Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Drew covers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jerome C Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2012, 01:07

Hi folks

Drew Minasian has made available again in a public share some of his great MO covers, some of them played long ago, but still so fresh and vivid.

It's a true gift to any MO lover and I think here is the right place to copy the content of his email to Amarok mailing list, since his own explanations are far better than any other comment.

Download link is at the bottom.

Enjoy !

-------------
Hello Old Fielders -

Alrighty then, majority opinion has swayed me to set up a Drop Box account, and I've shared a small selection of some of the MO music I've recorded. I have lots more, but my studio is not currently set up, so I'm not able to access the multitrack files for now. A few comments on what's there: all instruments & electronics heard here are arranged & played by me, drew minasian, and recorded on my Mac using ProTools. These include: Korg X2 & M1 keyboards, E-mu, Oberheim & Proteus synthesizer modules, alto, soprano & sopranino recorders, standard & octave mandolins, bells, Hondo electric Travel Guitar, bowed psaltery, drums, bodhran, kalimbas, various other hand percussion. Amarok also features 'Irish', my golden retriever, and the distorted voice of 'Ian', my Australian wolf.

1) Amarok. Recorded in various bursts of activity between 2001-2003. The genesis of this was a challenge put to the list by Valentin Albillo; he wanted to hear other versions of Amarok, and asked interested list members to record any section they wished - as a 'reward' he would send a DVD of rare/obscure Oldfield video clips. I initially recorded about 6 minutes of the center section (enough to get that DVD ) , but really had not intended to do more, indeed, did I did not think I could do it justice. But, as these things happen, I began playing around with the various themes, imagining what I might do with my limited instrumentation, and it just grew. At some point I had to decide 'okay, it's finished'... but you never know. Every time I listen, I think about how I might do things differently, better, who knows, some day I might have a go and do it all over again.

2) The Wind Chimes. In 3 parts, but I've also included the complete work in one piece if you prefer. It is what it is. (Find the Ommadawn quote!;)

3) The Songs of Distant Earth. This one I do not consider 'finished', but it sounds good enough to include here. Lots of fun to add some acoustic mandolin & recorder on this. The last few minutes of the very end are the most 'bare-bones' sounding, but no apologies - I'll finish it some day. In 4 parts for now (again, lack of studio at the moment prevents me from including a complete version.)

4) Platinum. This one barely made the cut. I probably would not have included it, as I'm not entirely happy with some of the sounds, but I figured since I didn't have anything better... here ya go, in 2 parts.

5) Taurus I. I've always enjoyed playing this one. I've done several versions; this is the most recent.

6) Inc4xV3. Just a small snippet of Incantions pt.4. I have most of Inc.1 - 4 done or in progress, but those will have to wait until my studio is back in action.

Okay then - let the downloads begin!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h7e7hplx1uimrsb/dOpGEQLp3F

aloha~
      ~drew

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
0 replies since May 16 2012, 01:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net