Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: www.mikeoldfield-tubularbells.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 21 2003, 21:03

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ April 21 2003, 23:57)
a friend of mine listened to that excerpt from the website and told me it reminded him more of TB2 than it did of TB, obviously not in the way the music goes but with the sounds being used.

I had the same feeling when I first heard the first sample,like TB2003 got the same booster from TBII.
And I see there´s happiness in the sound,if you compare to the original version...

Can´t wait to hear the whole thing!!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 01:17

TATI and MUSICALLY INSPIRED

I agree totally!!  There is definetely a more happy sound coming out of just a sample of TB2003.  TB2 is still by far my fav Bell album - full of happy movements.  TB2 is the happy Bell - where as I see the original being the rough Bell - and TB3 being the club Bell. TB2003 will be as I can see from the first sample... a happy version of the angry original - and that is something I'm very interested in!  As Tati and MI said... if it's more like TB2 than bring it on baby!!!! :)

Christopher
Profile PM 
gregrobson Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 03:22

Quote (christopher @ April 22 2003, 06:17)
TATI and MUSICALLY INSPIRED

I agree totally!!  There is definetely a more happy sound coming out of just a sample of TB2003.  TB2 is still by far my fav Bell album - full of happy movements.  TB2 is the happy Bell - where as I see the original being the rough Bell - and TB3 being the club Bell. TB2003 will be as I can see from the first sample... a happy version of the angry original - and that is something I'm very interested in!  As Tati and MI said... if it's more like TB2 than bring it on baby!!!! :)

Christopher

I agree completely, if I put TB2 on I have to listen through to the end. I like it above TB1 because it sounds 'rough'. Perhaps this will change my mind :)
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 06:47

The TB2K3 samples from raven4x4x are now here:

http://qisgod.host.sk/tb/Echoes_sample_1.mp3
http://qisgod.host.sk/tb/Echoes_sample_2.mp3

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 06:50

Has anyone considered that sample2 may not be a dance remix, but in fact a 2nd sample from the new recording?
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 22 2003, 08:07

Doubt it......I hope not....He said he wanted it close to the original. I think it's the single.....I hope it's the single. I can't see how that would fit in anyway....would it all the sudden start going rave-ish when it's playing a soft piano tune at the beginning?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: April 22 2003, 10:21

you know how you listen to some of Mike's live performances, and the sounds used for the songs can sound very different from the recorded versions (ie in the case of his early 80s/late 70s concerts and the keyboard sounds used)?

i think i'm prolly gonna have to pretend the new TB2003 is live, so i don't notice the differences in the way the guitar parts are played etc,  :)
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 12:41

I'm not adding anything more to this debate untill I hear the whole thing. I do hope it does turnout to be a straight forward re-recording and not an artistic rehash in terms of mood/style, etc. Mike's on thin enough ice already in terms of artistic credibility without making it worse for himself. I do sincerely hope it sounds good.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 13:01

The second sample(and hidden) from the new TB2003 seems that the Introduction has been restrcutured like Sentinel to be released as a single...and I enjoyed it...more coincidences between TB II and the original TB(and now the re-recording).

And it seems to me that the single Introduction is going to be released soon,since we have just almost a month before the album´s launch...remember To Be Free from TL,it was released in the end of April,as far I can rememeber...

And also news regarding the launch party,maybe premiere concert(do hope so!;)...

Fingers really really crossed!!!!!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: April 22 2003, 16:09

Premiere concert? that's a laugh   :p
Melomaniac
Unregistered

Posted: April 22 2003, 17:01

As I´ve said a lot of times, I´m against any kind of Tb records except for the original one.Anyway, since we have got another one coming soon, I only hope it doesn´t resemble TbII at all, which in my opinion is only a susccessful attempt to place Mike in the musical universe in market terms. The matter IMHO is that, if Mike has made only a re-recording of the original with the new avalaible technology,it would be considered (specially by media) as the "nth" attempt to get money from his classical which is very bad for his credibility as a serious artist. On the other hand, if Mike has tried to add some artistic work to the original, it might be considered as TbIV or something like, which would be even worse for his credibility (me included). I think it should be sell only as a 30th annyversary  re-recorded edition (clearly written on the cover), this is, maybe, the only way for justifying another TB, since that´s something very usual in the market today.
For me, the ideal thing would be to have a Mike composing real new good music, without commercial concessions, but surely it wouldn´t sell ( lets remember Amarok),ah!, and don´t go deceiving ourselves, Mike doesn´t do whatever he likes. he, his record company or both of them want to sell records.
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 17:14

Sorry for my English, after having read my last post I discovered some mistakes.
Does anybody Know why I have to log in again whenever I post a message after a while without having done it?
Greetings from Spain.
Profile PM 
Dave
Unregistered

Posted: April 23 2003, 05:28

I listened to the introduction excerpt again. IMHO that bass sound is too awful for words.

Please - don't put the album out with that vibrato/ modulation sound effect on the bass. :( Delay the album - re-record it if necessary - but respect the bass. You can't build on poor foundations.
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 06:08

WHAT THE HELL IS ALL OF THIS FUSS ABOUT??? SYNTH OR NOT, IT'S JUST A BASS. AND IMHO IT'S THE LESS IMPORTANT THING IN THE NEW RECORDING. :( :( :(

Blue Dolphin: as you can see, I perfectly agree with you. :)

Olivier: Please don't kick me out. ;)

Edited by Ugo on April 23 2003, 06:09

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 06:32

Well, I'm not sure about the bass, but to be fair to Mike we only hear about 10 seconds of it. I'll need to wait until I hear the actual album before I make a judgement. I don't feel that it is that bad, and even though it may be a synth, I can certainly think of more unnatural sounds, that are even less like a real bass guitar. At least the bass is played with feeling here: I certainly feel that it is played with the MIDI guitar pickup, and not with a keyboard or computer.

For me, the most important thing about the project will be the guitar sounds. The sample does not have any guitar, but Q! has put the Echoes samples onto his site, and they do have guitar in them, and I think they sound quite good. Please, listen to them, and post any comments you have here. I don't mind if people don't like the intro sample, but you can't judge the whole album if you haven't heard all the samples. Please, listen to the samples, and tell us how you find them. And no, they don't have any synth bass, incase you were worried.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 23 2003, 08:26

The most important thing to the listener is the bit the listener notices the most...
The decision made with that mix has been to place the bass right in the foreground, which has made it central to the whole sound and, as a consequence, if someone doesn't like the bass, they're not going to like the whole thing.

Bass as such isn't the most important thing to the album as a whole - no single instrument is, if you ask me. What is important is how they work together, and the way that each one affects the album as a whole.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 09:01

Ugo for me the amazing subtle interplay between the piano riff and the bass line on the intro of TB is one of Mike's highest points of Genius, in the whole of his career. To hear it sound so horribly contrived and lacking in subtlty as this is, for me, a real abomination of an undescribably brilliant piece of music. And I thought Mike wasn't going to mess with the mood of it! Oh well, it's his artistic coffin I suppose.
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: April 23 2003, 10:40

The bass does seem to have the feel of something that was performed on a midi equipped guitar, and not a keyboard.  But it is not easy to judge the sound of the final mix until you hear the CD, and in its true stereo field.  Don't forget that mp3s are horrible; they remove high end, and narrow the stereo image, which can make them not sound like the CD at all in some cases.  It's a tough call, but sometimes fake drums bother me lots more than other fake instruments.
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 11:38

Thanks Ugo :)

And since when are you a sanatic member??? ;)

Do we except to see more samples coming of TB2003?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
tek_uk
Unregistered

Posted: April 23 2003, 16:07

strangely enough, the sample that was posted on mikeoldfield-tubularbells.com seems to have disappeared!!! was he upset by all the comments about the bass sound? a bit touchy maybe ;-)
133 replies since April 11 2003, 07:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net