[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on Five Miles Out and Crises remixes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 28 2013, 21:20

From Mike Oldfield Personal Facebook group:

It is winter here in Bahamas ( well it doesn't go much lower then 70 F. ) and I have a few weeks before getting stuck into the Rock project, so I have asked my wonderful record company for the multitracks of Five Miles Out and Crises to be transferred from analog tape to digital ( I hope they don't have to bake them like they did with T.Bells ! ) Looking forward V much to listening to these albums and seeing what I can do maybe in 5.1 surround.
Love Mike

Update Jan 30:
Well the FMO and Crises Ampex tapes are all there but they have to be baked and also some of the edits have come apart so the audio archiving technicians are busy working and they say I will get the first batch of digital files by the end of the week so thumbs are a twiddling here.

Update Feb 1:
Just got some of the multi tracks and spent the morning listening in rough 5.1. They sound perfect ! Just as good as they ever were and some tracks like Family Man really ROCK in 5.1. There is an old version of the song Five Mile Out on this master wich is great but is not the one that got used. They tell me there are some more Multi Masters in the oven over the weekend so I'm hopeful the actual Master will be on those reels.

Quite overcome listening to them as they have Pierre Moerlin and Morris Pert on drums.

Lots of work to do !
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2013, 23:38

Yessssss, though it was logical he'd do these two next anyway.

FMO is my favourite 80s album but I always felt it was a little thin on the bottom end. Hopefully he doesn't muck around with the general structure too much though.

Also interesting that he'll be reviewing these two albums before doing the sessions for the new one.
Profile PM 
Gunz412 Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2013, 04:04

Two of my favourite albums because they coincide with the years in which I was just getting into his music. Very much looking forward to these but it sounds like it will be some time yet if he is only just requesting the transfer of the masters to digital.
I wonder if we will get the much talked about Wembley concert in the Crises deluxe edition.
Profile PM 
iwaniuch Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2013, 06:12

Yes, both albums should be definitely mixed in 5.1!!! It's a pity Mike didn't do it with "Platinum" and "QE2"... :-( I hope he will have some time to mix my-beloved-Mike-Oldfield-album "Amarok" in 5.1!!! Can you imagine that?! :-)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2013, 07:39

Mike also added (underneath within the facebook responses) :-

'Had a good chat with my mate Daryl at the record company today they will be looking at the original master tapes tomorrow so hopefully I will get the Five Miles Out Side 1 multi-tracks next week and all the rest after that. He thinks there are also some out-take reels too so it will be exciting to find out what's on those....Yipee !'

Yes Mike I agree ... YIPPPEEE  :)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2013, 10:34

Quote (gths @ Jan. 28 2013, 23:38)
FMO is my favourite 80s album but I always felt it was a little thin on the bottom end. Hopefully he doesn't muck around with the general structure too much though.

Thin on the bottom end? Have you heard it on a proper setup yet?
Those close range recorded drums got punch like hell! Even Sonus Faber got a nice workout!
I can imagine low end subwoofers having problems with it as only thing they can reproduce is whoooooo whooooo type of sound. :)
Profile PM 
pipetune Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2013, 16:17

Yes the excellent drumming on Crises by Simon Phillips was a highlight - that really gets your woofers going!
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2013, 03:20

Please please please (with a cherry on top) can we for once have the 5.1 audio track encoded as DTS 96Khz/24bit; and NOT lossy Dolby Digital! :/

It makes such a phenomenal difference to the audio quality and personally I consider it is a crime to see Mike's outstanding musical compositions compressed to hell with Dolby Digital 5.1.

FMO and Crises are without a doubt two of Mike's best compositions; please don't screw it up by using an abhorrent lossy matrix like Dolby Digital! ;)
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2013, 09:04

Quote (Black Bunik @ Jan. 29 2013, 10:34)
Quote (gths @ Jan. 28 2013, 23:38)

Thin on the bottom end? Have you heard it on a proper setup yet?
Those close range recorded drums got punch like hell! Even Sonus Faber got a nice workout!
I can imagine low end subwoofers having problems with it as only thing they can reproduce is whoooooo whooooo type of sound. :)

Ha it's not the drums that are the problem, it's everything else. (I guess it's got a bit to do with how stuff sounded like coming out of the Fairlight, and everything else sort of got mixed so it sounds a little... distant, whereas Crises did sound deeper.)

I guess there's a few interesting out-takes to come out of that era. Such as that slightly different mix of the song Five Miles Out that turned up on The Complete.

Also looking forward to what happens with Crises too.

I guess aside from the live tapes (which were the most interesting addition to the last pair of reissues for me), all those b-sides (Rite of Man - has this ever even come out on CD?), 12" mixes (hey, I really like the one for Shadow On The Wall) and the non-album singles like "Mistake" and "Crime of Passion" from that era - ought to be enough room on the first disc for those anyway. Although most of us have those, don't we?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2013, 11:16

I don't think Mike had the multi-tracks for either Platinum or QE2. The "re-mixes" from these albums were either session outtakes or overdubs onto existing mixes. At least that's the impression I got.
And it makes sense that it's easier to obtain the multi-tracks for FMO and Crises because recorded those albums himself. Platinum was done in different studios (even in the US!;). I don't know where QE2 was recorded, but I know that David Hentschell was hired as sort of "producer" and perhaps they worked in an outside studio?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
rusinurbe Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2013, 12:34

I'll take them in 5.1 great stuff yes shame teh last two were not surround !!!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 30 2013, 12:54

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 30 2013, 17:16)
I don't know where QE2 was recorded, but I know that David Hentschell was hired as sort of "producer" and perhaps they worked in an outside studio?

QE2 was recorded in his studio in Little Halings, Denham, Buckinghamshire, UK, now belonging to his son Luke.

Tilehouse Studios

;)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2013, 13:45

Quote (manintherain @ Jan. 30 2013, 12:54)
Tilehouse Studios

;)

"We have a 16-track Studer A800 2 inch analog tape machine and Apogee Symphony IO converters offering the best of both analog and digital high-end recording options. "

Now that's what I'm talking about!
Profile PM 
Willem Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 04:40

Please completely erase this 'sana rosana' (or whatever) chanting near the end of FMO. (16:46 - 19:59)
All else in fine though...  ;)

Don't care for 5.1 much. All this world needs is a class A amp with a fine pair of stereo speakers in a comfortable room with good acoustics.

The rest, my friends, is marketing...
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 08:03

I have no interest in 5.1 either, however new mixes (such as Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge) interest me VERY MUCH.

We can skip the songs, just do the instrumental sides + Orabidoo Mike, thankyouverymuch. I don't think even a song as amazing as "Five Miles Out" can benefit from a "contemporary remix".

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 09:23

IMHO if the man wants to cut it all to pieces, and then stick it all together again he can.
All I care for are the eventual outtakes, and maybe he can surprise me with a good remix. That would only be a nice extra.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 14:11

I really appreciate that attention is being paid to these two excellent records, but I can't imagine how they could be bettered when it comes to sound quality (and I'm talking about the mix). Same thing with Discovery actually.
These records sound great on a small portable and on  audiophile hifi equipment. Play it quietly in the background. Crank it up until your ears bleed. Still sound great.
I don't know how he did it, but there is so much  air in the mix even in the sections where there is more going on than your ears or brain can keep track of. Simply amazing.

But it would be interesting to hear a mix that brings out different details. Or the "Morris Men" in surround?   :p

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 16:33

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 31 2013, 14:11)
I really appreciate that attention is being paid to these two excellent records, but I can't imagine how they could be bettered when it comes to sound quality (and I'm talking about the mix). Same thing with Discovery actually.
These records sound great on a small portable and on  audiophile hifi equipment. Play it quietly in the background. Crank it up until your ears bleed. Still sound great.
I don't know how he did it, but there is so much  air in the mix even in the sections where there is more going on than your ears or brain can keep track of. Simply amazing.

But it would be interesting to hear a mix that brings out different details. Or the "Morris Men" in surround?   :p

Well written indeed. But let's see what he does with them. Maybe it will be better, maybe not. Still you will have two mixes to choose from! And everyone can have their favourite. :)

As far as the 5.1 goes I agree with Wilhelm above. Stereo is just more music for less or equal money. :)
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 02:01

Im one of those who listens all music in 2 channel stereo....even though i have 7.1 amp and selection of music dvds/blurays i dont feel like building up multichannel system

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 05:24

Seems strange to not use the 7.1 if you have it, you could always choose which way to listen to a track as your mood changes. I have 5.1 & find different things listening to that & stereo, in the car, on headphones etc. I am no purist, but I guess if you dont have the original lp versions in perfect condition with a good stylus, any new version is going to be appreciated, bearing in mind we have been getting new stereo,5.1 and original mixes if tapes allow.
What I do like is the attention Mike is giving to the whole catalog. Previoulsy it has basically only been Tubular Bells that has been revisited. Hence the hit or miss state of the tapes as they would barely have been looked at before.
I guess it makes people impatient as they will all have their favourite albums and want them first (AMAROK) ! & also want new music.
To hear that the man is looking at 2 old albums, just released a dance album & working on a rock album (not to mention the olympic performance) is quite a treat from someone we probably thought was at least semi-retired.
Profile PM 
31 replies since Jan. 28 2013, 21:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net