Tears Of An Angel 43  [39.45%]
Romance 2  [1.83%]
Ringscape 12  [11.01%]
Nightshade 7  [6.42%]
That Shade stuff really isn't for me.. 5  [4.59%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your's most favourite Shade track, And the album's second part...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bastian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 10:50

The best for me are "Tears Of An Angel", then "Resolution". "Surfing" is my 3rd choice.
Only if there were real strings on "Tears..." it would superb track. And a real vocalist on "Surfing"...

So what are your choices?

--------------
Bastian
-==Take a walk until the next dawn ==-
-== In the winter, rain and storms  ==-
Profile PM WEB 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 09:15

Vocaloids spoil TOAA for me! :/

Sorry about being a luddite.......

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 10:11

I just heard the track Surfing 6 times in a row now! Or it's a brilliant song, or I'm a pathetic lonely guy without any hobbies!  :p  I hope the first!
Greetings from HappyHolland!  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 10:18

Shame that I can't vote more than once. :) However, Surfing and ToaA are the best ones on the "Shade" disc 4 me. However I also like the "Light" disc a lot. :)

@ Bastian: a virtual vocalist is less expensive and easier to control (thus faster to record) than a real one. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 10:58

Tears from an angel!
I just love how it starts. And the africa choir is very good to. I love when he do it like that!
Let there be some videos soon. Please mike? Do you sleep?? WAAAKE UP! ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 17:43

"Tears of an angel" followed by surfing . :cool:
Profile PM 
Tas Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 08:44

well, i would have chosen "Lakme" if it were an option.. i don't understand however why Mike Chose this track as only a bonus track on the UK edition cos it's a stunning piece of work!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 11:41

I agree with Tas  LAKEME is to good just to be on
only Special edition CDs ..  I voted for Surfing but
of course TOAA is Class as well !! To me they belong
together Bits of Surfing seem to appear in the Early
Vocaloid sections of TOAA blending the Tks together..
nicely .. love the Mad Violin Sounding early section as
well !! :D
Profile PM 
Bastian Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 09:20

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 30 2005, 16:18)
@ Bastian: a virtual vocalist is less expensive and easier to control (thus faster to record) than a real one. :D

I don't think that was why Mike has used vocaloids. I think he used them because he found vocaloids an interesting technical gadget. He always liked technical gadgets (see all those flying objects without any sense in videos in Islands era).  :/

--------------
Bastian
Profile PM WEB 
Locutus Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 11:49

TOAA is most....explorative(first steps on light).others good, but 2 easy to remeber (2 sumarise the album problem)
...shade's  a nice modern work,for an old guy;)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 13:33

Quote (Bastian @ Oct. 03 2005, 09:20)
Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 30 2005, 16:18)

I don't think that was why Mike has used vocaloids. I think he used them because he found vocaloids an interesting technical gadget. He always liked technical gadgets (see all those flying objects without any sense in videos in Islands era).  :/

That's putting it mildly. I'd say Mike has an OBSESSION for technical gadgets. Either that or he thought the public would go "wow, these voices are being sung by a computer. That's so, like, COOL, dude!" over it. I, personally, don't react like that, and the music would resonate MUCH more in me if it were sung by a real singer - i.e. 'The Gate'.

EDIT: Oh, my vote: Ringscape.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bastian Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 04:46

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 03 2005, 19:33)
That's putting it mildly. I'd say Mike has an OBSESSION for technical gadgets. Either that or he thought the public would go "wow, these voices are being sung by a computer. That's so, like, COOL, dude!" over it. I, personally, don't react like that, and the music would resonate MUCH more in me if it were sung by a real singer - i.e. 'The Gate'.

I couldn't agree more. I just can't stand synthethic "uuuuuu" in "The Gate" so  I deleted it from my playlist. And this could be nice track...  :(

--------------
Bastian
Profile PM WEB 
siul Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 04:59

My vote goes for "Nightshade".

Definitely this track is growing on me. Not only about trance-guitar integration, but also the wonderful arpegiator effect flute-synth in the middle. Great from Oldfield (and from Christopher von Deylen).
Profile PM 
afghan Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 14:05

:D I cant stop listening to TOAA it is fantastic :D

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 16:22

"Oh Yeah".

Is anyone here familiar with "Yello"? "Nightshade" sounds like it is off their album "Stella". Not that this is a bad thing.

So far, I am seeing much of this album in terms of it sounding like something from before. "Quicksilver" sounds like the son of "Source of Secrets" and "Serpent Dream" from TB3. Certainly, the theme that kicks in around 2:18 in "Quicksilver" sounds similar to the "Source of Secrets" main theme, and perhaps puts the song as being "totally tubular" enough to be next in line of the long evolution that started with the "Exorcist" theme in TB1.

At 3:52, the theme takes on a different sound, and comes across like a disco version of "Genesis Chapter 1 verse 32" by the Alan Parsons Project for a brief time.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
seren Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 17:45

"Ringscape" is just so beautiful.  It's sexy, sad and just gorgeous all at once, I adore it! I love the "Shade" disc, in some ways I prefer it to "Light".
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 08:10

Hiawatha, you're totally right about some bits of Quicksilver sounding like the I, ROBOT album of Alan Parsons Project!! That's exactly what I thought! Not really new technology that he's using then! hahaha
And some parts really sound like TBIII, indeed, so he should have called the track Tubular Sells!  :p
I'm still absolutely addicted to Surfing! It is so brilliant! So I've had not much time yet to listen to the Light cd!

And now a direct message to Mike:

PLEASE GO AND TOUR AGAIN :cool:
Greetings, Runaway Son from Holland! ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 09:32

Ringscape for me.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 09:49

Definitely TOAA! Just magical for me - the vocoloids work very well with the mood of the song. After that I would put Resolution, Surfing and Ringscape (would be higher if I wasn't so familiar with it already). Quicksilver comes soon after these but the rest are nothing special for me. :D

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
oney Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 10:52

ok it's only early days but, surfing is my fave. so far was tears of an angel until read what it was about then thought (swearing) thats abit on the depressive side of life but , true to how you feel in that situation. so want to feel more positive so go with "phantoms" in my dreams oh! thats abit depressing too lol well see a lot of darkness in this album no shade from the fear and not much light to brighten the dark winter nights that are surely coming our way. so if the next album is called " sun shines in spain" i'll know its about mikes trip there and he saw the national park fo up in flames and all the wild life getting scared and killed and people lossing their homes to the fires which some fool started due to carelessness, oooops think i have gone to far now or will mike beat me and prove how dark he sometimes sees things?
Profile PM 
75 replies since Sep. 29 2005, 10:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net