Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cuckoo Song - Slow Version (33rpm)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
NelsonPinta Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 21:22

Classic single released in 1977 played in 33rpm. A curiosity!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhtfWHUi3tU
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2010, 03:07

What's curious about it? Anyone with a turntable can do this... I've done lots of that... in my teens ;)

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2010, 03:42

Now warm and lovely - like a childrens' lullaby tune - lulling you to sleep.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2010, 06:54

Of course, as I pointed out to Bassman some time ago, the piece is actually by the late sixteenth-early seventeenth century composer Praetorius. One of the few occasions where Mike's version is inferior to the original.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 01 2010, 20:24

Quote (Herod @ Oct. 30 2010, 17:07)
What's curious about it? Anyone with a turntable can do this... I've done lots of that... in my teens ;)

I remember my parents did the same thing (by mistake) with a 12'' of The theme from Local Hero.
When I came home and heard it played at the wrong speed I thought it was Pink Floyd, no joke try it :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2010, 22:27

Quote (milamber @ Nov. 01 2010, 20:24)
Quote (Herod @ Oct. 30 2010, 17:07)

I remember my parents did the same thing (by mistake) with a 12'' of The theme from Local Hero.
When I came home and heard it played at the wrong speed I thought it was Pink Floyd, no joke try it :D

In an episode of Rising Damp Rigsby put on a record by Matt Monroe to please Miss Jones. He said it was "delightful",which annoyed Miss Jones,as it was being played at the wrong speed!
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2010, 08:20

Shouldv played it at 16 speed , now that would be scarey
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2010, 11:57

I know this sounds like an obvious joke for an Oldfield forum but I got all the way through side one of Oxygéne on 45 RPM once and didn't realise until turning to side B and hearing the familiar Part IV.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2010, 19:35

@ nightspore: Prætorius didn't write this, the YouTube tag is wrong. He wrote "In Dulci Jubilo", whose original version (if you want, I may upload it somewhere) is, of course, much slower than Mike's cover. "Cuckoo Song" is a traditional tune from the 1500s. Regarding this 45-to-33 experiment, to me it's no more curious than "The Chipmunk Song" slowed down, which shows very clearly that David Seville (a.k.a. Ross Bagdasarian) was doing all of the three Chipmunk voices as well, of course, as his own (there are better versions of this clip on YouTube, where the "David" character sounds normal as well). Hearing the same thing on "Cuckoo Song" almost makes you think for an instant that this is the way in which the song was originally recorded - of course, except for the fact that, as we all know, Les Penning and Mike are so good that they could very well play the song at its original speed without any need of such "tricks". Also, the bell tree (the Christmas-ish percussion) sounds very strange here.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2010, 20:06

A better version of the Chipmunks clip...

A better version of the Chipmunks clip.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2010, 20:26

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 05 2010, 19:35)
@ nightspore: Prætorius didn't write this, the YouTube tag is wrong. He wrote "In Dulci Jubilo", whose original version (if you want, I may upload it somewhere) is, of course, much slower than Mike's cover. "Cuckoo Song" is a traditional tune from the 1500s. Regarding this 45-to-33 experiment, to me it's no more curious than "The Chipmunk Song" slowed down, which shows very clearly that David Seville (a.k.a. Ross Bagdasarian) was doing all of the three Chipmunk voices as well, of course, as his own (there are better versions of this clip on YouTube, where the "David" character sounds normal as well). Hearing the same thing on "Cuckoo Song" almost makes you think for an instant that this is the way in which the song was originally recorded - of course, except for the fact that, as we all know, Les Penning and Mike are so good that they could very well play the song at its original speed without any need of such "tricks". Also, the bell tree (the Christmas-ish percussion) sounds very strange here.

I don't know about the Youtube tag, Ugo - I'm going from my LP, which contains a suite of six dances by Pretorius. One of the dances became the Cuckoo song. It's possible that Praetorius reworked an earlier dance, but the LP says merely that the dances are "a tiny fragment of the works of the son of a Thuringian pastor". The suite is dated 1612.
Profile PM 
10 replies since Oct. 29 2010, 21:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net