Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: www.mikeoldfield-tubularbells.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gregrobson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 17 2003, 06:29

Yes, I know what you mean, it did ring out a bit more. But then I think a lot of people will have problems 'adjusting' as we've all listened to the original so much ;)

It might take time to adjust to the new version - which we must remember is what MO was trying to create in the first place :)
Profile PM 
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: April 17 2003, 06:56

to be honest, i think its impossible for MO to create what he wanted in the first place as his sound has changed so much over the years, especially with all the new technology that he's become used to,

i wonder if it'll sound like all TB1, TB2, and TB3 mixed together?
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 17 2003, 08:38

The quad mix of TB included in 'Boxed' gave the bass more prominance in the mix of the introduction. I do have a slightly horrible feeling that if he's used a synth bass sound on that intro then god only knows what he's done to the lovely organ sounds used on part 1, is it going to be TB2 all over again?

We all know fine well what Mike wants changes almost continuously, I don't even begin to understand this argument that's going about that say's 'this is what Mike originaly intended it to sound like'. Fair enough he wanted it in time and in tune but as far as changing what the actual instruments sound like (which it looks likely has happened) I don't accept it as a valid argument for defending bad decision making on his part. The Mike Oldfield of 1973 never wanted a synth bass (or could have imagined one). It sounds to me like Mike's been farting about on Protools or what ever he uses just for the sake of it. We'll have to see what the whole thing sounds like though. I would find it curious, and a bit upsetting, if Mike's attitude is now one of 'it's 2003 therefore I have to use synthetic textures on everything because I have to make it sound hip a cool for the new generation', who aren't that interested anyway. It's the same problem thats blighted a lot of his recent stuff, I just kind of presumed he was going back to basics with this re-recording.

Anyway there's only so far I want to go with this argument untill I hear the thing, for all I know the rest of the album could be superb in every detail.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 18 2003, 01:46

TOBY

I do agree with you on your points about synthetic instruments and the impression he has given us - that it needs to be up-to-date sounding to attract a new generation - and maybe that is really more or less his intention with, for instance, the bass sound at the introduction.  I am not sure if I like the new bass line or not.  It is played on an actual guitar... the inflections are not that of keyboard.  Atleast with TB2 it sounded realistic NOT computerized!  This is the repeated problem that has plaigued new age-ish instrumental music since the early 90's.  To much keyboard and not enough realism!  

True Mike has used computers since the very beginning, but now-a-days music has become so omputerized in the studio - making it impossible to play LIVE.  I would be very disappointed if Mike used that synth bass line through the whole bloody album... infact it might just ruin it as far as I am concerned!  I can't see 'The Bell' opening with that ruddy synth and not sounding like a cheese-box!  

I played the two versions of 'Introduction' for my mum recently and she liked the dance version better - which I was shocked by!!  She said that there is something about the synth bass that doesn't sound natural or right.  This was a reaction I didn't see coming.

I like the bass synth for the opening - but god help us if it used through the whole damn thing and he pulls another fucking Tres Lunas - let's use and reuse the same bass line and synth sound through the whole bloody album - again!!!!!  At that point I'll press stop and shelve it and Mike for the rest of my life being completely disgusted and fed-up with laziness!!  He is too brilliant to waste his talent on these computers and yes TOBY I agree, fucking protools!!!! ;)

Christopher
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: April 18 2003, 03:34

Hi
The hiden sample I wonder if that's going to be a radio promotion single???????
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 18 2003, 07:14

One point I want to make:
A lot of people have been wondering whether the synth bass will be going on throughout the entire album. On the Echoes radio interview, excerpts of the album were played. These were, from the tracklisting of the new site, of 'Fast Guitars' and 'Blues' (I think). I'm 90 percent sure I have mp3s of them on my site. They will be very low quality, but I just would like to see all of your reactions to them. Here they are:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/punkadiddle/Echoes_Sample1.mp3

http://users.bigpond.net.au/punkadiddle/Echoes_Sample2.mp3

If there are any problems with the links I will be happy to E-Mail them to you.

From what I can tell from the very low quality sound there is no synth-bass, at least it is not the sound that so many of you find horrible. I'm undecided about the bass sound: only hearing a few seconds of it is not enough to make a proper judgement. Please, listen to the other samples, and say what you think.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: April 18 2003, 14:44

i wonder what would happen if all three of the Oldfield siblings got together and made an album, each contributing equally?

that would more exciting than TB 8 wouldn't it?  :)
merlin2k1 Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 19:32

I think the seperate titles are a must these days, when TB came out in 1973 we didn't have cd's, we had lp's (for those who can remember them the big black vinyl disks that we played on a turntable...) Lp's didn't need tracks on a "concept" album.  Also, we really didn't need for the orginal TB to be broken down in 3 tracks, it could have been one continuous cd but there it is.  With the seperate tracks on the new one we can skip to a favorite passage on the cd and not have to ffwd or rev to find it. ;)

--------------
Bruce
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 19:43

about that bass synth... it's a tiny sample, i still don't dare to make a judgement, but i don't like it, it sounds less deep... less shaped than the original... don't know how to explain.
the piano sounds good, very clean.

raven4x4x, i've tried the links and they don't work...

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 20:14

Sorry about the links everyone: I can't seem to get them to work very well. If you use the E-Mail function of the forums you can ask me for them and I will E-Mail the samples to you. I'll try to get the links working soon, if I can.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 21:30

BLUE DOLPHIN

I was riding in my car yesterday and it hit me... the reason the difference in length is do to speed not elimination.  Take a sample of the original 73 and the sample from 2003 and listen -2003 is a bit faster - so naturally the new will be a bit shorter.  Just my theory.  

Christopher

PS I think Mike did say something about wanting strings on the original in 73.  One can only hope that he has added strings to this re-recording as I love strings! :)  Also, I do VERY MUCH HOPE that he used the BELL sample from TB2 for the BELL on this version - love the sound they give off!!!! :)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 21:33

I also was riding my car yesterday... and today and... ;) ;)

But you may possibly be very right!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 21:49

Quote (christopher @ April 20 2003, 20:30)
Take a sample of the original 73 and the sample from 2003 and listen -2003 is a bit faster - so naturally the new will be a bit shorter.  Just my theory.  

Actually, i think if you add up the 11 tracks that make up the new Tubular Bells 2003 , i think it's right around the time of the 73 sample. Keep in mind too, that the original might say 25 minutes for part one, but it's really about 25:30. part 2 is really close to the original 1973 time as well.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 21 2003, 11:36

About the guitar samples,I´m not sure if Mike did use the original Fender Telecaster he played on the '73 version,or one of his Paul Reed Smith guitars...it sounds quite different from the original...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tek_uk
Unregistered

Posted: April 21 2003, 12:03

Quote (Guest @ April 11 2003, 12:30)
:(  WHAT IS THIS?????!!!!!

This synth bass sound??? It is horrible, and a B series films sound. A lot of reverb..... I think that Mike is out of his mind from a long time ago...... I was happy with this project because the excerpts of Echoes interview, but now..... Mike... go home.

I must agree with you. It's not a real bass (as opposed to the original) and sounds very techno-ish!
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 21 2003, 12:26

Am i the only one who doesn't mind the synth bass? Sure it would be great to hear a deeper bass like in the original, but the synth one sounds to me just fine. Perhaps its because i like trance/techno music so much, and am used to that sound. oh well.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 21 2003, 12:34

The telecaster has a very aggressive, biting sound, which is still present in some of those distorted parts - the difference in sound is down to how it's recorded (the overdrive he gets from his modern guitar effects processors is of course a very different one to that got by overdriving the input of a Teac tape deck, which is how the original was done).
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 21 2003, 13:12

You're not alone tubularbills!

I don't mind the bass sound either. Don't judge a piece of long music only of its bass sound. Actually, I first thought it was a real bass sound.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 21 2003, 14:27

I think the main reason I dislike the bass sound is that it just seems distracting in an odd way, and also it sounds like Mike's trying to sound modern and trendy again just for the shear sake of it. One of the joy's of TB, indeed a joy of a lot of Mike's music, is that it's a great celebration of acoustic and electro-acoustic instrumentation working in incredible harmony, TB, Amarok and Ommadawn in particular represent Mike at the height of his powers in this respect. Putting modern synths, which may well have their place on other albums, on TB just seems to go against the grain of one of the reasons of why it's successfull in the first place, it's strange it's creator seems to be apparently unaware of this. I'm worried this album will just sound more like a re-recording of TB2 than of TB, indeed a friend of mine listened to that excerpt from the website and told me it reminded him more of TB2 than it did of TB, obviously not in the way the music goes but with the sounds being used.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 21 2003, 20:57

a friend of mine listened to that excerpt from the website and told me it reminded him more of TB2 than it did of TB, obviously not in the way the music goes but with the sounds being used.

Well, wasn't TB2 an early attempt to 're-do' TB? He couldn't do it to TB itself then because of the contract thing and therefore created new music. But now that he can he will do it to the original TB itself?

I actually like TB2 better than the rest anyway, so if this new recording is gonna be more like TB2, then maybe ill have more of an appreciation for TB1.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
133 replies since April 11 2003, 07:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net