Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sailors' Hornpipe, Boxed versions compared to TB version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 25 2004, 08:49

On the Boxed version of the Sailors' Hornpipe when Vivian stops speaking it then goes into a more sober arranged version of the Hornpipe - is this part of the song the same as the original on Tubular Bells?  Because I can't quite remember how the regular version sounded after all these years!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 25 2004, 17:59

It is a remix. I think that Phil Newell, when mixing it for quad, empasized some parts (i.e. some intstrumental tracks) and de-emphasized others, so that the piece sounded good on quad. I've listened to it on my 5.1 system, and even if 5.1 isn't the same as quad, it sounds great. Much better than the original, IMHO. :) Maybe Richard C. can tell you something more about it. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 25 2004, 21:44

Yes, the 'more sober' version is basically the same as what's at the end of the original mix of Tubular Bells, just remixed as Ugo says. I think I'd say that parts were emphasised according to what Phil Newell thought sounded good, rather than any particular consideration for quad, really! It does work nicely though, especially the way he's made the double speed guitar more prominent (the heavy reverb on the part gives it quite a spacey feel, I think).
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: May 26 2004, 04:50

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 25 2004, 21:44)
Yes, the 'more sober' version is basically the same as what's at the end of the original mix of Tubular Bells, just remixed as Ugo says.

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
3 replies since May 25 2004, 08:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net