Nuclear 5  [8.47%]
Chariots 5  [8.47%]
Following the Angels 1  [1.69%]
Irene 1  [1.69%]
I Give Myself Away 1  [1.69%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Your favourite MOTR track, What's your favourite track on CD1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Covenant Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 07 2014, 05:00

I think I now play the demo disc more than the 'final' album...

Mike's voice may not be as polished, but it's more..... 'honest'...
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2015, 15:16

Quote (Drealm @ April 01 2014, 18:36)
I voted Nuclear based on 3 listens. That could change in the future.

I was hesitating for Sailing, because, for now, I can't stop listening to this song. Totally good, an instant classic! My theme song for this spring!

But I know that it's a song that we like totally on firsts listens but tend to be less deep in substance later so I voted for the song I think is in between (Nuclear): I like it now, and know will love it even more later probably surpassing Sailing.

Second great song for later: Man on the Rocks.

After some more listens, my favorite is Man on the Rocks. And that won't change.

I was in a good mood once listening intensely to this album and seriously, Man on the Rocks made me cry. I did not live this in a long time. By crying, I don't mean this big crying scene, but intense emotion that brought some tears. Some movies can do that, but for music alone it's very rare.

Once again, I can't help but think that Mike is not finished giving me goosebumps. Of course, the rest of the album is pretty good, and as some suggested, I think that this album is in fact Earth Moving 2; it's at least the closest album to EM that Mike did. And I liked EM, so this album is just totally welcome.
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: July 20 2015, 03:05

Although I voted for Castaway, I'm surprised Sailing didn't get more votes. Would definitely be in my top 3. Moonshine is wonderful and I may have voted for it except for the few occasions of lyric jamming (not a criticism just personal preference).

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
Falc04 Offline

Posted: April 09 2016, 11:01

Castaway has that old school mike oldfield feel to it, so that one gets my vote
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 25 2016, 20:24

The only thing that's changed in my opinion is that Castaway is definitely my favourite track on the album. Such a raw visceral 3 minute guitar solo! Proves Mike's still "got it" and will never lose it! What an amazing song. Still listening, still great!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2016, 02:56

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Sep. 25 2016, 20:24)
Such a raw visceral 3 minute guitar solo! Proves Mike's still "got it" and will never lose it!

Meh... it's not exactly the Discovery solo or anything.

I don't mind the instrumental version of Castaway though I suppose...  In a pinch. :D  Same goes for instrumental Dreaming in the Wind. A different approach to the vocal and a more appropriate singer could've gotten that one close to the venerable Mike Oldfield sound.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 10 2016, 10:47

I LOVE "Dreaming in the Wind"--the concept, the rhythm, the lyrics--everything. It's pretty-much always been my favorite, though "Man on the Rocks" is right up there, too. I do like the "Castaway" vibe--especially  3.40 onward--it really does feel happily visceral. "Nuclear" and "Chariots" take me to a negative place where I don't want to be, though not as much as "Irene," which I cannot listen to for personal reasons. Sad when music gets tangled with traumatic events. "Sailing" is happy and cheery. It is a nice solid song, just not my cup of tea as much as the other ones mentioned.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2017, 03:15

Favourite track? "Sailing" and "Moonshine" have immediate appeal for me. I don't know whether this has been mentioned but the album has almost a "light" and "shade" division, with the first half light, soaring, and full of the sound of wind, whereas the second is, well, dark (yes, I know "I Give Myself Away" isn't like that). When I first read about the album, and didn't know it was an album of songs, I assumed that "Castaway" would be an instrumental perhaps based on Arthur Clarke's story of the name (in the tradition of TSODE). But perhaps I've been watching too much Star Trek Voyager (those who've seen the opening sequence will know what I mean!;)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2017, 21:21

I played this album over and over on my recent trip to Norfolk Island, and I know I'm always going to associate the two, which is great. I've now decided - my favourite track is 'Minutes', a terrific song, and I hope Mike releases a video to honour it!
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 08 2021, 17:54

nuclear

bc it so perfectly captured the chaos that the world now is reaping.

thing is, one can listen to M.O. for different reasons and come away with wildly diverging views based on these reasons. there's the wild man, the introspective man, the lonely man and the screw-you-rb-assemblage. better than johnny one-note, yes?
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: April 22 2021, 15:30

I voted for Dreaming In The Wind as my favourite track. Beautiful rhythm and melody. Love the guitar on this.
The title track is also excellent, along with Castaway and Nuclear.

The last three tracks on the album are my least favourite, but the rest are all terrific. I like how he's being a bit more straightforward in the lyrics. It sounds like they're really personal and he's given them much thought.
I was very pleased when this album came out. And then a few years later things got even better with RTOmmadawn.

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 23 2021, 11:41

piltdownboy - re the personal lyrics - especially so in the title track. makes me think of the song of the lonely turtle
Profile PM 

Posted: April 24 2021, 13:21

Quote (bluemlein @ April 23 2021, 11:41)
piltdownboy - re the personal lyrics - especially so in the title track. makes me think of the song of the lonely turtle

Hello Bluemlein. Agree about the title track.
But I've seared Youtube... but I can't find the song of the lonely turtle.
Which one do you mean?
Hahah, I did find a song about Lonesome George...  :laugh:  

Greetings Piltdownman 38  (why on earth did I choose this weird nickname 16 years ago hahaha )

--------------
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 24 2021, 13:49

the song of the lonely turtle - something i just made up - thought i had read it in a victorian children's book but as i have searched fruitlessly everywhere - not finding it - i must claim it as my own.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 24 2021, 17:43

Jee, wow, then that's a great title for a song!

It's a nice title, so, being the lyricst of my band, I just can't help it...

slowly I move through water
gliding through the restless sea
the song of the lonely turtle
a song about someone like me

:cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 24 2021, 23:43

my heart is hurting
my soul is sore
if you don't take me in
i'll be no more

over to you
Profile PM 

Posted: April 26 2021, 00:39

But who's that, standing by the shore
There's a man on the rocks, waving at me
I'll ask him if he'll be my friend
Nevermore will I be lonely

(haha, hoping we're not being thrown out for being off-topic)  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 28 2021, 15:21

ok piltdownboy

but will he want a turtle,
an old crone, so alone, for so long,
who needs gold when there is friendship -
i'll take the rainbow, and another song

my aunts all were turned into sou-oup
when i leave my species is gone
wash my footprint from the sand
i'll be a mem'ry, i'll be a dragon
Profile PM 

Posted: April 29 2021, 03:28

Hey Bluemlein,

That's very nice!
I bet it could be a hit.

Cool thing about writing in this thread is that I've been listening to Man on the Rocks non-stop in the car this week. Such a great album.

--------------
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 29 2021, 11:44

happy to hear this, piltdownboy. i debated for one nanosecond whether to leave in the ref. to the aunts. but - i'm old and in another millennium when i knew no better i was guilty of sipping a cuplet of such soup.

when do we get to hear the music? and will it be in angry-mike style or regretful-mike? perhaps with just a few happy notes at the end?

b
Profile PM 
48 replies since Mar. 05 2014, 04:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net