'The United Nations Band' ;-)

Btw, Could you please make available again the MIDI files? It seems that the one I downloaded was corrupt...

Buona sera,

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 22:29

Ray:
Project

four quarters A, B, C, D

Each Quarter has 4 parts 1, 2, 3, 4

As an example I get it.
However, Edo has done two provisional sets so far (beautiful work  BTW) and in these first 12/13 (?) minutes there are 8 parts alone.
And I hope there will be room for some smaller parts as well, (keeping in mind that Amarok has a lot of those) and we'll end up with a complex result.
No doubt it will be a complex matter to keep everyone satisfied in the end.....

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 23:45

Ahem, is anyone going to reply to my post or was it in vain?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2006, 02:02

:D And so it begins...

sigh. Come on people, let's be deciding! I know I'm not involved but I'm still reading about this occasionally!! Don't let me run out of reading material!!

:)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2006, 05:08

i can't enter your organization issue, u, musicians working on the project, more than anyone else know how to manage with that.. but i have to say i'm looking forward to hearing everyone's instruments over the line edoardo has given for the next eight minutes of the project. i find it very suggesting what he's done, can almost imagine some of u playing around those guitars he's recorded, but i'm sure u will surprise me pleasantly :)

please, keep up with the good work!

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2006, 14:11

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Mar. 29 2006, 04:45)

No it was good... I'm still thinking  ;)

I think someone (one person) needs to delegate, and I dont think it should be the person who is doing all the mixing and the work as the delegation bit is quite a job on its own and the person needs to have a helicopter view of the project - ie hover above it looking at it all rather than being down on the ground in the trees not being able to find the wood.

That is the way projects work, and rather than starting out like that we are now finding we need it - which is good, as it may have been a simple two person project but it's grown.

Just like Music has a structure so does a project have to.

Cheers Ray
And yes i'm from Scotland, fit like the nooo and all that.

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2006, 14:12

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Mar. 29 2006, 06:45)

I agree with you, those were good managing ideas you came up with, I don't have any complaints. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2006, 14:14

Quote (oblique @ Mar. 29 2006, 03:29)
Ray:
Project

four quarters A, B, C, D

Each Quarter has 4 parts 1, 2, 3, 4

As an example I get it.
However, Edo has done two provisional sets so far (beautiful work  BTW) and in these first 12/13 (?) minutes there are 8 parts alone.
And I hope there will be room for some smaller parts as well, (keeping in mind that Amarok has a lot of those) and we'll end up with a complex result.
No doubt it will be a complex matter to keep everyone satisfied in the end.....

As many as you like your honour.  :D

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2006, 14:24

OK, lets make a list ( alway a goopd way to start)

The list is:

List 1 musicians and instruments played
List 2 those with incliation to run a part
List 3 A list of bits already made even if in draft

and a clear project objective (my understanding of what people want/are doing is:-

To make a long instruments (piltdown sounds not withstanding) in the tradition of Amrok - but not a copy - and to be original and innovative!

To be inclusive of all musicians but final mixer has the MixAuthority to do the best for the project

To show how complete the project it you can use the famous windows tming bar effect:

[[[[[[[[[[[[.............................................]

ie about 25% through.

And who is going to sit in the helecopter?

--------------
Profile PM 
200 replies since Mar. 18 2006, 07:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (11) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net