Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: It just gets better and better....., MOTS< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AlexS Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 05:45

Not being a regular listener to classical music, I think it probably took me a while to get into the right mindset for MOTS. On the first listen, I thought it was "nice" but knew I needed to give it time.

And a week later, I'm in love with this beautiful masterpiece. For me it ranks alongside TSODE, Ommadawn, Amarok and TBII. Personally, I hear a lot of similarities between Ommadawn and TBII.

It may be classical, Mike may only play one instrument, but the music is pure Mike right down to every last note. I love it.

Just one question... what happened to the Halloween concept?

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 03:37

Quote (AlexS @ Mar. 26 2008, 05:45)
Not being a regular listener to classical music, I think it probably took me a while to get into the right mindset for MOTS. On the first listen, I thought it was "nice" but knew I needed to give it time.

And a week later, I'm in love with this beautiful masterpiece. For me it ranks alongside TSODE, Ommadawn, Amarok and TBII. Personally, I hear a lot of similarities between Ommadawn and TBII.

It may be classical, Mike may only play one instrument, but the music is pure Mike right down to every last note. I love it.

Hmm - I was wondering about the Halloween thing myself.  Maybe we'll see another album in 6 months (ever hopeful).
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 03:37

Quote (AlexS @ Mar. 26 2008, 05:45)

Hmm - I was wondering about the Halloween thing myself.  Maybe we'll see another album in 6 months (ever hopeful).

edit - ouch - double clicked - apologies.
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 05:47

Maybe he knew long in advance the October release date wouldn't happen so he changed the concept? Who knows! Anyway I think I like this better! :)

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 07:55

Quote (AlexS @ Mar. 27 2008, 05:47)
Maybe he knew long in advance the October release date wouldn't happen so he changed the concept? Who knows! Anyway I think I like this better! :)

Maybe those spheres are actualy meant to be egg-shaped.And there`s a whole underlying Easter concept going on here that nobody has picked up on yet?It would appear to be an album that has brought about a rebirth for Mike that`s for sure.

"Cue mental image of a mad march hare basket laden with easter goodies.Tip-toeing merrily cross fields of early morning spring dew to the music of Aurora"...Bollocks and bugger it that one`s gonna` take some shifting for me now.       :D
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 06:50

Finally got a copy.OMG absolutely wonderfull!!!!!!!Toatally fallen in love with it.I love the cross references to TB (and i hear TBII in some of the guitar parts).There's a hint of the Lord Of The Rings soundtrack in a very good way that is.Can't say enough.The best thing he's done in a long time!!!! :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Gabo Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 20:54

Something similar happened to me... the first two times I listened to it I thought it was very nice, but I didn't "grok" it completely...
today I listened again and I was almost moved to tears. Few artists have a sense of life as benevolent as Mike's... his view of what the universe sounds like is stunningly beautiful, ambitious and moving.
If this were to be his final record, it would be a superb finale to an illustrious carreer.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 02 2008, 04:44

Don't say things like that!!!!!!Although i have to agree with you.It would be the perfect way to bow out after so much wonderfull music.I hope not though  :/

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 05:26

Quote (The Caveman @ April 02 2008, 04:44)
Don't say things like that!!!!!!Although i have to agree with you.It would be the perfect way to bow out after so much wonderfull music.I hope not though  :/

Agreed - lovely album though - and a nice change of pace.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Mar. 26 2008, 05:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net