[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your Theme Tune< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 09:07

Hi Ugo,

yes she is likened to Kate Bush, but has more about her in my view ( much as I like old Kate ). Probably, I just 'get' the feelings behind the songs more. She has done covers of a couple of Bowie songs that I love too. Lovely lovely acoustic tracks...she even had to learn to play left handed after an accident.

( trivia alert :: She is related distantly to Cecil Rhodes, the South African Politician/businessman )

Albums Hard to find ~ true. I started with Find Me from I tunes. Which was obviously not hard to find!!

The rest Available from

http://www.artist-shop.com/auntiesocial/index.htm

as either download or streaming (whatever THAT means!!;) I'm sure you'll be successful  :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 19:31

Hello Bee, and thanks very much for your help. Unfortunately I have to tell you that I don't think I'll buy anything from the Auntie Social Music site, simply because I hate to buy music in digital-only format. I hate iTunes [I go there only when I have to get a tune which is unavailable elsewhere - which unfortunately seems to be more and more common these days!] , I hate all music downloads. I am an old-fashoned guy (what the heck, I'm forty years old!! :O) who loves vinyl and loves physical CDs, and who is firmly convinced that the popularity of digital downloads is totally killing popular music. Call me extreme, but this is my point of view. So, I think I will rephrase my original question: do you know a place where I can buy PHYSICAL RELEASES of Happy Rhodes' music? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 19:54

my mistake, sorry Ugo...quite understand about the download thing...I abhor it all but have succombed to itunes as I have three teenage sons in my house and the digital tide is hard to resist (reprehensible I know, but interesting things may happen with the i pad and music releases...I am hopeful there..it is a beautiful thing to hold and there is potential for music and wonderful images too)

You could try this for Happy Rhodes

CD Baby

I have never used them myself, but I have come across them from other routes so I think they are reliable, worth a try anyway! good luck :)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 20:37

Kristin Hersh  has an album called Crooked and there is an I pad ap which has, as I understand, music, essay, lyrics and stunningly beautiful pictures to look at. I only have the downloaded iPod version but it does have a short digital booklet, so I think I get the idea. In the right hands it could be quite a creative way of experiencing music. Digital art is becoming quite advanced and acceptable generally with exhibitions taking place. Thinking also of Brian eno here...and didn't Jon Hopkins do something visual at Coldplays's concerts? It's a new beginning or a continuation depending on how you look at it.

To have something visual with the music is as close to the vinyl album covers as you can get today.  I too, being half a decade older ugo :/ ,
miss the pleasure of studying the artwork accompanying the music.

This I pad might be a move in the right direction?

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2010, 13:48

Slark - Stackride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf28ii3MpBY

Whats that tune they sampled at the Start ..  ?

Kristin Hersh joins the Long list of people who are supposed to sound like Kate Bush I guess... Nearly every review of Indie Female Vocalists Releasing new Albums this year Mention Kate Bush... Think the Journalists are getting Lazy...

The MP3 Download looks Like its here to stay.. Surprised theres not many Hi Fi Machines with Hard Drives to Store the Things Maybe only Sony Juke Box & a Few Others..    Be Better when You can buy a Down load Plus get a Machine to Flash up Art Work & Lyrics they will continue to be the 2nd Best Option.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Tales of Zelos Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 07:31

I'm not sure if I want you all to take ten minutes out of your life so I'll leave out any links. If you do analyse the rhythm and bass lines I'm most likely to absent mindedly hum, it would be Lil Louis' French Kiss
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 08:05

Quote (Tales of Zelos @ Jan. 01 2011, 12:31)
I'm not sure if I want you all to take ten minutes out of your life so I'll leave out any links.

Come on Tales of Zelos - don't tease, give us a link.  :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 10:04

@ Wiga: it's much better than ToZ didn't give a link, as "French Kiss" is nothing but ten minutes of a very repetitive techno/house thing which slows down in the middle, where a few rather obscene noises are heard. :O :D

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 10:16

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 01 2011, 15:04)
"French Kiss" is nothing but ten minutes of a very repetitive techno/house thing which slows down in the middle, where a few rather obscene noises are heard. :O :D

That sounds like my kind of music.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 10:34

@ wiga: if you really want to hear a woman moaning while having sex (simulated or otherwise - because that's what "French Kiss" is), listen to "Infinity" by Vangelis, or rather by Aphrodite's Child, on the 666 album, where Irene Papas does the same thing - better. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 10:39

:O  Oh, good grief NO - don't link it - put it away!  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 11:38

Ugo that song is quite erotic IMO. But To Be Free is even more erotic for me  :)  I hope I didn't upset you with that  :)

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Tales of Zelos Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 12:00

My reasons were part parental guidance, part lack of Youtube access and part understanding that French Kiss's charms are not appreciated by everyone. But look what i've started! An adults only topic? You filthy swines! Back to your own beds!!!
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 12:20

Quote (Tales of Zelos @ Jan. 01 2011, 17:00)
But look what i've started! An adults only topic? You filthy swines! Back to your own beds!!!

Oi Talea of Zelos -don't turn it back on us - you chose it as YOUR theme tune!!

This is mine. Needs to go on your sports thread, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOEO_fgG3-I

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 14:35

I don't believe 666 is the devil's number. I think this is a common misconception originating with Erasmus of Rotterdam who mistranslated the number I think. I believe the number of the devil is 616. triple six would be weird anyhow because isn't 3 a holy number? A lot of symbolicism seems to revolve around 3. For example the dollar bills in America.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 15:10

@ HR lover: the fact that 666 is the devil's number is not a misconception, and it's not from Erasmus. It's from the Bible. "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." - Book of Revelations, 13:17-18. Threescore is, of course, sixty. ;) Whether or not you believe in the Bible is an entirely different matter, but it's in the Bible. Regarding "To Be Free", no, you didn't upset me - I'm forty, you know. And anyway I always felt that the vocals in that song are sensual, not erotic. There's a difference. 9 1/2 Weeks was erotic, and even vulgarily erotic in some points. "To Be Free" to me is sensual. And "Erotica" by Madonna is too, despite its title. :)

Oh, by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDZMojfGnQ

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 15:49

The bible has been translated a lot of times. A lot can go lost in translation. The number 666 is a greek translation I believe. The oldest bible found has number 616 I think. I also dispute that it's the number of the devil because I believe the devil itself is a mistranslation, again in greek. I've read that the number is about emporer Nero.  As for sensual and erotic, I must agree with you. To Be Free sounds sensual not erotic.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2011, 17:25

@ HR lover: the number was never written in digits within the Bible, it was always written in words. I do know a little bit of Greek, because my mother studied it and taught it to me. In Greek, the number is ἑξακόσιοι ἑξήκοντα ἕξ (hexakósioi hexēkonta héx); ἑξήκοντα is definitely sixty, and, even considering the unaccuracy of ancient Bible transcripts, I don't think that anyone would ever confuse δέκα (déka), i.e. ten, with ἑξήκοντα - the words are just too different. Also, the Bible passage doesn't name the devil as such; the word is θηρίου, "beast". [Do you remember the Iron Maiden song? "Six! Six six! The number of the Beast!" - which of course was NOT a Satanic song! :)] All through the Book of Revelations, the Beast stands as a symbol of Satan, who is never explicitly named. (See here.) And yes, if you translate six-six-six according to ancient numerological codes, you get "Nero Caesar". The album by Aphrodite's Child was not demonic or Satanic in intent - their intent was to have a musical (if extreme) representation of the Book of Revelations. However, if you have your own ideas about this, I have to say that I respect them and I'd rather stop arguing about them.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tales of Zelos Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2011, 03:46

Regret to say my Youtube is still down. Must have picked up a virus.

I'm not extending the theological debate, Ugo and HRlover, but I remember the question of the number deliberately tripping up the panellists on an edition of QI (so we might have Molly to thank for it!;)
Some of the relevant info here
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/666_(number)?wasRedirected=true
My hardly official observation is that 666 in Arabic form is the more aesthetically pleasing and mathematically satisfying number and people can't help picking up on that.

A favourite example is a lady who wrote into a newspaper I saw in Scotland one time. She earnestly informed us that in assigning the value 100 to the letter A, 101 to B and so on to 125 for Z, the only surname that added up to 666 was Hitler. The paper's resident crossword fiends must have got tn work quickly because their printed responce was that it couldn't be much fun if you spell your name McLure...!
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2011, 08:50

I bet you also don't want to argue that the 2nd world war offcially ended in 1989? (just to be provocative :) )

--------------
Profile PM 
82 replies since Dec. 27 2010, 04:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net