Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your favourite part of Amarok?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 16 2005, 16:19

Which part/parts of Amarok is your favourite?
And which one is the most bad?

No part of Amarok is bad for me, I like all of them,
but my favourites are "Scot" (11:13 - 13:16),
"Boat" (26:19 - 29:27) and the
whole of the "Africa" part.

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2005, 17:33

Mine are mostly the same as yours. :) I also love "Roses" (8:35-10:24) because it reminds me of TSODE, and its 'happy' variation "Big Roses" (32:06-33:14).

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2005, 19:44

This might just be the hardest question I've ever been asked on this forum. There are so many to choose from. The first 20 mins or so, up until the riduculously fast guitar of "Fast Waltz" is practically perfect. The piano that comes after the whispered section ("Boat", I think it's called) is quite beautiful, and of course the Africa sections are just amazing. Those are my favourite sections. Yes, I know they probably make up two thirds of the album, but it's all pretty much perfect.  ;)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 04:56

Well, practically anything that the ascending theme is involved with... to specify, the Boat section at the end of side one, the reggae ending with the same motif played on bagpipes, just before the African drums enter... the second African section... That's it. Amarok isn't a sum of parts.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 06:28

My favourite parts are the more obvious ones I'd guess: Climax I, Africa I Climax, Africa II Climax and Africa III Finale.

My least favourite part's are the so called Mad Bits and Africa III: Hello Everyone (what a surprise! ).

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2005, 01:16

Didlybom,Mad Bit,Africa I & 2 my favourites,but the whole concept makes the album great.

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
mink stoles Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2005, 09:13

my favourite part is around 15 mins into amarok.  the banjo bit with the blips that move from speaker to speaker and get faster and faster

--------------
So if you you feel a little glum,
To Hergest Ridge you should come.
Profile PM 
Pulsifer Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2005, 14:31

My favourite part of Amarok is Hoover/Scot - just after the Fast Riff Reprise - moment which is for me full of magic, mystic... in one word: 'beautiful'...
The all Africa's, and especially characteristic riff in Africa 2 :)

--------------
The Watcher And The Tower Waiting Hour By Hour...
Profile PM 
Spak Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 23:35

Crap, there are so many ingenius parts...

If I had to pick, I LOVE 42:29 and i really enjoy the vocals from 44:00 to the end and the woman talking is amazing. I love that speech.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 05:03

I love the moment at 48:45 when the tense atmosphere suddenly changes to a calm and pleasant one. But anyway, Lion, Didlybom, Intro Waltz and all the Africa parts are my favourite ones.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2006, 17:13

My fave part is the last minute of the piece. Somehow it makes the previous 59 minutes all slot into place. It is so rewarding as a listener to get to that final climax because you feel like you have finally come home. It is phenomenally uplifting. I simply do not know how any human being can create music of such overwhelming beauty!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2006, 21:15

I like the toothbrush part and the sitar guitar part the best because they're the more peaceful parts. I don't like how the toothbrush part ends though; I'm all relaxed and then there's this glass breaking and I get all spooked up. I'm still trying to get used to all the darkness and abruptness of some parts.   :/ There are a lot of good parts, but I just don't like how they're put together or something.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 21:39

I know the most annoying parts are the head scratching bit, and the water pouring. They are just recorded so clearly, it is grinding on my nerves when I hear them :P
Profile PM WEB 
Hoot Offline

Posted: June 19 2006, 16:43

my favorite part goes from the first minute to the last...roughly! :D

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 19 2006, 17:00

The best part's are the cover and sleave note's.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 12:13

Quote (Hoot @ June 19 2006, 16:43)
my favorite part goes from the first minute to the last...roughly! :D

Yeah I'd second that. I was listening to it this week on holiday, I hadn't heard it in a while, and it's one of the few pieces of music i've ever heard that I just couldn't ever consider getting bored of. The fist time I heard it it blew me away like no other album has and each time i hear it, which is a lot in the last 16 years, I keep discovering hidden bits it that I hadn't considered in a similar way before, its just superbly constructed with layer upon layer apon layer of fantastic atmosphere, character and changing musical energy.
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: July 31 2006, 09:06

Yes, it's amazing how it never stops to surprise you! I recently discovered an amazing piano piece in the cusp of hearing, which I've never noticed before! Between 25:00 and 25:05! There is so much else going on there, so it's really hard to hear it! Brilliant though! :-)

Hm... hard to pick a favourite part. I get goose bumps every second minute or so ;-)
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2006, 17:16

Ive got 13 words to describe my fav bit...

so fa soo faaa sooo faa sooo-... faa soo faa soo faaa sooo..

duno what minutes exactly that is, but its the excerpt from elements...

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 15:03

At the moment, my favorite is the "fa fa" - "Hmm" - *climax* part around 5:40.

But I've been having little 'OMG! That's awesome' reactions to all sorts of things throughout the album. Like the organ & guitar bit that starts at 9:30, the drinking/sighing/sitar, the bit with the echo-y sounding guitar (or maybe it's two guitars?), the flamenco sounds, and many contrapuntal segments like "Sondela"/"Torn" (?).

So... yeah, I'm kinda getting into it.  :D

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
htowninsomniac Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2007, 03:09

Quote (Rileman @ Jan. 16 2005, 15:19)
Which part/parts of Amarok is your favourite?

"12 Climax" and all of "Climax I" (49:33-51:01). After that, Amarok remains at a pleasurable plateau until "Africa III"... where it gets jarringly quirky ;)
Profile PM 
28 replies since Jan. 16 2005, 16:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net