[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: www.mikeoldfield-tubularbells.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Unregistered

Posted: April 11 2003, 16:31

MIKE OLDFIELD IS DA BOMB
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 11 2003, 16:32

I think he's made only some tracks for the 5.1 DVD so that the director of the new "Excorsist" movie can use it. ;)

By the way, where can you find that sample? A hidden link, or just someone who found it will browsing on the FTP site? ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
alexander.schweigert Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 17:09

Quote (Tieò_mesaèného_svitu @ April 11 2003, 16:31)
No, Holger, I don't like it. I LOVE IT!
I can't wait for it any longer! Why does time go so slowly... 45 endless days!

yes! my coming out: ;-)

i love it....

i am not gay, i am not bi....
I love this fucking greeaaat music!!!!!!
wonderful, crazy , perfect!

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: April 11 2003, 17:16

okay, the samples sound quite nice,

only its gonna be a bit awkward having a 'dance' version of the introduction when its such an unusual time signature isn't it?  just think its a bit unnecessary

the divided tracks idea that he's used on his TB2 album before is gonna be very handy,

[ no Timshen, i don't think there's supposed to be any more,
they like to keep us eager and impatient for more : ) ]
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 17:37

Quote (TOBY @ April 11 2003, 14:22)
I mean whats 'Russian' got to do with anything?????????????

Mike has been wanting to use the title "Russian" for a 'movement' in a piece since quite a long time, and a 'movement' in Amarok was actually called "Russian", even if only in Mike's papers. :) Plus, I seem to recall that the original title for "Red Dawn" was something like "Russian Winter"... or was it the first title for its corresponding 'movement' in TBIII, i.e. "The Inner Child" ? Maybe Richard C. knows more... :)

P.S. Sorry, Toby, but the supposedly 'synth' bass doesn't sound synthy at all to my (cloth?) ears. It just sounds like a heavily picked electric bass guitar. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: April 11 2003, 17:37

sample1.mp3 is FANTASTIC. rhythmic TB . there is no match to this stuff now, no way. the old TB piano seems Honky-tonk bollocks compared to this one. and listen to those subtly rhythmic "triangle-like" effects interwoven with the piano. that is genius. gorgeous reverb. AND THE BASSLINE, holy shit, that is a godsend!!! DA BOMB ! ! !  delicious, words cannot define.

sample2.mp3 is not so good, though

the arrangement from sample2.mp3 seems the kind of preset stuff that you could find on a cheap trance synth-keyboard.
the sweeps , the drums , the general thing is kinda lame...
hope that is a test.
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 19:59

Wonderful... I love the new bass sound, played very expressive and cutting through the arrangement like a knife... can't wait to hear what other gems it will bring. The mc section should be especially interesting in comparison to the original.
Profile PM 
Toby (not logged on)
Unregistered

Posted: April 11 2003, 20:49

To be fair I'll wait till I hear the rest before I pass judgement. To my ears it does sound like a software synth patch but I didn't get a really good listen earlier on, I do hope we're not going down the TB2 road again.

Yeah I know he wanted to call 'Red Dawn' on TB2 'Russian' but that doesn't excuse anything I hate the idea of titled sections, even if they had halfway decent titles (which these ain't) I still wouldn't be sold.

I'm still trying to be cautiously optimistic about the whole thing.
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 11 2003, 21:23

Sorry chaps but I really hate that bass.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 12 2003, 00:59

The russian thing does crop up every now and then - I have a feeling I've seen Red Dawn just called 'Russian' , perhaps Russian Winter. The Inner Child is supposedly inspired by Prague in the winter, which isn't a million miles away.

The bass is, as far as I'm aware, a software synthesiser played from a guitar (it reminds me a little of the bass on Steve Hillage's 'Unidentified', which was done in a similar way, albeit in the days of analogue synthesisers and Pitch to Voltage convertors...). Mike sees the future in virtual synthesisers, and he's probably right to...but like the Fairlight CMI, they have to be used with care, otherwise things can end up sounding gimmicky and dating rather quickly.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 02:52

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 12 2003, 00:59)
The russian thing does crop up every now and then - I have a feeling I've seen Red Dawn just called 'Russian' , perhaps Russian Winter. The Inner Child is supposedly inspired by Prague in the winter, which isn't a million miles away.

I think I can shed some light on that. In an interview on the Steve Wright Show, 24.08.92, where obviously he talks about the TBII concert, he says, "This is a bit where the opera singer will be up on the battlements; it's a bit called 'Russian'", and then proceeds to play Red Dawn.
Profile PM 
fizzicato
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 07:26

:( THIS IS NOT A RE_RECORDING

This is a shit of cover. Im agree that the bass sound will be from a synth but this is not the original TB spirit. Mike was a great bass player. I Think tha he can´t play the bass now. I can´t imagine the end of part one wit this great bass riff with a synth. THIS IS NOT A RE_RECORDING!!!!
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 15:08

From the press page:
Tubular Bells 2003 includes a DVD featuring three passages of this piece, mixed using Dolby Digital 5.1 system, as well as the videoclip of the first single which is a Radio Edit of Introduction excerpt.

Along with the album, Warner Music will launch for the first time a luxury box set including the whole trilogy "The Complete Tubular Bells Collection": "Tubular Bells 2003", "Tubular Bells II" and Tubular Bells III".

So, the DVD will apparently come already with the TB2003 album (so I don't have to buy the other bells again with the box..).
For the DVD itself, looks like it's going to be the first 3" DVD ever made ;) - in other words, having seen bonus DVDs of a few movies, there would have been potential for much more, especially considering the anniversary.
The intro sample sounds promising, though there's some high-pitched flirring sound that's annoying me, and I guess I'll have to get used to that new bass sound.
Profile PM WEB 
Duncan Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 15:22

I would presume that there will be a DVD Audio disc containing a 24 bit 96khz 5.1 and stereo mixes and a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix to allow playback on non DVD Audio capable players.

I'm surprised to see no mention of it coming out with the CD but maybe this is because they all want us to buy the CD initially and then make a second sale when the DVDA is released.

It would be nice to think that if it does well, Warners would fund DVD Audio releases of their entire Oldfield catalogue.  Certainly Mikes albums lend themselves to multi channel mixes, and (in a dream world) Virgin might even dust off the quad mixes of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn.

Was there ever a Quad mix of Incantations??
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2003, 15:44

So you're all serious in saying you like it?

Yes we all love it! Those of you that don't, go back and suck your thumbs and listen to the old one. You can think that Mike is losing his touch and maybe that everyone is getting deceived about actually liking something that's just not 'Mike Oldfield' but I don't care. He's doing it. And I love everything he does.

Actually the first TB always got on my nerves and I can't listen to it for long. Does that mean I flame about it? No. Actually I still love it anyway just because Mike did it. And for that reason, I also like Earth Moving. Not as much as his other albums maybe, but it's still Mike and I love it.

IMHO (don't take this personal this is only me and doesn't have to be true to anyone else so don't flame me for it because I'm not attacking or labeling you or anyone), the mark of a true Mike Oldfield fan is accepting everything Mike does. Not neccesarily liking it, but respecting it and respecting what Mike does to it. Which actually, in turn, causes you to like it :). I didn't like QE2 for a bit of time but I made myself respect it and listen to it and now I love it!

Now for the last time, STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT AND GO LISTEN TO THE OLD MASTERPIECE IF YOU WISH. Saying Mike has lost it and he should stop making music is just immature. What's the matter with you? Can't you see how stupid you're acting? I'm not paying you people any more heed after this post, you don't even deserve attention. Not until you grow up.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 16:03

Put it another way: I disagree with the fact that a fan should (immediately) like everything an artist does. However, he or she should be open to change. There are certain things you should consider.

- An artist doesn't conform to your taste - but your own taste for music can develop, grow to like what that artist does. For example, I'm still not fully used to pieces like Amarok, but I'm liking it more every time I hear it.

- What does it mean if you absolutely do not like something an artist does? It means exactly what it says. Someone whose music you like(d) did something you do not like, which is disappointing. You have every right to state that disappointment, but remember that it's your opinion. There seem to be a lot of people do take such things too personal and really attack new stuff in a way that seems over the top.

What I'm trying to say is, let's all be more grateful for what we like and less offended by what we dislike. Not every piece of music has to be a classic to everyone, nor does every piece of music serve the same purpose.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2003, 16:07

Exactly what I was trying to say :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 17:12

Amen to that, Mark 1

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 18:00

I think the reason a lot of people are getting so worked up about this (in their critisism) is for the simple fact that Tubular Bells means a lot to them on a lot of different levels. Ok some people who have posted recently have been a bit over the top in critisising Mike on a personal level and haven't come across as particularly openminded but there is an element of 'I won't hear a word said against Mike Oldfield' creeping in from other fans.

Everyone's getting  excited by the new release which is understandable but my personal view is that the divide of opinion will be partly because of an age thing. I think most of the fans contributing here have discovered Mike in the last ten years or less through his reletively recent releases and so will probably love the new modern version, which is completely fair enough. But there are a lot of people out there, myself included, who were brought up on Tubular Bells indeed it was the first piece of music I ever remember hearing and so don't want their image or perception of it changed. For that reason, in a way, I don't care what Mike may or may not want to do with it or how he persieves it. For the 50 minuite or so duration of TB it's my piece of music it brings back memories of my childhood and that for me is important.

Having said all that as a fan of all his music, good and bad, I'm now actualy looking forward, almost as much as you all are, to the new release and seeing what he's done with it on an artistic level, especialy part 2.

Off now to suck my thumb and listen to the original.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 18:27

I think the problem with these unregisted folk's comments is that they are personally attacking Mike, stating that he shouldn't be doing music anymore. There is a childish contempt in their comments, which is really bizarre, it is as if they appreciated Tubular Bells and hate its creator. Their comments have actually slightly freaked me out because they seem somewhat overly fanatical, saying Mike should go back to making model planes and such is just unpleasant and pathetic. It always seems to happen in the last few years, I noticed when Voyager was coming out and all the albums since, a bunch of "fans" take it upon themselves to have a go at Mike personally. Well, it is these strange people that need to go find a hobby, I suggest making model planes!!!

Now that I have those comments out of my system, I'd just like to say that I for one am hugely excited about this. I don't like the sound of the synth bass either, but I know it will sound different booming out loud of my stereo. Mike seems to be happy with his creation, and it is his vision - and I trust his judgement.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
133 replies since April 11 2003, 07:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net