Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Writing on the Celtic cross in the forest..., Is it Greek, or...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 05 2012, 18:41

The Tr3s Lunas game, and everything in it, was made long before the MotS album. It was probably made when Mike still had no idea about what album to do next - let alone a classical album, let alone MotS. So how can there be a connection between a probably meaningless detail within a game and an album which was released more than three years later? I sincerely doubt that there is any.

I also think that the Greek letters in itself do not have any religious meaning. Mike has never used anything connected to religion in any of his output (music, lyrics, videos, artwork), so it would be funny that he'd put a religious reference within a game, and in a place where it's not likely to be found by the "general player". :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2020, 20:40

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 06 2010, 06:54)
Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 20 2007, 19:49)
@ Trinidad: so, according to you, is it more likely to be something like GDTT? If that's the case, to me it still looks very like a writing/spelling mistake (maybe an intentional one?), because GOTT means "God" in German. Very appropriate to a cross, ain't it? :)

Old thread this, Ugo, but if it's Greek they're thetas, not taus. So you'd have GDThTh. Adding the "O" of Oldfield in two places you get "God Thoth". Thoth was an Egyptian God. As a glance at his Wikipedia entry will tell you, he has many attributes; you can select among them according to which Oldfieldian characteristics you want to highlight - for example, the mind of God and the judgment of the dead.

According to the latest research, "Thoth" is the sound Egyptians made when confronted by something they disliked, such as Ra  :p  :laugh:
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2020, 09:52

I don't know if this adds anything, but two days ago this writing came uninvited to my mind, and, probably because I had been reading on number theory, I thought that the "delta", looking like a triangle, perhaps really means "triangular number". (Gauss, in a famous note in his diary, as I recently read, used a triangle (or a "delta" really? I don't know) as a symbol for a triangular number, when he managed to prove an important theorem (the triangular case of Fermat polygonal number theorem)).

P.S. 1: It may have been discussed, but why gamma and delta in upper case and the thetas in lower case? Are gamma and delta (representatives of) sets of numbers (delta being the triangular numbers and gamma perhaps the odd numbers, as they can be arranged in a gamma shape) and the thetas particular numbers (nines)? (Gamma and delta variables of certain types and thetas constants.) Is the writing a number? Does anyone think that it is meaningless?
P.S. 2: I don't know of any language other than Greek with a theta.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2020, 18:56

Quote (omgmo @ Feb. 08 2020, 09:52)
I don't know if this adds anything, but two days ago this writing came uninvited to my mind, and, probably because I had been reading on number theory, I thought that the "delta", looking like a triangle, perhaps really means "triangular number". (Gauss, in a famous note in his diary, as I recently read, used a triangle (or a "delta" really? I don't know) as a symbol for a triangular number, when he managed to prove an important theorem (the triangular case of Fermat polygonal number theorem)).

P.S. 1: It may have been discussed, but why gamma and delta in upper case and the thetas in lower case? Are gamma and delta (representatives of) sets of numbers (delta being the triangular numbers and gamma perhaps the odd numbers, as they can be arranged in a gamma shape) and the thetas particular numbers (nines)? (Gamma and delta variables of certain types and thetas constants.) Is the writing a number? Does anyone think that it is meaningless?
P.S. 2: I don't know of any language other than Greek with a theta.

The outline of the Voyager spaceship, as shown in the map, is a sigil spelling out "Maestro". "Maestro" rearranged spells "MO est Ra", tying in with all the Egyptian Thoth stuff. ("Est" of course is French for "is".)

"Thoth" is also the way a lispy person would say "SOS", so Abba are pyramid inclined too :laugh:
Profile PM 
23 replies since Oct. 20 2007, 19:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net