[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: To France - Novaspace, 2002< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 04 2008, 14:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD71VsPrfeA

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2008, 00:47

Anything to make a buck I suppose. I've held that song dear since 1984, but I guess I have to roll with it or at least accept my fav. songs being redone, looped and otherwise recycled by the younger crowd. It's the ultimate recycling program, no use in getting upset by it. MO recycled a few things too......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2008, 14:17

I don't think it's bad but, lately, I've lost a lot of interest in this kind of dance music.

The best cover I've heard is Maggie Reilly's. Unsurprisingly, it's the one that sounds closest to the original.

(audio only)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCxuQVJaaxg

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2008, 17:53

I'd also found a cover by Blind Guardian, who I'm not familiar with. They sound more rock-heavy than I normally care for, but I think their version of "To France" was well done.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2008, 19:42

@ Sweetpea: Blind Guardian are metal. Their version is great ,IMHO. About Maggie singing her own songs... yes, of course they sound very like the originals, her voice is always the same even after all these years. She still guests every now and then on some TV shows here, always singing "To France", and of course "Moonlight Shadow". :)

About dance re-makes of Oldfield tunes, the only one I ever enjoyed is...
E-Rotic
...E-Rotic's techno remake of MS. All the other ones are pure crap. Always IMHO. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
4 replies since Nov. 04 2008, 14:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net