Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Red Shift (new mix as of Sept 9, 2003), MO made an entire album with guitars...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 01:44

...I'm not quite that ambitious just yet...

But this newest track was recorded (this past weekend) using mostly guitars (well the same one through different effects and a synth processor), with the exception of the percussion and the voices (my own, multitracked in harmony)...

Please let me know what you think...

Red Shift

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 09:09

This is a very nice song. And I love the new mix. The voices work well. And there is much variety in what all the guitars are playing. It's very nice. Good work!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 13:04

heheh I seriously like the new mixie :)
it sounds great and I think I can hear that you also used some of my suggestions...great!

btw

FRYING PANS RULE!!! :))))))))

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2003, 07:24

Haven't heard the old one, but I like the composition. Good work, and some nice playing. I really dig that "pizzicato" guitar sound, how did you do it?
I have to say that feel the arrangement is a bit clumsy here and there, though. The guitars collide a bit.
Also, I think that your mix would benefit from some EQ-ing, it sounds a bit muddy in the mids and bass. And personally, I dislike the sound of heavily chorused guitars. But that's a personal preference, I guess. No, wait, there really is too much chorus on that guitar. Sounds like my old Roland Cube amp.
But anyway, nice piece. Keep up the good work.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2003, 00:25

Hi,

I've been away for a while... Thanks for all of your comments.

Brandon & Booster: Thanks for the ongoing advice as I was working on this! Yes, Power to the Frying Pan! (The percussion "instrument" was indeed a teflon-coated, aluminum (or "aluminium" to be more correct) frying pan.

Satyagraha: Could you give me any advice as to how to reduce the "muddiness" of the mix in the ranges you mentioned? I'm always looking to further my knowledge in both musicianship and production. The "pizicato" effect was simply the clean neck pickup sound of my stratocaster clone guitar. I'd originally recorded that part simply to convert using pitch-to-midi software to get the flute sound for the end, but the clean sound was surprisingly good and sounded rather harp-like to me, so I decided to leave it in the mix as well.

I was going for the flanger/phaser sound, and the preset on my pedal has a chorus effect on it too. I don't actually mind the sound, and I think it fits in context, but I appreciate your opinion. I've been restricted to delay and distortion until recently insofar as effects have been concerned, and I might be going rather crazy now, so this might settle in a few months :-)

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2003, 08:23

Hey Khoa!

I like this! The melody is spinning through my head since yesterday! Your timing is acceptable too.

There was just something that was missing. Maybe a tiny bit of  piano.  :)   (Just some simple chords and a bit improvisation, but I really had to add it ;) )

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
tonedeaf Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2003, 09:34

Hi,

Great track,just wish the harmonics were clearer;love it still though.

regards

tonedeaf
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 09 2003, 01:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net