Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn Part 1, 2 unfinished excerpts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MaS Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 18:09

Hi,
Some time ago, I began working on a cover of Ommadawn. The idea was to use only sounds of acoustic instruments, no (sounds of) electric guitars or synths.
You have to know that I don't call myself a musician (I mean I'm not a 'real-time player' and I can't read notes),although I make music (own compositions and covers). So, making music is a hard job for me (and my ears).
Since a couple of days I'm loosing my motivation on working further on my cover of Ommadawn. I really don't know anymore of what I'm doing is right. So, please, download these 2 (unfinished) excerpts, listen to it and give your comments. If you think I better stop working on it or if you like it, let me know!

http://users.pandora.be/masmusic/OmmadawnPart1(a).mp3
http://users.pandora.be/masmusic/OmmadawnPart1(b).mp3

PS: Sorry for my *~#?-English.

--------------
MaS, midician
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 19:40

WOW! The REAL Orchestral Ommadawn! This is fantastic! Please finish it! A few wrong notes and sounds a little in need of something bassy always going on. But this is really nice!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
MaS Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 19:51

Well, thanks Brandon, my motivation starts growing.

--------------
MaS, midician
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2003, 03:44

I agree with Brandon: wonderful. :) Keep on the with the very good work, MaS. I feel a strong desire to hear all of it.

I doubt that there's any orchestral sounds that can get lower than a tuba or a double bass. But IMHO putting a double bass in it would make it weighty. And Ommadawn is, after all, an airy, 'ambient' piece. I think this version is perfect just as it stands. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2003, 09:37

But IMHO putting a double bass in it would make it weighty. And Ommadawn is, after all, an airy, 'ambient' piece. I think this version is perfect just as it stands.

Well maybe, I'm just pointing out that at some parts it sounds empty and needs more...something.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Gandalph Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2003, 11:15

Absolutely superb. It would be a crime against humanity not to finish it after teasing us with those excerpts. :cool:

--------------
Yet Another Mike Oldfield Web Site - http://www.dbennett.karoo.net
Profile PM WEB 
MaS Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2003, 14:35

Thank you all, for the comments. The result: I decided to continue working on Ommadawn.
Indeed, the end of part 1 (a) needs more bass. There are gaps in de bass sequence. And Ugo has right: it may not sound too heavy.

--------------
MaS, midician
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 04 2003, 18:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net