[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your Theme Tune< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 04:58

What is your Theme Tune?

By Theme Tune I mean background music - that suits you - today (or everyday).

Don't over-think it - let it come naturally.

Today my Theme Tune is this - ROTATION.

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DJK7LJ_0yA&feature=related]

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 05:40

My theme tune as merged into this, because it's snowing - again. I live on a hill and I wish I had skis.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOEO_fgG3-I

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 06:26

I think my theme tune is whatever I happen to be listening to at the moment... On the other hand, you once associated me with "Sunset", so I'm happy for that to be me T.T.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 08:21

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 27 2010, 11:26)
On the other hand, you once associated me with "Sunset", so I'm happy for that to be me T.T.

Well in my case, what people most associate with me is Ommadawn. And I guess that's the truth - it's in my soul.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 12:10

I don't usually use music as background while I'm doing other things (like now, typing on the computer): when I listen to music, I listen to music. It may happen that I start a piece on one of the media players I have here, or on YouTube, then I wander off, open a browser window and the music keeps playing. In this case it is the same for me as for Nightspore above. But in the vast majority of cases I just don't start a piece of music with the intention of letting it play in the background.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 12:56

Ugo - I suppose what I'm really after is finding out who you are through music - like which song or instrumental is a good representation of you.

In your case Ugo, I might associate you with a section of Amarok or TBII??

"Sunset" fits Nightspore, that's true, so though our taste varies from day to day, there are core tunes that have a strong association with us - like a Theme Tune.

Have I explained that better? :D

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 13:22

Another Theme Tune for me. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5G6ffAOJUk

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 13:48

OK, now I understand you better. Well, I guess that "Sentinel", "Red Dawn", "The Bell", "Weightless" and "Sunset Door" could all work as my theme tune. As for Amarok, I can't pick a single section out of it - as disjointed as it may seem, to me it has always sounded very unitarian. However, I've often found myself singing along with strongly melodic sections like "Boat" or "Lion", so you may count those as well. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 17:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaV-6qerkqI
:D  :)
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 18:01

My Theme Tune

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 19:19

Quote (wiga @ Dec. 27 2010, 13:22)
Another Theme Tune for me. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5G6ffAOJUk

Reminds me of that old joke about Ma, Pa, and Ethel climbing the mountain to star-gaze....

"Jupiter" is my favourite from The Planets.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 10:36

If you were to ask anyone who knows me well, what is my theme/defining song they would Im sure say this almost without exception....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw99-Ic

Oddly enough, I asked my stepdaughter the first time I ever met her what her favourite song was and she replied unhesitatingly....Wish you were here, Pink Floyd.....needless to say, we get along very well.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 19:52

Quote (Hastengas @ Dec. 28 2010, 10:36)
If you were to ask anyone who knows me well, what is my theme/defining song they would Im sure say this almost without exception....

Oddly enough, I asked my stepdaughter the first time I ever met her what her favourite song was and she replied unhesitatingly....Wish you were here, Pink Floyd.....needless to say, we get along very well.

"Eet's too sad" - Roger Waters, describing Antonioni's reaction to PF's Zabriskie Point music.

Now, Hastengas, about this star nonsense...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 21:09

@ nightspore, a bit off-topic: Antonioni said that about a primitive instrumental version of the piece which became "Us and Them" - its original title was "Violent Sequence". He also said: "It sounds like cherch". On the Dark Side documentary, you can hear that slower piano version (which Rick Wright originally played to Antonioni) and it does actually sound sad. The final track does not, at least to me. Nor does "Wish You Were Here" - if I were to pick a very sad PF song, I'd go for "Nobody Home", from The Wall.

By the way, I vaguely remember the "star nonsense (etc.)" quote as being PF-related, but I don't remember how. Can you please explain?

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 21:17

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 28 2010, 21:09)
@ nightspore, a bit off-topic: Antonioni said that about a primitive instrumental version of the piece which became "Us and Them" - its original title was "Violent Sequence". He also said: "It sounds like cherch". On the Dark Side documentary, you can hear that slower piano version (which Rick Wright originally played to Antonioni) and it does actually sound sad. The final track does not, at least to me. Nor does "Wish You Were Here" - if I were to pick a very sad PF song, I'd go for "Nobody Home", from The Wall.

By the way, I vaguely remember the "star nonsense (etc.)" quote as being PF-related, but I don't remember how. Can you please explain?

Hi Ugo, yes, I know the context of Antonioni's ZP comments. I just thought it was amusing to apply them to "Wish You Were Here", which in my opinion is probably PF's most melancholy piece ("Two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl year after year" not sad? Now really, Ugo!;)

The "star nonsense" reference comes at the beginning of the piece, where the user changes radio stations. You also hear a snippet from Tchaikovsky's Symph 4.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2010, 19:11

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 29 2010, 03:17)
... "Wish You Were Here", which in my opinion is probably PF's most melancholy piece ("Two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl year after year" not sad? Now really, Ugo!;)

@ Daniel/Nightspore: apart from the fact that, of course, melancholy and sadness aren't always the same thing (especially in music), IMHO sadness in popular [i.e. non-classical] music is always expressed by a combination of music and lyrics. While the lyrics to WYWH are indeed sad (poetically sad, I may say), the music somehow manages to make them feel less sad than they actually are. At least, that's the impression I get from that song. Instead, in a song like "Nobody Home" you can perfectly perceive all of the disillusionment of the singer towards what he is describing, the sadness of it all. May it be because "Nobody Home" has no drums and no bass? :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2010, 20:47

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 29 2010, 19:11)
Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 29 2010, 03:17)
... "Wish You Were Here", which in my opinion is probably PF's most melancholy piece ("Two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl year after year" not sad? Now really, Ugo!;)

@ Daniel/Nightspore: apart from the fact that, of course, melancholy and sadness aren't always the same thing (especially in music), IMHO sadness in popular [i.e. non-classical] music is always expressed by a combination of music and lyrics. While the lyrics to WYWH are indeed sad (poetically sad, I may say), the music somehow manages to make them feel less sad than they actually are. At least, that's the impression I get from that song. Instead, in a song like "Nobody Home" you can perfectly perceive all of the disillusionment of the singer towards what he is describing, the sadness of it all. May it be because "Nobody Home" has no drums and no bass? :)

That's an interesting reaction, as it is mainly the music to me that connotes a feeling of absolute loss. In "Nobody Home", on the other hand, the feeling (to me) is less sad, because the protagonist is shielded to an extent: he knows in advance that there will be nobody home. (Hence the ironic "Surprise surprise surprise").
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 08:37

today, and most of the last month it's this for me

sorry, no picture

happy rhodes

not everyone likes her or the style of music but i really do

lyrics....

Ode (Ecto)

Believe..the sun will come out again
        the sun will come out again

Believe..your love will return again
        your love will return again

Never cry for the rain
(never cry, never cry for the rain)
It brings us soothing sounds to sleep by

And never cry because you feel unloved
(never cry, never cry 'cause you're unloved)
That's what your arms are for
To wrap them around yourself

And believe..the sun will come out again

Never cry because you're lonely
(never cry, never cry 'cause you're alone)
Your love will always be around the bend

And never cry because you think you can't make it
(never cry, never cry 'cause you can't make it)
You've made it this far
That's better than most

Believe..the sun will come out again

Never cry because you're scared
(never cry, never cry because you're scared)
The only thing that can harm you is your fear

And don't ask why you must hurt so much
(don't ask why, don't ask why you hurt so much)
It's just a process of healing
Remember..

To believe..believe when I say..that I believe in you
           yes I believe in you

Believe..believe when I say..that I'll love you always
           yes I'll love you always

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 08:45

@ bee: isn't Happy Rhodes that girl who sounds like Kate Bush with lots of electronics in the background? :) I love her style too, but it seems that her albums are extremely hard to find. Can you please point me to some place where they sell them online?

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 09:05

Hmmm... this was difficult. I don't really have a song that represents me I think. But this song is very dear to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvyXVFNzvag

Tihs truly is one of the finest and best serie ever made IMO.
Japanese cinema is the most sophisticated cinema there is IMO.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
82 replies since Dec. 27 2010, 04:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net