ordinary house..."
and ended with
"Oxfordshire, about three o'clock in the
morning, good night".
On later CD-versions, these lyrics don't
appear.
Can anybody tell me, ...
1) why they were removed, and
2) if there is a CD version that features them?
Tubular greetings,
Carsten

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Sebastian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 22 1999, 15:23

Hi Carsten,
actually it starts "The Hallway,..." ;)
See http://tubular.net/lyrics/Boxed.html#1
But now to your questions:

2) It can be found on the CD-version of
the Boxed set.

1) The Boxed booklet says:
"When not engaged in wrestling contests on the Manor lawn, Oldfield and Newman would deflate the tension of hours in the studio on their own by drinking themselves daft at a nearby pub. In the course of such an evening, they decided to enlist a 'master of ceremonies', Vivian Stanshall, to announce the entrance of each instrument at the end of Side One. When this had been accomplished the helplessly intoxicated trio, hatching schemes of ever-increasing surrealism, decided to combine the recording of "The Sailor's Hornpipe" with an early-morning stagger around the Manor House.
Microphones were placed in various rooms and corridors, the tape machine set in motion and off they went. Stanshall wandered around inspecting the various items of interest within his focusing capacity like Lord Clark after a night on the tiles, while Oldfield and Newman - by then convinced that the whole world loved a sailor - trudged after him strumming with scotch-sodden conviction. At the time, the result was considered a little too bizarre to place on an album by a complete unknown, so it was replaced by an instrumental version. Now seems as opportune a moment as any to take the antimacassar off the original, which can be heard in all its magnificient foolishness at the end of Side Two."

Bye :),
Sebastian
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 02 2000, 13:00

Now perhaps it's the ancient tape I've been listening to, but I've always heard a different bit of lyric for the Hornpipe than what's listed elsewhere at this site, namely a rather drunken attempt at wordplay: "...wash basin and douche, bidet as it may." Or perhaps I'm the one that's been drunk.
sunjammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 01 2001, 17:20

RCalhoun, I agree with you.... I'm almost positive the lyric is "bidet as it may." Obviously a clever play on words.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Nov. 21 1999, 14:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net