Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A Floating Rose, Some symphonic music this time< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
EeToN Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2005, 00:51

This is my first serious experiment with symphonic orchestration so please forgive me if you hear something ridiculous. :)

It might be interesting to note that before I composed this music I had made my first track with dark atmosphere. And this seems to be the counterpoint of that: a very light-hearted but still serious piece.

I imagined a rose floating on a river that carries it slowly towards the sea; that's the reason for the title.

A Floating Rose

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 18 2005, 04:17

Seems like your site is down. I will try again later.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: June 18 2005, 05:34

Downloaded it.
And I have to say that I think this arrangement is a little too new age for its own good. There should always be some contrast, some tension in all kinds of music. I got the feeling that the dissonances in your arrangement are accidents, rather than there to create suspension and tension.  
But your composition itself is good. You really do know how to build things up.
Keep up your good work.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: June 18 2005, 18:57

Thank you for your response!

Quote (Satyagraha @ June 18 2005, 11:34)
I have to say that I think this arrangement is a little too new age for its own good.

I suspect you don't like new age, do you? ;)

There should always be some contrast, some tension in all kinds of music.

We disagree in this point - or I misunderstand the "tension" word here - but I seldom seek for tension in music. If I don't like some new age music, it's because most of those artists don't put enough decent melodies in their music, and even if the atmosphere isn't interesting either, then it goes dull to me.

I got the feeling that the dissonances in your arrangement are accidents, rather than there to create suspension and tension.

It wasn't my intention to create tension in a fundamentally peaceful music. That's the dark piece that I had started making before, you may like it then. ;)

I have to note that I find 90% of symphonic music (I've heard before) uninteresting, so you definitely won't find the same properties in those pieces that I create for myself.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
terry2 Offline

Posted: June 23 2005, 16:04

I really like this you’re feeling and your obvious talent do you much credit. I look forward to hearing more
All my best
Terry
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: June 23 2005, 18:43

Thank you for your kind words, Terry!

BTW, I also feel that something is missing and the arrangement is not colourful enough. But it might be the dynamics that it lacks even more. I'll try and learn.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: July 03 2005, 15:43

EeTon, Once again I have to tell you how beautiful your work is.  I want to hear more!!!

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
clarkrbrady Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 02:42

I really found this piece very enjoyable.  I do lean toward NewAge and I like it peaceful, which your piece was.  I thought you had a very nice beginning and liked your ending also.  Yup...NewAge and I love it.  It's good for the soul.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 06:44

I wouldn't want to attach a label ("New Age") to it. I think I can also detect resemblances to certain folk tunes, but that doesn't mean it should be labelled 'folk'. It is what it is - a lovely, gently lilting composition with a feeling of timelessness to it (I think the timelessness comes from the hints of folk tradition)- and the gentleness would be ruined by putting contrasts within the piece. Any contrast would have to come from outside it - before or after.

I have the impression that it needs slightly more variation in texture, somehow - though I've no idea how to translate that comment into technical terms. Definitely worth keeping just as it is, but also worth working on with it, I'd say. Thanks for this.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2005, 20:50

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 06 2005, 12:44)
I have the impression that it needs slightly more variation in texture, somehow - though I've no idea how to translate that comment into technical terms.

There is no need for it; I know what you mean. ;) To be honest, I worked with it a little after I had posted it and the middle part reaches a bit deeper climax and I changed some sounds throughout but I feel it could be better but I still haven't learnt enough to orchestate it better.

Thank you all and I'm glad you like it even in such a state! :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 23:05

I've uploaded the slightly longer version I mentioned. The link remained the same:

A Floating Rose

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 01:57

Good work indeed EeTon
the orchestrations sounds colourful enough to my ears
Im not much of a fan of new age myself, and as mentioned I'd love to have a contrast coming out of nowhere,  such as an electric fuzz guitar or something... but this part seems to stand for irs own just as much.
Carry on the good work
UV
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2006, 19:05

Sorry, but i don't agree about the definition. Too many things are called "New age". But in the new age "box" often there are tracks boring, made with a couple of sounds. And i hate the labels in music. I think there are only 2 kinds of music. Good music and bad music.

"a floating rose" is a very good work, it sounds warm and clear, and there's a deep composing work behind (so it sounds to my ears).

I like it very much. My compliments.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
gbernardin Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 15:35

I read this forum for 2 years silently
But I have just decided to join only to thank you for this piece of music

It is fantastic, great, magic

I cried by listening it for the first time
It arrives sometimes with certain grand fragments (BOF ofThe Last of The Mohicans, Gattaca) where you meet yourselves in perfect harmony
You close your eyes and you are happy...

This piece could very well become a music of film...

One thousand mercis

A fan of France
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 18:37

Wow, these replies were really great to read, thank you all for them! :)

I hope to be able to improve the level even more in the future. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 19:58

Hi EeToN, your piece sounds excellent to me, especially as it builds to the crescendo about 2 thirds of the way in... It maybe gets a tiny bit repetitive after that but thats a very minor complaint...

Well done and thanks for shering with us...

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 03:58

It's good to see this rising to the surface again. I find it lasts well over time - it has a lovely pastoral feeling to it, and makes me think of clear skies and gentle hills, while the tune winds it way along like a river through the landscape.

Congratulations!
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 13:58

wow this is amazing, very medievil and oldfield like, i love it! reminisant of the oldfield of old, which, honestly, is when he was making the best music of his life, i hope you have some more tunes up your sleeve!

regards

lee

:)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
17 replies since June 18 2005, 00:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net