Tears Of An Angel 43  [39.45%]
Romance 2  [1.83%]
Ringscape 12  [11.01%]
Nightshade 7  [6.42%]
That Shade stuff really isn't for me.. 5  [4.59%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your's most favourite Shade track, And the album's second part...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thomas Höögh Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 15:50

Ok, I must say I like the Shade-disc best so far. And for the poll above I think its really hard to decide wich song is best. I like Quicksilver, Surfing, Romance, Slipstream and Resolution. And ofcourse the other two songs too :) Brilliant album in all its strangeness :)

Can someone tell me if Romance is a sort of cover or is it just very much like another popular song. Couse it sounds so familiar.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 17:42

Quote (Thomas Höögh @ Oct. 05 2005, 20:50)
Can someone tell me if Romance is a sort of cover or is it just very much like another popular song.

Yes, it's a piece popular amongst classical guitarists, known as Spanish Romance, Romanza, Romance Anónimo or one of many other titles!

It really ought to be credited as 'traditional' in the booklet. Likewise, Closer/Pres de Toi should be credited to Lowell Mason, but isn't.
Profile PM 
oney Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2005, 07:48

Ok when i got a couple of tracks from itunes light + shade is put under pop then when finally when my disc came from amazon itunes puts light under altternative and shade under electronica strange or what ? i know it is hard sometimes to put mike in a pigeon hole which he fights against thankfully but, itunes should make their mind up lol
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 06:26

First impression-wise: Favourites are Resolution and Surfing. Slipstream has a great middle part which does btw not come from the original FL demo. Quicksilver is yet another TB in 4/4, but it's nice. Tears of an Angel has a great opening, which is reminiscent of Doge's Palace but better, and then there's this completely pointless break... or could I be missing out on something?
Profile PM 
oney Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 06:45

I like the "break" take me back to mike around the begining of his work when he suddenly just stops then changes mode ,mood or style or even genre of music why should it be a constantly flowing arrangement surely like life it does not flow in one direction some times it hits the breaks and other times we go full speed ahead, sometime at full speed ahead we don't see things and we swerve and hit a wall somtimes we need to stop and think on what has just come to pass just like music we need to stop and think on what the last passge has just said or to try to decode what is happening?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 06:48

Whoa, you got a point there!

Also, I have to correct myself on Slipstream: I find I like it in its entirety - it's made to dance to!

My, this album is so Mike Oldfield!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 05:53

Have only listened to it twice so far but I know what I don't like, I think the wailing in 'Resolution' reallys suits the track but needed to be a real voice, the one used is irritating, like a cat having it's tail pulled while gargling water!

I hate the deep voice that says 'Slipstream', but love the rest of the track.

And I don't like the vocals in 'Surfing' either, again, they suit the song but they are not articulate, it is too much work trying to understand what they are saying and that takes away from my enjoyment of the music.

The rest of the vocaloids I can tolerate but these three things are the only things I do not like about the album.

I love all the tracks and I can't pick a favourite yet but 'Lakme' is the one that has stayed in my head and I am humming to myself. Probably just because I already knew it, I think it is used in a QANTAS ad here (Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service) as opposed to British Airways, they must be connected somehow. Our ad shows hundreds of children singing all over the world and they make a 'Picasso' like face when shown from the air, I think, haven't seen it for a while. Can any Aussies confirm this for me?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 06:52

My favourite is Tears of an Angel, then Ringscape. Strangely, Shade has my favourite tracks from the album (the ones I mentioned above), but also my least favourite (all the dancy ones). Light is more consistant, but without the great high points.  

Oh and Tracy, I've never heard Lakme in a QANTAS add. I have seen ones with lots of kids, but they all sing 'I am Australian'. I don't know if there are different adds for different states though, I can only speak for Western Australia.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 09:22

Tears of an Angel.  :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 14:27

Quote (TubularBelle @ Oct. 09 2005, 05:53)
I think the wailing in 'Resolution' reallys suits the track but needed to be a real voice, the one used is irritating, like a cat having it's tail pulled while gargling water!

The more I listen to that track, the more the human siren bothers me.  It sounds like a very ANGRY Claire Torrey.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 14:37

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 24 2005, 14:27)
It sounds like a very ANGRY Claire Torrey.

When she was angry, singing Floyds' Great gig in the Sky, it sounded really nice though...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 14:53

I think she sounded ecstatic/joyful/blissful on "Great Gig in the Sky". Robo-claire sounds ANGRY.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2005, 04:58

My inclination at first was to go with Ringscape because I've loved the owl music in MVR for so long; but really - it belongs with Tr3s Lunas, not on L&S.

So laying that aside, my vote had to be for TOAA which surely must rank among the finest things Mike has ever done. Playing with toys, they say? Pooh! Just listen to the brilliantly expressive amalgamation of guitar and synthesised music here, and boggle. The use of synthetic vocals is thoroughly artistically justified here. Inimitable. Pure Mike Oldfield. I'd pay the price of the double CD just for this track.
Profile PM 
Falc04 Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2005, 15:50

Surfing...best song on the entire album!
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 03 2005, 16:13

Quote (Falc04 @ Nov. 03 2005, 15:50)
Surfing...best song on the entire album!

we have similair minds
:cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 05:17

You're right Raven, it isn't the QANTAS ad, I saw that yesterday and they sing 'I still call Australia home', but I have heard it in an ad so maybe it is for another airline and I still think this was the one where they make a face with the eye turned around the wrong way, like a 'Picasso' painting. Maybe it was Virgin, are they connected to British Airways or competitors?

I think I might have to vote for Ringscape or Lakme simply because they don't have any annoying vocaloids in them, that whole saying the name of the song over and over wears a little thin too. Definitely the vocaloids are the only thing that bug me about this album, don't mind the synthesisers or the dance beats at all.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 00:30

I voted for "Tears" (is sooo expressive and almost painfully beautiful), but I really love "Surfing," too, and think "Slipstream" is great fun (fun on the dark side? ) . At a kids' Halloween Party a couple of weeks ago, we were playing various "spooky" music, and it occurred to me that I could have slipped in "Slipstream" and they'd just assume that it was from a scary-type movie they'd not seen. Not a heavy macabre one, but a movie containing an element of scary fun.

"Romance" is supposed to be a dance track, and it would probably work on the dance floor of a club, but I've not found it very interesting for interpretive/lyric/modern forms or just to listen to (though "Ringscape" has lots of possibilities! ). "Nightshade" is kind of cool. Actually, I like most of the pieces comprising Shade. Too bad, indeed, about "Lakme" not being on all the editions.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 08:15

For me - N I G H T S H A D E  :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 11:22

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Nov. 05 2005, 08:15)
For me - N I G H T S H A D E  :laugh:

I find myself listening to that song more and more as well. There's something cool about the rhythm.  :cool:
I bet that's the song that will be in my head all night when I'm going to the pub tonight, to drink lots of.... eh, milk ;)
So the 4 best tracks, imo, are
- surfing
- tears of an angel
- nightshade
- resolution
I'm really glad that I'm beginning to love L&S more and more... :)
Deafinitely an album that takes some time to get used to and it gets better every day! :D  
Greetings, a happy boy :cool:

PS: your photo's at the Members Photographs section are really cool, Tati the Sentinel
Everyone who haven't send their photo's yet, please go to the Miscellaneous section, to the Members Photographs thread!

--------------
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 20:12

Just got the CD today so I'm way behind everyone, but with my first quick listen, I think Light will be played ten times over.  Shade, not so much.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
75 replies since Sep. 29 2005, 10:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net