Tears Of An Angel 43  [39.45%]
Romance 2  [1.83%]
Ringscape 12  [11.01%]
Nightshade 7  [6.42%]
That Shade stuff really isn't for me.. 5  [4.59%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your's most favourite Shade track, And the album's second part...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 26 2005, 16:11

Besides Nightshade,my other favs are:

Quicksilver
Resolution
Surfing
Tears of an Angel

AB FAB too !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Souvenirs Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2006, 12:08

Slipstream.

It's so mysterious. I just love the sound of it, and it's kinda relaxing too. Can't believe it has only 3 votes!!!

I also like Quicksilver and Tears of an Angel.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2006, 13:07

I still love Surfing and Nightshade best from this cd. Also Tears...  :cool:

I got to love Romance even!! :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 24 2006, 14:34

Quote (Souvenirs @ Sep. 24 2006, 14:08)
Slipstream.

It's so mysterious. I just love the sound of it, and it's kinda relaxing too. Can't believe it has only 3 votes!!!

Slipstream is not the Mike Oldfield I know,musically speaking!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2006, 16:30

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Romance. For me, it perfectly portrays the destruction of what was once something very beautiful, and the tragedy behind this is very moving to me.

Close behind it are Slipstream and Nightshade. Tears of an Angel seems to stand out to me as the most different track on the "Shade" side of the Album, and it seems quite haunting.

Unfortunately, Surfing is my least favourite track on the Album, the voices are quite disturbing and I want to change the track whenever I hear it.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2006, 17:18

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Sep. 24 2006, 16:30)
I feel like I'm the only one who likes Romance.

not the only one mate, as I 3 posts before also said that I loved that track!!
It inspired me to buy 4 trance cd's shortly after hahaha  :laugh:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2006, 17:14

I also love Romance, although I don't see anything tragic in it. :D However, my fav tracks on Shade (as I think I've already stated here) are "Tears of an angel" & "Surfing".

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2006, 17:26

Surfing and TOAA bring back some powerful memories for me. When L&S was released, I copied them to MP3 and took it out walking with me through the hills of Peak District. Even though they're not swooping and anthemic like some of the Oldfield tracks I normally like listening to on my treks, on this occasion, these two songs seemed to compliment my mood and the landscape I was walking through perfectly. I always take these tunes with me whenever I'm walking in that particular part of the peaks now :)

Which reminds me that I've not listened to L&S for ages now - time to dig it out, I think :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Hoot Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2006, 19:42

Im not surprised that TOAA is doing so well.............its GREAT!(no i havent just eaten a bowl of frosties!!!:D)

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
Tubular ireland Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2006, 15:08

Ringscape is awsome :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 20:23

I really dig all of Shade. I think dance/techno/trance and Mike make a good combination. And there are moments that evoke the moodiness of past works. For example, the guitar section in "Surfing" reminded me a little of the atmosphere on Crises. It stunned and thrilled me on first listen as I hadn't expected this throwback (in the best possible sense) on his most recent work.

Behind the overt electonica of "Romance", there is what I consider an exotic sound, sometimes bringing to mind ruffle-edged skirts and castanets, other times barefoot dancers in veils.

The bluesy "Ringscape" is music for seduction, while "Nightshade" is for making love.

Delibes' "Dome epais" has long been a favorite, so - as far as "Lakme" is concerned - I'm probably lacking whatever objectivity remains after taking into account my MO fanaticism. So, hearing this tune on Mike's guitar is just.... well, I love it to bits.

ETA

I voted for "Nightshade".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 

Posted: May 27 2007, 21:46

Quote (Sweatpea @ May 27 2007, 22:23)
I think dance/techno/trance and Mike make a good combination.

I do think so.
It's electronic music,Mike Oldfield boosted.

Quote (Sweatpea @ May 27 2007, 22:23)
...while "Nightshade" is for making love.

Yeah,Nightshade(the album version) really works that way.The german promo version is to dance a lot!
And Mike really knows how to make sexy music that appeals to me  ;)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 28 2007, 04:46

Tati, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I think I saw a reference to a 'German promo' version earlier - is it good?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2007, 15:46

Quicksilver ****
Resolution ****
Slipstream ***
Surfing *****
Tears of an Angel *****
Romance ****
Ringscape ****
Nightshade *****
Lakme *****

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 05 2007, 22:29

Quote (Sweetpea @ May 28 2007, 06:46)
Tati, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I think I saw a reference to a 'German promo' version earlier - is it good?

The German Promo of Nightshade,IMHO,is much better than the CD version.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2007, 03:51

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 05 2007, 22:29)
The German Promo of Nightshade,IMHO,is much better than the CD version.

I've since heard that version. While I think it's very good, I do prefer the original.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 21:56

Maybe memory is tricking me, but I recall grading the tracks one by one... Oh, well, let's do it anyway.

Quicksilver: B-
Resolution: D-
Slipstream: B-
Surfing: B+
Tears of an Angel: B
Roman--F!!! F!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, but I do hate it)
Ringscape: A
Nightshade: C+ (thanks to Sweetpea's comment, I think I'll never, ever be able to listen to it again - yuck!; nothing personal, though, honestly)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 22:00

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Sep. 24 2006, 16:30)
I feel like I'm the only one who likes Romance. For me, it perfectly portrays the destruction of what was once something very beautiful

That's exactly it: Mike Oldfield completely destroyed a melody that once was something very, very beautiful. :D

(couldn't resist it, :) )

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 22:13

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 12 2007, 21:56)
thanks to Sweetpea's comment, I think I'll never, ever be able to listen to it again - yuck!; nothing personal, though, honestly

Never say 'never', Sir M! Besides, you haven't seen my 'boudoir' poses - think Janeane Garofalo in black-framed glasses and granny panties. *wink wink*

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 07:04

Weirdly enough, I have begun to like Lakmé the most on this album.  :O

Yes I know. Calm down... I'd previously said I really didnt like it... but my inner raver has come out and I like it :P

Nah, I dont rave... but this track has got a very positive energy for me.

I wish I could change my vote!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
75 replies since Sep. 29 2005, 10:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net