Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Songs of Distant Past, proposal for a new (large) group project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Navaira Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 11:19

Quote (BOOsTER @ Feb. 10 2006, 11:09)
Navaira: making a cover is considered plagiatorizing (not sure if I didn't write this word bad...:()

Nope. Doing a cover is considered doing a cover. Only if you "forget" to enclose the information that you are not a writer of the song that you either covered or used bits from (think: Robbie Williams' Supreme) it is indeed considered plagiarising.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 11:32

Quote (Navaira @ Feb. 10 2006, 17:19)
Navaira: making a cover is considered plagiatorizing (not sure if I didn't write this word bad...:()

Nope. Doing a cover is considered doing a cover. Only if you "forget" to enclose the information that you are not a writer of the song that you either covered or used bits from (think: Robbie Williams' Supreme) it is indeed considered plagiarising.

I guess it's an o_O anyway...this one won't be sold though (I hope you guys are not going to do such stupid thing) :) so you're all quite safe ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 11:42

And now I had a hit of inspiration... it's going to be completely useless as it contains no analogue sounds whatsoever ;) but maybe at least someone likes it.

www.raysown.strefa.pl/distantearth.mp3

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 13:40

Quote (Navaira @ Feb. 10 2006, 11:42)
but maybe at least someone likes it.

I do  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 16:15

No: Plagiarize means "To use and pass off (the ideas or writings of another) as one's own.".

A cover song imight possibly be an instance of copyright infringement, but it is not an instance of plagiarizing unless you, let's say, record a version of "On Horseback" and then go saying that you wrote it yourself.

I would venture to say that some extremely well known songs, such as "Hey Jude", simply cannot be plagiarized. Anyone who makes a cover of it and claims it is their own will have their claims laughed at and dismissed out-of-hand.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 16:18

If that's the case then both OCRemix.com and VGMix.com should be sued for millions and taken offline since they remix game music all the time and have a humungous collection. Also, Tommes rerecorded the entire album of Ommadawn as a cover and released it. It's not copyright infringement because your not taking the original recording (unless you're selling it which we aren't going to do).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 16:29

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Feb. 10 2006, 16:18)
It's not copyright infringement because your not taking the original recording (unless you're selling it which we aren't going to do).

From Bart Day, entertainment attorney: "4) Mechanical Licenses. For any cover songs appearing on the record, you must obtain a mechanical license from the owner of the song (i.e., the song's publisher), authorizing the song to be recorded and providing for the payment of mechanical royalties. In many cases this license can be obtained from The Harry Fox Agency (212/ 370-5330). Allow six to eight weeks for this process.

For songs not licensable through Harry Fox, you must contact the publisher directly. Usually the easiest way to do so is to obtain the publisher's contact info from the "song indexing" departments at ASCAP and BMI."

Another site says: "You don't actually have to get the permission of the copyright holder before recording a cover song, but you do have to (a) tell them that you plan to do it 30 days in advance, and (b) pay them royalties for each copy you distribute, whether you actually make any money from it or not. The royalty amounts are set by Congress, and are about 8.5 cents a copy for most songs these days. "

Here is a whole discussion on the issue:

http://www.side-line.com/forum/threads.php?id=9788_0_20_0_C

where the copyright infringement issue comes up. The issue appears relevant if you do a cover of something AGAINST someone's will and they want you to stop it.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 16:46

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Feb. 10 2006, 16:18)
Tommes rerecorded the entire album of Ommadawn as a cover and released it.

Well, 1) as long as he doesn't say it was written by him, there's no problem really; 2) unless of course a Mike O. lawyer takes the matter into his or hers greedy hands (that grab all they can).

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 16:49

Or, at least in my view, if Mike Oldfield or representatives of him complain.

I can't imagine lawyers sniffing around something like this. There'd be no damages to prove, and no profits to seize.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 18:48

Quote (Navaira @ Feb. 10 2006, 11:42)
And now I had a hit of inspiration... it's going to be completely useless as it contains no analogue sounds whatsoever ;) but maybe at least someone likes it.

www.raysown.strefa.pl/distantearth.mp3

I liked it!

And I've added you on msn.

We've got some experienced people for some very good hints now.

Booster: if you're needed for mastering, jonnyw will inform you. First he'll give it a go himself though.

About copyrights: I wouldn't worry about that.

In the future (I won't put a date on it) we'll make a final list of what (kind of) instruments are needed, after which we'll start on the definite list of participants.

At this time, it seems that many people want to participate, which is a very good (and needed!;) thing!

Thanks everyone. We'll need our creativity to outline the general arrangement first though.  See you in a "short" while! :).
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 17:46

Hello everyone. I suppose you think, that nothing much is happening at the moment - Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha. Well, that's what I want to talk to you all about.

;)

Currently, I and Jonny are making a manual and a description file. That's an awful lot of work, and it will take some weeks to finish.  After that, we'll start to do the official recruiting and the recording will begin.  During the reocrding we'll still need to sort out some things, but that will be easier once we've got the people "in".

So expect things to be a bit quiet for some weeks. But be sure that a lot of things are going on in the background.

I really feel I could dance. Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha - Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha. Charming. Ah Ha.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 06:10

Hi,

my mistake, I meant "copyright infringement" I should take a dictionary before I say something stupid again...

If I want to use a bit of someone else’s track, but I don’t want to pay the copyright, can I re-arrange and perform the track myself?

No While the recording of the song is protected under the copyright law so is the actual music of the song. Even if you where to arrange the track for full orchestra or for Kazoo and Banjo without permission, you are still infringing copyright. You’d have to seek permission to reuse and rearrange the track from the person or company who owns the copyright.

anyway what I want to say is just the fact that you don't have to care about this because covers by fans are one thing that is mostly tolerated...
and btw...even if you place it on the net for free, you should pay royalties for each playing...

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 15:13

Mike Oldfield will be SO mad that those people supporting him most and buying all of his albums - and guitars - are wasting their time on fooling around with his music and sharing that experience with others for free.

Heck, if court is the only way to meet the man in real life, so be it :D.

Seriously: indeed (profitless) fan tracks are tolerated for the simple reason that it's those who the artist benefits most from that make them :).

I acquired a Kawai K1M synthesizer today.  Not that it's 70's, but maybe it can emulate something :).  It's good fun in the first place  :p  (only having problems triggering multi patches, those remain silent. EDIT: solved I think  :/ )
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 20:05

I'm here, for everything.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 14:05

Much, MUCH appreciated!  I really love your music.  In fact, you inspired me for the arrangement of a very personal piece of music. It's not as good as your music by far, but I did discover some techniques thanks to your music.

No matter what, tonight I'll work on the TSODP project.  We've got the manual almost finished, and the description file is on its way.

I've been far more busy with other things than expected,, that's why we've got some delay.

I heard about your original composition recording, very interesting!  However, as I'm already in quasi lack of time for this project, I'll focus on TSODP.

We'll start with a beta description to start "giving people work" and fill in the details along the way.  There will be a variety regarding freedom in composition.

And we mustn't forget that it's all about making fun. While our attempt will be rigorous and serious, in the end it's all for fun.  Music is for fun. Even the saddest music :).
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 14:24

oh btw:

When I ever manage to finish my own "CD" (I need quite some time and inspiration to do that, and in fact lots of talent as well but whatever :)), I might put it online if I dare to.
Profile PM 
Mr_Brownstone Offline

Posted: May 25 2006, 16:26

sorry if i seem a bit impatient, but whats going on with this thing? nothings happening
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: May 26 2006, 06:18

I've been following this topic with interest , and some very exiting things seem to be going on. A lot of effort involved & does take a lot of time .Bravo to all taking part & sure the completed work will be an absolute joy to hear :D
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: May 26 2006, 10:01

Mr. Brownstone, you're right.

For a short while there was a lot of activity. Last thing I know was that Nicolas was working on it.
I talk to jonnyw a lot, and for a while I talked to Nicolas too, and there were some good plans, but after a short while that kind of stopped...
So I'm not sure what will happen. I hope something will :)

And if this will go ahead, I'll be happy to join, doing my bit on the bass or whatever  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: June 13 2006, 17:16

Hello all,

My timing for coming up with this idea was not very fortunate, as I'm in the final stages of my studies.  I thought I would be having enoug htime to combine the two, but I have not.  Furthermore, I didn't know that the mailbox of this board empties itself after a month, so some nice work by Korgscrew (on tempo data) was lost.

Instead of working every now and then for a very short while on it, I decided to let it rest until I'm past this study thing.  Starting august 1, I'll be having fixed working hours, so I could make free time every evening then. I hope to finish the descriptive file quite soon then, it has come a long way.  

About the same counts for Jonny, he too has little time due to his studies.

So my advice for now: do not assume this project is over, but I won't give you a starting date.  When the necessary files are done you'll hear about it. Then the fun can really start :).

In the mean time, I have added some necessary elements to my home studio.

So please be patient, the project starts with a serious delay, but it will start!

:)

Apologies to those awaiting the project, perhaps already having practiced parts.
Profile PM 
85 replies since Feb. 07 2006, 18:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net