Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hardware and software recommendations?`< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 22 2003, 20:47

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get a little more serious with my music composition and recording, but I'm realising very quickly the limitations of my equipment. Mike made TB with comparatively little in equipment, but I need more help :-)

1. Sound card. I have a fairly fast computer (P4), but I'm really not too happy with the SoundMAX onboard sound insofar as recording quality (nasty DC bias, a definite step down from my old P133 and PII), as well as the latency of the software synthesiser. What can you recommend?? How does the basic SoundBlaster 16 PCI stack up? I'm playing around with a demo copy of Guitar Synth, and am intrigued by the possibilities.

2. Rhythm. "Music, the Ancient Language," and I have discussed this. Rhythm is possibly my weakest point as a musician, and I'm in big trouble if I want to vary tempo and time signatures for mood. I don't have any hand percussion just yet, and I don't have a drummer handy, which would be cumbersome for composition anyhow, but I want to find some good and affordable rhythm software. The freeware drum machines I've tried so far either have a) sucky sounds or b) can't handle anything other than 4/4 or 3/4, or c) don't work on Windows XP.

3. Any general experiences and tips and techniques would be much appreciated :-)

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 03 2003, 11:23

Sound card:
Forget your integrated Sound Card. It's utterly useless. And the Soundblaster PCI 16, do they really still sell those? Well, don't buy one. If you're on a really tight budget, you should get the SB Live. It's costs virtually nothing, it works well with soundfonts and sounds OK for a 16 bit card.

But you really should consider getting the SB Audigy II. 24 bits, 96 khz. It sounds wonderfully clean and deep, has a 106 dB signal to noise-ratio, and is really cheap if you can live without fancy packaging. In my country, they sell them in bulk for the equivalent of £75, software included. Just don't buy the retail version. Exactly the same product for £200 or something.

With the Audigy, there will be no latency at all on your system. Make sure you have a reasonable amount of RAM, 256 MB or more.

However, the Audigy is not considered a professional sound card. Many people will tell you you have to get a Delta or something, but I really don't see why. The specs are identical, but the more expensive Deltas has got more ports and stuff. I don't think you will need them, I certainly don't.

Ah, one more thing: You'll probably have to disable your integrated SoundCrap™ card form BIOS setup, or the damn thing will compete with your new card.

Rythm:
If you go for standard drumkit sounds, the Sonic Implants drum soundfonts that comes with the Audigy are just great. And you could download a lot of free percussion soundfonts form the net. Hammersound has some OK ones.

And if you've got a decent mike, you can use just about anything, you know. Clap your hands and hit other parts of your anatomy, bang your guitar, grind your teeth and use items from your kitchen drawer.

You will probably need some kind of microphone amplification, unless you've got an active condenser microphone. I use an EQ stomp box, which is also good for removing bass frequencies. You should always cut a lot of bass from any audio signal. Anything under 75 HZ just messes up the mix. Of course, using a Boss stompbox for amplification is a major compromise, but a good mike preamp costs a lot of money. I guess you can use any kind of amplifier that doesn't produce noise, though. Real studios often use valve-driven preamps, but these cost fortunes.

And the microphone is another issue. For vocals and most acoustic instruments, nothing beats a good condenser mike. But they're bloody expensive, and rather fragile. The best solution for beginners is to get a Shure SM57 for instruments (you can't beat it for miking guitar amplifiers, some wind instruments and most drums), and if you can afford it, a Shure SM58 or Shure Beta 58A for vocals. They all sound great, and you can play baseball with them without any damage.

Various tips:
Never use General MIDI sounds, it makes your composition sound bland and boring.
Use compression.
Remove all noises and any silence.
Get some decent speakers.
Never mix using headphones, however good they are.
Make a mono mix, before you finish your stereo mix. It'll tell you the truth about separation and individual levels.
If you record guitars or basses directly, you have to apply some kind of amp simulation, or at least use equalizing.
Apply stereo reverb carefully. Try using room ambience or short delay instead.
Experiment!

Phew. And good luck.

Er ... I guess some of you people might want critisize me for not having followed my own advice in the production of the compositions I've submitted to the Fan tracks section her at Tubular.net. Rightly so, I just didn't know better then. My next composition, if I ever get it finished, will sound a whole lot better: clearer, brighter, deeper and more dynamic. I thank any deity for my Audigy card. Yes, the difference form SB Live is THAT great.

Please excuse the length of this post. I got a little carried away, as recording is a newfound hobby of mine. It has in fact brought new meaning to my life. And I mean that 100 per cent seriously.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2003, 15:57

Er ... the price examples in my post above is based on prices in my home-country, the most expensive country in the world (only challenged by Iceland and Japan). So I guess you have to do your own research on this.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 04 2003, 19:53

wow, thanks a lot! lots of info to pore over here...

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 05 2003, 20:15

Ktran and I have talked a little about this privately, but seeing as we have a discussion going...

Some very good advice from Satyagraha there...can I counter a few things, in the interest of balance?

The difference between the soundblaster and something more expensive: this may be something that doesn't appear in the specs. I can't speak of the soundblaster specifically, as I've not used any of them, but higher priced cards often use better quality convertors which have a nicer sound, capturing more detail and so on. Some of this can be don to the stability of the word clock and the amount of jitter present (and various things of that kind which are rarely found written on paper but which make a difference). Whether you can hear the difference, I can't say, but really if you can make it sound good, the rest doesn't matter. I've heard some people do good things with soundblaster cards, and that's what counts.
Also, if the card has a digital input, you can always upgrade to a better convertor later.

Mic preamps, even valve/tube ones aren't necessarily expensive - you could have a look, for example at Behringer's Tube Ultragain MIC100 which has a list price of £38 (or $70cdn excluding tax, according to their website). I just pulled that one out as an example, so it's not necessarily a recommendation, though their products are generally reasonable, if built to a price. There are absolutely loads of things on the market though, coming in at all price ranges, so if you want something to use as an external mic preamp, you should be able to find something that fits your budget. Bear in mind with valve equipment, that some of the stuff at the lower end of the price range just has a valve stuck in it as a fashion accessory, and it doesn't make much of a difference to the sound - it's worth both looking up as many reviews as you can, and ultimately trying things out, to see if you really notice a difference or whether it's hyped up junk. As with the soundcards, I think if it sounds good, then it does, and whatever anyone else says about it doesn't matter.

I'd personally be slightly wary of applying too much processing at the recording stage, as if you overdo it, you can have problems trying to correct it. I would tend to try and get a ballpark-sound by using mic positioning and then leave anything else to the mix stage, when it can be adjusted alongside all the other elements. Certainly too much in any one frequency range is a bad thing though, and it's often worth trying to 'bracket' sounds using EQ so that they don't cross over into each other's ranges too much.
I suppose that when you do the processing depends on what mix facilities you have - mixing on a computer with limited processor power, or on a four track recorder where you're having to bounce things down after a few tracks is of course going to govern when you apply your processing.

Don't dismiss the cheaper condenser microphones available now - there are some around which cost about the same price as an SM57/58 and have had good write-ups. As always, investigate further and see if they'll do the job you want them to.
I'd certainly agree about how indestructible dynamic microphones are...

Now, to the tips (and please, though I give serious considerations here, this is meant as tongue in cheek - Satyagraha has given some fine advice, and I don't mean to undermine it):

Don't be afraid of General MIDI sounds if they're what does it for you, but be objective, and use them creatively.

Be careful with compression and take care not to overdo it. Sometimes less is needed than you think.

Take care with removing noises, sometimes they're necessary. Also be careful of knocking out what seems like silence - if there's any background noise or sustaining notes, muting it out suddenly can be noticeable. Often fades are better than hard cuts, even if they're very short.

Use good headphones while mixing, but don't trust them absolutely. For a different slant on things, try a cheap pair of speakers - many people will probably be listening on something similar...again, don't rely on them exclusively. A good pair of monitor speakers which you are familiar with the sound of is definitely your best friend.

Beware of phase cancellations in mono. If things sound vastly different in mono, this may be why - it's then your decision whether mono compatibility is important to you or not (I think people are increasingly deciding that it isn't, though remember that there are still a number of mono radios out there).
Leave the door open and listen from outside - a good mix ought to still sound basically good from out there. Similarly, try putting it on a CD and listening in various environments to see what that reveals.

Above all, be objective, and pay equal attention to the side of you which says that what you're doing sounds great, and the one which says that what you're doing sounds awful - the truth is usually somewhere inbetween, though obviously the goal is to get it as far towards great as possible...
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2003, 22:30

This stuff is great. I'm learning even more reading. Even though it wasn't directed to me, it was meant for everyone I assume. Thanks for sharing your advice, Korgscrew and Satyagraha.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since July 22 2003, 20:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net