Nuclear 5  [8.47%]
Chariots 5  [8.47%]
Following the Angels 1  [1.69%]
Irene 1  [1.69%]
I Give Myself Away 1  [1.69%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your favourite MOTR track, What's your favourite track on CD1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Platinumpty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 05 2014, 04:57

It had to be done.  I think this could prove an interesting one.  To avoid complication, I've ommitted the instrumentals, demos and live acoustic versions.
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 05 2014, 05:50

Ha! You beat me to this by 50 minutes, I just logged in to start up the same topic :laugh:

"Man on the Rocks" is the choice for me after lots of listens to the album over the past couple of days. I wasn't particularly impressed with it on first hearing (youtube video) but it sure has grown on me. Third verse when the production ramps up a notch or ten really gets my spine tingling. Outstanding track for me.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2014, 11:08

It is not so easy,as I can't decide between Moonshine, Man On The Rocks & Dreaming in The Wind, followed by Castaway and Chariots :-)
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 05 2014, 14:46

1. Man On The Rocks. They managed to keep Spiller's voice under control at the beginning, he sounds nice there. Then, it would be one of my favorite tracks of all time with a screaming guitar instead of a screaming Spiller at the end.

2. Chariots Instrumental (the instruments play the melody :)). Reminds me playing in a band, but this is so professionally done. Awesome sounds from the 1st second to the last. (Me trying to come up with kind of similar roaring filling sounds: http://youtube.com/watch?a=a&v=SRiKpkvR4Ak)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2014, 14:15

Castaway as the instrumental version in the first place. Totally fenomenal track. Instrumental mix is IMHO far better then the vocal version, because the background riff is louder and higher making together with the solo a more powerfull mixture :) Love the 2:20, when the riff suddenly begins and continues further during the whole solo section. Love it!

As i rather like the instrumental version of the album, this is also the best track as the vocal version. I like this screamings from the depths during the solo - it really creating awesome mood. So fresh. This is also most hard rock song on the album, i think.

Other songs i like are: Minutes, Man On The Rocks, Following The Angels, Chariots and I Give Myself Away (really like this emotional vocals by Mike on CD3).

Overall i really, really like new album as the whole. I think this is very good come back after years.
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2014, 14:25

1: Castaway Instrumental

2: Chariots Instrumental

3=: Moonshine Instrumental & Man On The Rocks Instrumental

IMO the Instrumental versions of MOTR in general are much, much better than the Vocal versions :)
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2014, 20:49

Man on the Rocks  :cool:
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 16:16

Quote (scienceguy @ Mar. 06 2014, 14:25)
1: Castaway Instrumental

2: Chariots Instrumental

3=: Moonshine Instrumental & Man On The Rocks Instrumental

IMO the Instrumental versions of MOTR in general are much, much better than the Vocal versions :)

Glad for you they included them!
I like the vocals perfectly. But it's so nice he makes available different versions ;)

I like 'Nuclear'
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2014, 11:39

Initially I gravitated towards "Moonshine" as being my favorite, but after more listens to the album, I actually love the first 6 tracks almost equally as well.  The second half of the album, not as much.

After reading others' reviews in here and listening to the album, I also agree that there should have been more of a variety of artists singing, including at least a female voice and maybe a male voice with less of that "screaming" Spiller does, that seems to ruin good songs like "Man on the Rocks" at the end.

Wonder why he didn't bring back some other vocals instead of sticking with this one guy the whole entire album, which to me gets old.

Those of us going through some tumultuous times in our lives definitely can appreciate this well.  I'm happy to have this, but hopefully Mike will take our input into account for his next work, or go back to mainly instrumental with occasional "poppy" tracks featuring the vocals we know and love.
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2014, 04:41

At first I thought I would choose the, in  my ears, obviously most catchy tune, Moonshine, but after several listenings I find Castaway being the far most growing and developing track - mainly because of the wonderful solo ending the second half of the song. This solo is taking the song to a higher level and is almost the only spot where I can "feel" Oldfield on the entire album, which I consider rather weak in general.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2014, 05:40

Moonshine is outstanding :) I didn't think Mike could top Moonlight Shadow but he may just have done that with Moonshine, what is it with Mike and moons anyway? :p
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: April 01 2014, 18:36

I voted Nuclear based on 3 listens. That could change in the future.

I was hesitating for Sailing, because, for now, I can't stop listening to this song. Totally good, an instant classic! My theme song for this spring!

But I know that it's a song that we like totally on firsts listens but tend to be less deep in substance later so I voted for the song I think is in between (Nuclear): I like it now, and know will love it even more later probably surpassing Sailing.

Second great song for later: Man on the Rocks.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 13 2014, 22:27

It's a toss-up for me between Castaway, Chariots, and Following the Angels. All the tracks are fantastic, though. I'm pleasantly surprised to have found myself liking almost the entire album universally. Great job, Mike!

I've gotta say I was surprised to see a cover of I Give Myself Away on there. Anybody know the story behind that? The lyrics are changed slightly...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: April 27 2014, 14:13

My decision after countless listenings:

Moonshine..... definitely.  :)

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: April 28 2014, 13:29

Nah I change it to chariots. Far above the rest
Profile PM 
MadTheDJ Offline

Posted: May 01 2014, 10:03

At the moment, I'd say it's between "Irene," "Moonshine" and "Man On The Rocks."

--------------
Buy The Mike Oldfield Chronology book at: http://tinyurl.com/klyfvuc
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2014, 10:21

Now that I've given it another spin I can say it's definitely Nuclear. That's just like me, too, picking the dark, heavy song with the angsty, over-the-top lyrics; but I can't help it, it's the definite highlight for me.

Other faves are the title track (very beautiful, also probably the best lyrics on the album), Dreaming in the Wind with its cool Chris Isaak vibe, and Chariots with its uplifting chorus.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2014, 10:28

Quote (TubularUSA @ Mar. 26 2014, 17:39)
After reading others' reviews in here and listening to the album, I also agree that there should have been more of a variety of artists singing, including at least a female voice and maybe a male voice with less of that "screaming" Spiller does, that seems to ruin good songs like "Man on the Rocks" at the end.

Wonder why he didn't bring back some other vocals instead of sticking with this one guy the whole entire album, which to me gets old.

Honestly can't agree with this, I think his voice works very well throughout the album, and he really can pull off those screams, which don't ruin anything for me... I mean it's a rock'n'roll album! (Mostly, anyway.)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2014, 11:53

I was watching Gardener's World  (of all things!  ) on the BBC yesterday evening and instantly recognised Man on the Rocks - the instrumental - at around 22:14 into the programme.  It was so nice to hear just a few bars and to feel like I knew it so well.  

As the months have gone by, I have not played the album so much. Now, as happens with Mike's music, one unexpected hearing re-ignites the desire to hear more...and it will be little else for a while! Decades of good music!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 04 2014, 12:59

I have been re-listening to the album recently. Generally my views haven't changed though I might put Dreaming in the wind top now ahead of Man on the rocks which is what I voted for at the start of this topic.

Dreaming....

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
48 replies since Mar. 05 2014, 04:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net