Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Guitar Strings?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Skeletor Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 16:59

Hi, i know that this is not strictly related to MO, but i would really appreciate some help.

I'm doing a college project based around guitar strings. I would be greatful if anyone has any information, or links, on the manufacture or physical makeup of guitar strings (steel or nylon).

It would be particularly useful to know about what grade or type of steel typical strings are made of. Information on this seems to be very hard to find, so thanks.

Skeletor
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 18:44

I'd suggest you get in touch with Malcolm Newton at Newtone Strings. He and his colleagues should be able to tell you all you need to know about making steel guitar strings (unlike the people you might speak to at the large manufacturers, he makes the strings himself, so knows exactly what he's talking about).

Steel strings are drawn through a die like any wire. Nylon strings are extruded, in the same way as any nylon fibre. The treble strings are single strands, the bass strings are multiple, much finer strands, wrapped with metal. I don't have any links relating to nylon string manufacture, but I'd think general information on nylon fibre manufacture would be reasonably easy to find. You could try contacting some of the bigger string manufacturers too - you might get lucky, though they may equally be wary of giving any information away, out of fear of losing a competitive advantage.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 21:00

Skeletor,

Type of steel for guitar strings.  If I get a chance to run this through a spark test machine I'll let you know the chemical composition.  But, there will be different steel alloys in the strings.   You will see nikel alloy.  So they are probably non magnetic or austenitic steels and they will get most of their properties from the heat treatment process that probably occurs after they are extruded.  If you get a top E string you will finds it is rather brittle if you bend it - ie it's quite hard and has a low charpy impact (toughness).  Larger strings may have slightly different properties even if they are made from the same steel alloy.  You got me hooked - i'm going to find out some more, i'll some back and let you know what I find.  But dont hold you breath i've got a guitar to play.  Ray ;)

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 18:46

Hey Chaps - anyone know how to work out the string tension based on length of string and thickness of string, is there anythiong else you need to consider??

Ta Ray  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 18:51

OK - Found  it - in case anyone needs its here:

http://www.hago.org.uk/faqs/formulae.html

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
4 replies since Feb. 21 2006, 16:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net