Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Tubular Bells all he's ever going to do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 08:03

this is a classical album and all good classical albums need a piano on the records.  this is the best that mike has done for a while.  give the poor bugger a break.  poor mike cannot use a piano on a album without it being compared to tubular bells.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 08:04

Quote (RICHARDGORMLIE @ Mar. 24 2008, 08:03)
this is a classical album and all good classical albums need a piano on the records.  this is the best that mike has done for a while.  give the poor bugger a break.  poor mike cannot use a piano on a album without it being compared to tubular bells.

Funnily, the opening "tubular bell" theme is played on violins.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 11:12

Quote (Kofola @ Mar. 21 2008, 20:45)
I just have to add my opinion here: :)

1. I donno who Karl Jenkins is ... should I care? :)

2. I hear only 2 referencis to TB. In my opinion it's not rebuld of TB at all. I think that people who say so just want to hear it there and don't listen to the music to the detail.

You can flame me to death .. but I'll raise again! :)

1. Neither did I before he teamed up with Mike. Jenkins is, I suppose, very popular in England. He is, like Pekka Pohjola, I suppose again, much bigger in his own country and many fans did't know him before he worked with MO. Except the ones familiar with Adiemus, I guess.

2. In addition to what you said, there's propably a couple of other reasons why some people say so. However, I definitely wont flame
you for that one.  ;)
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 23:44

Well, having just listened to MOTS for the first time, my response to the TB references was pretty much what I expected. Harbinger certainly leaves us in no doubt that this is a TB reference, and Musica Universalis does have a hint of TB, but I don't care. They still sound pretty good to me. As for the rest of it having any other TB references, I just didn't hear any. Maybe I missed them, but I did pick up several moments that reminded me of The Wind Chimes and a bit from TSODE.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 05:37

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 25 2008, 03:44)
I did pick up several moments that reminded me of The Wind Chimes

Yes! I thought I was just imagining it, but I too pick up bits of Windchimeiness. I haven't been able to quite convince myself fully, because the actual notes are different, but the 'feel' of them is the same. The bits I mean are the big sweeping 'wind-like' theme that starts about 32 secs into 'Empyrean' as the first fanfare ends; and the 'big' slow theme that begins about 4 minutes into 'Musica Universalis'.

Are they the bits you pick up, or do you have others?
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 11:30

I just might walk home from work past my  near-neighbours porch-hanging Wind Chimes and listen if they're playing MotS-its breezy enough here in Brummagem! (trans:Birmingham,UK)
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 07:10

Quote (Alan D @ Mar. 25 2008, 10:37)

Yes! I thought I was just imagining it, but I too pick up bits of Windchimeiness. I haven't been able to quite convince myself fully, because the actual notes are different, but the 'feel' of them is the same. The bits I mean are the big sweeping 'wind-like' theme that starts about 32 secs into 'Empyrean' as the first fanfare ends; and the 'big' slow theme that begins about 4 minutes into 'Musica Universalis'.

You know, I'm thinking that it may just be completely unavoidable... the similarity between various pieces that he's produced. Looking back over his career, we can see well over 20 albums, all with a slightly different meaning and message behind them (although some of them are linked).

Is it not true that if the musical output of each album is like a glimpse into Mike's creativity, a single facet if you will, of a cohesive entity, that you will sometimes see through the facet to other facets on the other side? like a diamond?

I think an artist would have great difficulty producing so many different things and still maintain his own unique stamp, his own injection of creativity on a project... and I think that mostly, we don't even realise that these albums have some homogeneity to them. Most artists evolve with their progression through their exploration of music, and so they're style changes - but you can still see the flow of the creative process over time - the evolution if you will.

With Mike, at least for me, it feels less like evolution (although I'm sure he has in his way) and more like various seperate standpoints of seeing this diamond, and its various facets. They're all talking about the same creativity, using the same language; and so its unavoidable that some of it will be similar... but I value each of the insights that he has given us (some less than others, granted, but I still do).

Therefore, I feel overall that the question "is tubular bells all he's ever going to do?" is a moot question. Tubular Bells, the themes and feelings he explored within that album... he said it himself, it was a raw exploration of his young soul, and took him years to create and compose. Thats a large chunk of the various facets devoted to that perhaps... so I think it stands to reason that it would be referred to again in later works.

With MOTS, as this topic is mainly considering, I think it was a choice to include the references, consciously. I don't think it was because he felt that he just needed something to fill the space; or couldn't be bothered to compose something different, I feel that he felt these themes were genuinely suited to demonstrating the point of the album... the music of the heavens and how that might be translated into something we can audibly appreciate.

Certainly for Musica Universalis, the composition, whilst quite similar to either finale sections he's produced before, DOES in fact give me this wonderful mental image of heavenly bodies moving and interacting and proceeding through the universe. I have explained elsewhere the exact imagery I get from it, so I won't do it again.

My thoughts.

PS.

After revisiting this I want to try and reiterate a point I was trying to make here, albeit not very well. I think with other artists, as their output is usually very similar; and "evolves", we never (usually) get shocked by something that that artist produces.

Take the artist Sting for example. His approach has long been the blending of various different forms and styles of music to create what otherwise might seem very normal songs - considering some of the lyrics contained within. Over the many years of his output, the stylisation of each offering has differed, but his core approach has remained much the same. Even when working with other artists, he tries out new things and different ways of expressing his own unique creativity - similar to the way Mike has, except Mike's offerings can be seen, certainly in later times, to be more about various musing facets (from my perspective) than straight logical evolution.

With an artist like Sting, therefore - we will see each of his recordings - the next not differing that much from the previous - and we won't bat an eyelid. Perhaps with Mike we expect so much difference between offerings, because he has given us some completely different music before, that some of us are dissapointed if there are any references.

Therefore, it leads me to ask the question that, if this is indeed true, are we not being heavy handed in expecting so much of Mike? He has explored many different facets of music through his own approach and creativity - more than any artist I know if. He's tried dance, trance, 70's, 80's, 90's pop, celtic chillout, gigantic synth works, classical - and of course - the foundation of the genre that he helped to develop. And with all these contributions - if one is so much like another, some become dissapointed.

Perhaps we would be even more dissapointed if Mike had produced over 20 albums of Tubular Bells style and structure albums only. I just don't know what the right answer is... part of me feels that we've seen so many different types and genres of music with Mike's creativity, that we don't really have the right to criticize based on partial similarity.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 08:26

Quote (arron11196 @ Mar. 27 2008, 07:10)
Quote (Alan D @ Mar. 25 2008, 10:37)

You know, I'm thinking that it may just be completely unavoidable... the similarity between various pieces that he's produced. Looking back over his career, we can see well over 20 albums, all with a slightly different meaning and message behind them (although some of them are linked).

Is it not true that if the musical output of each album is like a glimpse into Mike's creativity, a single facet if you will, of a cohesive entity, that you will sometimes see through the facet to other facets on the other side? like a diamond?

I think an artist would have great difficulty producing so many different things and still maintain his own unique stamp, his own injection of creativity on a project... and I think that mostly, we don't even realise that these albums have some homogeneity to them. Most artists evolve with their progression through their exploration of music, and so they're style changes - but you can still see the flow of the creative process over time - the evolution if you will.

With Mike, at least for me, it feels less like evolution (although I'm sure he has in his way) and more like various seperate standpoints of seeing this diamond, and its various facets. They're all talking about the same creativity, using the same language; and so its unavoidable that some of it will be similar... but I value each of the insights that he has given us (some less than others, granted, but I still do).

Therefore, I feel overall that the question "is tubular bells all he's ever going to do?" is a moot question. Tubular Bells, the themes and feelings he explored within that album... he said it himself, it was a raw exploration of his young soul, and took him years to create and compose. Thats a large chunk of the various facets devoted to that perhaps... so I think it stands to reason that it would be referred to again in later works.

With MOTS, as this topic is mainly considering, I think it was a choice to include the references, consciously. I don't think it was because he felt that he just needed something to fill the space; or couldn't be bothered to compose something different, I feel that he felt these themes were genuinely suited to demonstrating the point of the album... the music of the heavens and how that might be translated into something we can audibly appreciate.

Certainly for Musica Universalis, the composition, whilst quite similar to either finale sections he's produced before, DOES in fact give me this wonderful mental image of heavenly bodies moving and interacting and proceeding through the universe. I have explained elsewhere the exact imagery I get from it, so I won't do it again.

My thoughts.

Here`s a little tubular doodle of my own.. :p

Great post arron.Looking at it from my own outside in perspective I`m still a little dissapointed that Mike felt the need to revisit those tubular themes once again.But listening to MOTS more and more this last week or so it`s completely impossible for me to imagine this work without them now.In fact I dare say it would be completely impossible for me to love this work without them.(cripes what an admission.)I particularly liked the way you summarised it yourself as "genuinely suited to demonstrating the point of the album." I don`t think I`m quite there with the whole visuals and concept as you are yourself.But I still would`nt argue with that point at all.Very well put.
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 18:06

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 24 2008, 23:44)
Well, having just listened to MOTS for the first time, my response to the TB references was pretty much what I expected. Harbinger certainly leaves us in no doubt that this is a TB reference, and Musica Universalis does have a hint of TB, but I don't care. They still sound pretty good to me. As for the rest of it having any other TB references, I just didn't hear any. Maybe I missed them, but I did pick up several moments that reminded me of The Wind Chimes and a bit from TSODE.

I think that the final piece, "Musica Universal", has more than just a hint of Tubular Bells part-one final "Bells" theme, or whatever it's called! It's just like the "grand piano", "bass guitar" etc part...

I'm actually quite fed up with that bloody TB theme on every new Mike Oldfield album! Can't he just leave it behind? :zzz:

Apart from the first and last piece though, there is not much of Tubular Bells to be heard on the new album. Even though the music is orchestral, there sure are melodies so typical Oldfield!
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 05:31

Hmm - it's a bit of a lost cause for me worrying about the TB references.  I heard echoes in a number of the tracks - but not enough to annoy - this was almost like OTB should have been - inspired playing.

Though, if he had called it TBIV - who would have cared?  Music of the Spheres is a much nicer name though  ;)

I also thought it was very nice structurally, and the orchestration was spot on - makes Bedford look uninspired by comparison - though Mike had a lot more involvement here by the sound of things.
Profile PM 
Br0dy Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 10:26

Seems Mike has this tune stuck in his head and cant get rid of it. It keeps re-appearing in all his albums. I for one will want to hear his next album before i part with my hard earned again.
6/10 could do better.
OR:
maybe hes gettin skint and needed to churn out an album quick for the cash?
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 16:46

Well the tune stuck in his head... thats part of what I meant with my previous post. This tune and others like it is his signature - he says so himself in interviews (you can listen to the BBC radio yorkshire one and he says it).

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I respect the fact that for whatever reason you don't like it (although I'd be interested to hear exactly what about it you dislike assides from some similarity to previous works) - on the same tack though, I am really glad that most people seem pleased with it and it's getting a lot of airtime an sales. I think its deserved, I think he's produced something worthy of further listening.

To alay your fears about parting with your hard earned, it seems Mike may not even record another album - he's said that he has no plans to do so as yet, and is not thinking past this summer.

Personally, I want to hear more of this kind of thing - I doubt it could come under the same name, or encapsulate the same idea, but it seems to me Mike has the ability still to compose fresh pieces. I would be very happy with 5 more Music of the Spheres-esque albums, perhaps Music of the Cubes, Cones, Torus's, and Strange-Amoeba-Like-Blobs-That-Somehow-Manage-To-Form-A-Nice-Sound.

We all know that Mike doesn't really pander to the fans though. Thats part of why I like his talent; he's always maintained the position that he composes because its something personal - its something he wants to do - something he has to release from inside. Therefore, I doubt if he could give a dingo's kidneys about what us fans want. Its about what he wants to communicate with his idea.

I am also slightly perplexed, Br0dy, in that your first post is one of displeasure rather than joining in the community.

We're a welcoming bunch around here, when we want to be (looks at the usual offenders) and we can sometimes even manage a discussion without arguing  :p

Please, expand on your views, Br0dy. Lets hear more about them.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: April 04 2008, 17:19

There is a secret morsecode at 17.17 - it says: fuck off fans..
:D
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 19:32

Quote (Br0dy @ April 04 2008, 10:26)
I for one will want to hear his next album before i part with my hard earned again...

I am familiar with the 'fungus effect' that occurs with much of MO's work, but I can't imagine it would take more than a couple of listenings to begin to appreciate - at the very least - the compositional skill in MOTS. I see it as one of Mike's most 'immediate' albums, which is no doubt due in part to the pleasant melodies, but it also strikes me as a work that's been carefully and subtly crafted. One of my first thoughts on hearing MOTS was that surely this should please nearly all of MO's fans - particularly those attached to his first four albums. I see MOTS as the logical progression from Hergest Ridge and Incantations. I've always felt those were 'classical' works, anyway.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 21:58

Quote (Sweetpea @ April 04 2008, 19:32)
Quote (Br0dy @ April 04 2008, 10:26)
I for one will want to hear his next album before i part with my hard earned again...

I am familiar with the 'fungus effect' that occurs with much of MO's work, but I can't imagine it would take more than a couple of listenings to begin to appreciate - at the very least - the compositional skill in MOTS. I see it as one of Mike's most 'immediate' albums, which is no doubt due in part to the pleasant melodies, but it also strikes me as a work that's been carefully and subtly crafted. One of my first thoughts on hearing MOTS was that surely this should please nearly all of MO's fans - particularly those attached to his first four albums. I see MOTS as the logical progression from Hergest Ridge and Incantations. I've always felt those were 'classical' works, anyway.

Agree with you there SweetP.  Very nicely constructed - jarring changes in tune are all well and good (similarity to Janacek noted in another thread), but it is nice to see Mike turn his hand to such a well-constructed piece, familiar melodies or not.

For me - that is one of the major attractions of MOTS - plus some nice new tunes.

And a touch of Amarok with the Tempest.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 10:13

Its a lovely work, MOTS. I liked Mike Arnold's point (Gosh, where do I know your name from Mike? Are you related to Sally Arnold?) about TB.

My favourite TBs is III, followed 2003, then by II then I. I guess if Mike had not revisited TB, I'd have a very poor appreciation of it, and there would be no MoTS. I wonder if his revisitations have both commercial purposes but also, something to do with what it meant to Mike psychologically to deliver this piece of music from within himself (for which, the autobiog is excellent to understand) and also, the lack of satisfaction with the conditions of delivering it (the rush, the technology etc). In a sense he's been 'perfecting' it ever since, and its been cropping up in little references here and there as well as these linked albums.

For some its clearly interfered with their appreciation of the latter derivations. But its given us these albums that would not stand on their own without it. TB has to some extent set up the palette from which they've been painted. It seems a fair exchange to me, as somebody that prefers the successors to them, and I have no problems with the references back.

I do think they should stop now, however! Time to kiss goodbye to that origin. And maybe that's why talk of retirement is about.
Profile PM 
Elysiumfire Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 22:39

Hi There,

Having listend to 'MotS', I can't say that it rises above film soundtrack material. It's pleasant enough, and that's about as far as it goes...it is pleasant.

TB1, Ommadawn, and TB2 are probably (imho) Mike's best pieces; all his other works are derivatives of ideas from these (of course, TB2 is a re-work of TB1). The problem for Mike has always been a breaking away from TB1 and Ommadawn to produce unique and standalone work that is on a level with those two albums...he has never been able to achieve it, and it is hardly surprising. This is not to suggest that in all his other produced works that he has not come up within them motifs with melodies and harmonics that don't resonate as strongly as his stronger originals, but such exceptions are lost in the anachronisms of the albums in which they are contained.

Throughout all his work, Mike's motif has been that of 'flight', 'air', 'weightlessness', 'freedom of spirit'...escape from human cares and the  responsibilities we pile upon ourselves, or are given to us by others. Over the years, with each subsequent album, Mike has trimmed and updated his thinking behind the motivations that drive him to produce these escapist flights of musical fantasies, but TB1 has always remained the primary foundation, or well-spring, from which the ideas flow. Even Ommadawn - probably the only real unique exception to TB1 - builds upon the motifs first premiered in that opus.

Mike's problem has always been that of being the sole provider of input of musical ideas, and apart from TB1 and Ommadawn (while the ideas were still strong and resonant within him), all his other work cries out for a need for other external input from other musicians in order to maintain direction and strong interest in the listener. Mike's musical aloofness has also been the chain in which he shackled himself, which is why his other albums are significantly weaker than TB1 or Ommadawn. MotS suffers from this, too, and without Jenkins classical input, the album would be even weaker than what it is. I would hope that Mike does not retire from recording, but would understand it if he does.

The world has become a harsher and more paranoid place than what it was in the earlier seventies, and unfortunately, Mike has remained self-enscounced in the resonance of that earlier time, but it has gone, and Mike has followed his musical motif and taken flight, escape, and freedom to another country where he perhaps is not considered to be the anachronism that he is.

best wishes
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 00:39

Quote (Elysiumfire @ April 06 2008, 11:39)
TB1, Ommadawn, and TB2 are probably (imho) Mike's best pieces; all his other works are derivatives of ideas from these

I'm interested to hear how you think albums such as Amarok, Heaven's Open or Songs of Distant Earth are derived from Tubular Bells or Ommadawn. If you feel that TB and Ommadawn are by far his strongest albums then that's fair enough, but to reduce the entirety of the rest of his work to a simple derivative of these two albums is in my opinion unfair.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 01:31

Quote (Elysiumfire @ April 05 2008, 22:39)
apart from TB1 and Ommadawn (while the ideas were still strong and resonant within him), all his other work cries out for a need for other external input from other musicians in order to maintain direction and strong interest in the listener.

I haven't had any problem, past the initial acclimation period (aka 'The Fungus Effect' ), of maintaining a strong interest in MO's music. But then, as you've said it is Mike's "problem", I won't worry about it - I'll simply enjoy the fruits of his inadequecies.  :D

...his other albums are significantly weaker than TB1 or Ommadawn.

I think all artists have their one greatest work and, in MO's case, I feel that is Ommadawn. Other parts of me advocate Amarok and The Songs of Distant Earth for that position. And, while Tubular Bells may be a career-long wellspring, I find a handful of later albums to be stronger works.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 09:46

Personnally, I think that his re-use of tubular bells themes is forgivable. Mike have done over 23 albums of music, without including all the sides songs that are on singles or other thing like that. And of all that, re-used tubular bells structure on about 6 albums, and on theses album, not the entire album, but just a basic idea to start or even just a little part.

I listen to a lot of music and is it easy to see when an artist or a pseudo-artist just try to do genius, but its limitations are easy to see. Sometimes there are just 4 albums in the discography and you already see repetitons and re-uses. So I think mike is very far from being an un-inspired artist!!!

Mike have done everything a composer should do, from being 100% original with a new album, from re-using musical structure or even re-playing and entire album.

So when I see it as a whole, I forgive this re-use on MOTS. And Like I said, just few parts, not the whole album!

Sure I would like a completely new album, fresh ideas, etc. But mike as already done it a lot of times. Now we must accept it, his carreer is on its ending, and MOTS is simply a gift from Mike. And to not forget that he NEVER did a whole classical album before, so he is still having new ideas!!
Profile PM 
131 replies since Dec. 05 2007, 13:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net