Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Firefly, In High Places< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SoimSandheaver Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 10 2006, 03:41

Hi. As you may already know, I am a huge fan of sci-fi shows, one of them being the excellent "Firefly", written and directed by Joss Whedon. But, maybe you're thinking, "where does Crises come into it?"

Well, I've been listening to "In High Places", one of my favourite Oldfield songs, and it is, of course, taken from this Album. The more I listen to it, the more it reminds me of the freedom that is such an integral part of the show.

I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum is a fan of the show, and if anyone could say what they think about this idea. It's these lyrics from the song that do it for me:

"Could we get much higher? Could we get much lighter? Navigator to heaven..."

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2006, 12:41

I watched about 15 or 20 minutes of it, and that was all I could take, sorry.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 19:23

I've only just recently got into Firefly, and now I'm kicking myself for leaving it this long, because I absolutely love it!  I saw the film Serenity when it came out on dvd and thought it was good, but I didn't really get it at the time.
And then the other week when I was mooching around my flat with nothing to do, I came across my friends copy of the entire series, started watching it, and got hooked!

But anyways, I can see the Firefly/In High Places connection.  It does really seem to go.  Especially the lyrics you said, and also (I think) the line "The stars so close we touch them/They seem so small/They make me wonder".

The track Five Miles Out from the album of the same name seems to remind me of Firefly too.  Though I'm not quite sure why, because as far as I know, there's no giant storms/hurricanes to navigate through in the dark reaches of space!
:)
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2007, 21:00

Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 17 2007, 00:23)
The track Five Miles Out from the album of the same name seems to remind me of Firefly too.  Though I'm not quite sure why, because as far as I know, there's no giant storms/hurricanes to navigate through in the dark reaches of space!
:)

I see what you mean. For me, the title track on FMO does have a slightly hazardous feel to it, and for the life of the crew on Serenity, every day is another challenge. They always seem to be living on the edge, so it is almost a struggle to keep flying, which is what I think FMO is also about.

I got hooked on Firefly when I saw Serenity when it was released in the Cinemas. Afterwards, one of my mates who had seen the series recommended it to me. I bought it, and from then on, I've been a browncoat, to add to a series of other groups I have joined, one of them being the great community here at tubular.net!

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
3 replies since Nov. 10 2006, 03:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net