Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Nacho Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 14 2011, 12:11

It would be fantastic if someone with the new re-remixed version could upload a sampler of this second glitch; we are all talking about something the vast majority of us haven't listened to!!  :)
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2011, 07:20

Quote (spark @ Aug. 12 2011, 07:50)
You would have thought there would have been a letter or note from Universal .
If you think about it you could contact them not even having bought the disc and get one for free .

Yes, you could.

As for the new glitch, it IS there but it's far less egregious. Again, many of us could have done better but heck, those without good rhythmic sense may not even realise that it's there.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2011, 08:43

It seems that the edit point was not caused during the production process but was already on the master. For me it sounds like they cut away a second because this bit was a damage in the master. It was cut in sync !

So for the new version they had to ad this bit from another source (Virgin HDCD or the Incantations excerpt from The Collection) and it's nearly impossible to make it sound like the rest (different EQs etc.). It's a shame but I have to return to the HDCD remaster, the 2011 remaster is a lost chance !
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2011, 09:25

I received the replacement disc today. I can't hear much in the way of a new glitch which suggests the fault is in the original master. It's certainly much less intrusive thsn before, and I might have missed it if I wasn't listening for one.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2011, 10:42

There is a principle involved here. With all the best will in the world, this is not an amateur operation that Universal are running (is it?) so we should expect a professionally produced product. I for one am emailing Universal about this second glitch and if my replacement vinyl has it, they'll be going back too.

For those that are interested, I've done a couple of screen shots of the affected sections.

http://porpoise-240.dolphin-server.co.uk/~pauken/Incantations1.png

The lower highlighted section shows the chunk that's missing (about 0.48 seconds) from the original CD pressing resulting in the very obvious glitch.

http://porpoise-240.dolphin-server.co.uk/~pauken/Incantations2.png

This second image shows the much smaller chunk that's missing (about 0.05 seconds) from the second CD pressing I received in the last few days. While that may sound insignificant, it's still a schoolboy mastering error and I heard it the very first time I listened to it although I had to go back and check it because I just couldn't believe it would be there! Indeed, for those people with a good sense of timing and rhythm (I was a professional orchestral musician for a number of years) it stands out quite clearly.

This is a hack job, possibly not even done by the original mastering studio (Paschal Byrne at The Audio Archiving Company) but by some numpty somewhere else. I can't believe for a moment that anyone with this sort of experience

http://www.audioarchiving.co.uk/pages/people.html

would allow this to go out the door.
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2011, 12:27

Quote (stpaul @ Aug. 15 2011, 08:43)
So for the new version they had to ad this bit from another source (Virgin HDCD or the Incantations excerpt from The Collection) and it's nearly impossible to make it sound like the rest (different EQs etc.). It's a shame but I have to return to the HDCD remaster, the 2011 remaster is a lost chance !

Impossible to make a clapping sound which lasts half a second  sound like the rest? What is going on here?
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2011, 12:52

For those interested in buying the replacement disc rather than the 'glitchy' one there are different matrix numbers on the rear of the CD:

Old:  06007 533 463-8  01 * 52757295

New: 06007 533 463-8  01 * 52781117
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 11:55

i sent emails today for both, vinyl and cd replacements....i got reply that they going to send me 2 cd replacements (for 1cd and deluxe versions)...have not got any answer for vinyls yet...

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 13:21

Just emailed Universal about the 2nd glitch...

"Thank you for your email.

I will pass your comments onto the label for feedback and come back to you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
Jon Moyes"

So lets see............
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 16:42

As I bought the Deluxe Edition and the single CD, I asked for two CDs.
The problem is that the Deluxe one is blue and the single one is orange and they sent me two blue ones.

Did anybody get an orange one?

:/

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
doctorlard Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 22:00

Here's what I wrote to UMG-UK in pretty much a fit of rage, after reading through this thread. No response yet but at least it includes an indication that the David Joseph (CEO, UMG-UK) email works and the email address of his PA.

Srslywtf.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Incantations Deluxe Edition - two successive mastering errors
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:21:28 +1200
To: Mike Oldfield Fan Site <contact@tubular.net>, Mike Oldfield <info@mikeoldfield.org>, Hannah Strickland <Hannah.Strickland@umusic.com>
CC: UMG UK Support <support@universal-music.co.uk>

Hi Hannah,

Can you make sure that upper management are aware of the poor quality control that has gone on regarding this issue (and other recordings for that matter)? It is surprising to me and quite appalling that UMG UK would repeatedly drop the ball like this.

Now I've had a chance to re-read it, I apologise for the frankness of the original message, however I hope you can understand my disappointment.

(Original complaint copied below)

Cheers,
Jonathan Harker

On Tue 16 August 2011 at 2.09 pm NZST, David Joseph wrote:
> I'm currently out of the office until August 22nd.
> If you need any assistance, please contact Hannah Strickland
> T: 0207 471 5373 e: Hannah.Strickland@umusic.com

---

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Incantations Deluxe Edition - two successive mastering errors
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:09:35 +1200
To: UMG UK Support <support@universal-music.co.uk>, Mike Oldfield Fan Site <contact@tubular.net>, Mike Oldfield PR <info@mikeoldfield.org>, David Joseph <david.joseph@umusic.com>, Adam White <adam.white@umusic.com>, Contact UMG UK <contact@umusic.com>

Dear Universal Music Group (UK):

Re: Incantations Deluxe Edition - TWO(!) successive mastering errors

Please ensure this goes to the appropriate upper management contacts, as I would like them to be notified of this.

UMG UK Management: I want you to sort this out so it doesn't happen again, as this has gone on too long. This is just the latest example of incompetence and absolutely abysmal quality control from UMG. I do NOT want to be simply fobbed off by your front line of PR folks (no offence to them of course!)

---

What on earth is going on? I'm copying this to Mike Oldfield's PR, the CEO and Chairman of Universal, and anyone else who will hopefully be in a position to sort this out.

I just spent over £25 GBP on the Deluxe Edition of Mike Oldfield's Incantations and I've received a disc with a massive 1.5 second mastering glitch at 12:38 on track 4 of the first disc. This is supposedly a premium product. Please refer to this comparison:
http://porpoise-240.dolphin-server.co.uk/~pauken/Incantations1.png

Not only do I want a replacement disc IMMEDIATELY, but a corrected disc should be sent to everyone who bought it, and it should be recalled from retailers.

And, NO, I do not want the replacement disc UMG has re-pressed, which has a second, smaller mastering glitch at 12:40, because that is unacceptable as well:
http://porpoise-240.dolphin-server.co.uk/~pauken/Incantations2.png

If this is such an elementary mistake that I can easily see it and fix it on an ordinary PC using mundane audio processing software, then a professional outfit such as UMG should be able to. In fact, I do not expect the error to have happened in the first place, it's such a basic error. It certainly does not inspire confidence.

That's TWO different mastering errors. On a Deluxe premium product. I have no idea how UMG expect to make any money on this record.

This is colossally unacceptable. Since it's all the same to you, I'm going to keep the faulty disc so that I have physical proof of what a complete drop kick of a release this was.

Did anyone at your work actually LISTEN to the finished product before you pressed it? Did you have anyone in charge who was actually competent, or was it some dribbling cloth-eared, mouth-breathing idiot? I mean really, how absolutely and utterly hopeless was this effort from UMG that you replaced a faulty glitched pressing of a premium Deluxe Edition product, with another glitched pressing? Unbelievable.

Imagine the fiasco if this was a CD from someone like Coldplay or Pink Floyd. Please fix this and ensure it does not happen again.

Yours Sincerely,
Jonathan Harker

(One of probably millions of dissatisfied customers, who routinely have to put up with this sort of rubbish from record companies, and often wonder why they bother giving them any money at all, especially when absolutely stuff-all of it ends up with the artist)
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 06:56

Quote (pauken @ Aug. 15 2011, 17:42)
While that may sound insignificant, it's still a schoolboy mastering error and I heard it the very first time I listened to it although I had to go back and check it because I just couldn't believe it would be there! Indeed, for those people with a good sense of timing and rhythm (I was a professional orchestral musician for a number of years) it stands out quite clearly.

Hear, hear!

I am not a professional musician, I just love music (including Incantations) - but one does not need to be a professional, or to measure milliseconds to hear what's wrong in the new badly made edit. The rhythm goes "wrong" there, it does not skip or anything like that but just after where the first glitch used to be there now comes a moment when the beat is slightly ahead of time.

As I mentioned in my other post (in the Albums/Incantations section of this Forum) I too cannot believe this. To my ears at least, it's obvious that no musicians were present when this "correction" was made.

Just like you, I heard it instantly on the first listen and my reaction was to go back - "did my cd player skip this time? WTH happened, were those vibraphones off the beat? Oh no, it's in the mix."

:(
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 07:02

Quote (CJJC @ Aug. 15 2011, 14:20)
but heck, those without good rhythmic sense may not even realise that it's there.

I'll have to comment on this - while you may be right, it is also true that those without good rhythmic sense would not probably be listening to stuff like Mike Oldfield's Incantations in the first place...  ;)

Seriously though it's clearly audible even to lesser ears, and not just something you can detect if it's pointed out to you in a waveform diagram... I'm sad to report.
Profile PM 
hergestridge Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 11:26

Following my e-mail to Universal about the jump in Part 4, I received this reply:

Thank you for your email regarding Mike Oldfield's Incantations
The new re-master of Incantations is faithful to the original analogue master tape. These tapes included an edit point at 12:37 on Part 4 of Incantations which can be discerned as a small jump in the track. Following feedback that this has affected the enjoyment for some listeners, a new master has been prepared and approved by Mike for all subsequent pressings.

If it's faithful to the analogue master, how come neither the vinyl or HDCD versions didn't have this problem?
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 12:45

Quote (hergestridge @ Aug. 17 2011, 16:26)
If it's faithful to the analogue master, how come neither the vinyl or HDCD versions didn't have this problem?

Note that I'm not condoning anything UMG have done - far from it - but I think they are referring to the original master in the condition it's now in. There have been strong hints in interviews that the master has deteriorated since the last Virgin HDCD remaster.
It still doesn't excuse the serious lack of care given the remastering of that section. Did MO, Mercury, Universal and all the engineers miss this. Did anyone listen to the finished product at all before it was released. Assuming the masters are deteriorating, the very least that should be done is a back up master should have been archived before the remaster was attempted. Simon Heyworth should have got at least a consultant role in this process.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 15:18

Well anyway. I was in a big HMV store today and I thought I'll get this - with or without the bloody glitch. Couldn't find it. Not in the Mike O section. I asked an assistant, and she looked on her screen, and said,  "Yes, it's available but we haven't had ANY stocked in this store". I was a bit affronted (but tried not to show it) - not that I couldn't get it today, but that they'd never had ANY in this store. I'm thinking - do you know WHO Mike Oldfield is??

She asked if I'd like her to ring round other stores. That felt like further insult to injury, and I said,  "thanks, but no thanks." :/  

I bought a Nero CD instead.  :(   :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2011, 05:53

Replacement vinyl discs received today so keep your eyes peeled for them arriving soon.
Profile PM 
CH23 Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2011, 11:11

Recieved the re-re-mastered LP today, and theres indeed yet again a glitch...will email universal again...
How hard can it be to get it right?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2011, 11:49

Seems that I should ask for a vinyl replacement asap from Universal as well!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2011, 13:26

YEP ..... its there..!!!!!  
Just played the new vinyl....

Hilarious !!!!!

So again fired off emails to universal.....

Fools !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net