Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Great Tr3s Lunas Online Moments, (MVR nostalgia)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 08:36

I was thinking today about some of the moments in Tr3s Lunas that made the online games so special, and thought it might be fun to record some favourite moments online. Here's one to get the ball rolling.

For a long time we didn't know that it was possible to take an avatar on the Space Arrow ride to the spaceship. (Normally if you have an avatar, it disappears when you get carried off by the Space Arrow, and you don't get it back until you return home.) However, we discovered that you can fool the system. If you go round the space arrow trip once, and then immediately go again, you keep your avatar in space.

This meant that it ought to be possible for a bunch of us to meet up at the space ship, in an online game, and a group of us decided to try it. What none of us was prepared for was the enormous scale of the ship. With an avatar, you could really sense how huge everything was, and looking for someone else on that vast ship was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Even so, a few of us did succeed in meeting, first at the top of the arch; and second, at the edge of the ship overlooking the nebula. I still remember the sense of that colossal gulf below us, as a handful of tiny avatars found each other, up there, and watched the view. A great moment.

Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 05:12

Pleasant memories...

There was a long period when we were somehow "living" in Tr3s lunas, exploring every little possibility that could unfold its magic even  a bit more. Then, I must confess, I was hoping that some time in the future Mike would feel like going on working on it, widening its already wide barriers.
Nowadays I've lost my hope and it's true that I go there not quite often. However, this thread has made me feel that nostalgia Alan mentioned. There were so many good trips we had, so many expeditions into the unknown..

The first one that has come to my mind while reading Alan's words is the one into Snowy's World.
We were trying hard for a long time, but the wise old Snowy wouldn't let us get into it. So many fast runs trying to hide from him behind the green crystals, and so many times listening to that beautiful piece of music and abandoning ourselves while taken by him into the cave.

I still remember the first time I could do it. Shooting rings far away from the ring heads with speed set to 3. Fast run, reaching behind the crystals, the music starting and going along while watching the "normal" view through the crystals, feeling an enormous tension and holding my breath.. And then.. it all softly changing into the space view where it is possible to wander around a dark blue space where the Owl cave's tunnel looks like a snake, and there is the daliphant in between the silver moons, the temple, the green crystals floating, and also some times, a group of avatars since we were able to take them with us and fly in this huge blue space.

Hmm.. yes.. we had good fun there... :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 10:42

I don't think I ever managed to take an avatar into Snowy's world - though I remember you doing it, María. I think WizardOfOz managed to do it too, in the same session.

Do you remember the floating rocks that sometimes turned up in Space Arrow World? Usually I could see them but you couldn't. I have a picture here showing the two of us out there (moth and firebeing) - and there are the floating rocks, hovering above the ground - but they were invisible to you!

That place makes the rules up as it goes along.

Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 11:49

Yes.. I remember those spooky stones... I think I never got to see them other than on your shots.
Look, I've found a picture of u and me together in the space arrow world, u surrouned by stones and me watching u diving in and out the ground :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 11:53

And here it is a shot of the first expedition in which we all met at the spaceship with avatars. On this picture I just caught the moth, the blue dart and the firebeing, but it was a great game with many people... The Thin Man, Gary, Andy, Ben, u and me.

Good old times...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 12:14

I remember that - it was a classic meeting! And you did well to get such a great shot - it was always tricky getting everyone into the picture at the same time.

I like Thin Man's observation (it sounds as though he was probably lost somewhere): 'space is big'.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 14:11

Alas! I wish I could have join the games those days. All I could do was to wait for news about them, like Michael Collins in the Apollo lunar module  :/
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 16:23

For me, the biggest memories aren't always the breaking of barriers but just the fun of playing with friends from all over the world.

Little fun things like "hide and seek"

Or getting together a pretty large group and helping each other

but it was extra special to find something new and share it. I spent a long while travelling to find this..

not sure why I bothered though LOL !

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2007, 16:24

Quote (olracUK @ Oct. 12 2007, 21:23)
not sure why I bothered though LOL !

Because it was there!

Your discovery of the fact that you could fly upwards from the green mountain and escape from the planet (and then return and fly around the landscape at normal speed) was one of the great breakthroughs in the history of the game, I think. You should have a plaque installed on the slopes of the green mountain to commemorate the event!
Profile PM 
8 replies since Oct. 11 2007, 08:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net