Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Write a track in 1 month - NaNoWriMo for composers, Feedback needed !< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 03 2006, 02:18

Have you heard of NaNoWriMo?  if not, go to http://www.nanowrimo.org - the aim is to write a 50,000 word novel in just one month.

I thought it might be interesting to try a similar idea but with music.  This would be called GloMuWriMo, or Global Music Writing Month.  (I removed National because that isn't even an accurate part of the NaNoWriMo title - it's a worldwide event.)

This event would be accompanied with some information pages on lyricless.com.

The idea is to challenge instrumental composers to write a brand new piece of music in the space of one month.

The rules:

1. You must be a registered user of lyricless.com to enter.
  2. Only instrumental music is allowed, i.e. no vocals or vocal effects of any kind.
  3. You can use recorded instruments, a computer, or a combination of the two.  It doesn’t matter how you create the music.
  4. The track must be no shorter than 2 minutes and no longer than 10 minutes in length.
  5. You must write the music from scratch during the one month period.  You may not remix an existing track or develop an unfinished track written outside the one month period.
  6. You must submit your track to lyricless.com so we can verify that you have obeyed the rules.  If you wish to share your track then you may do so, please specify this or your file will be deleted from the server once we have deleted it.

I don't expect a lot of participants and I understand that even those who do sign up will not be able to finish their track.  But I thought it would be good to find out if anyone here would be interested in the idea.

Are you interested in taking part?  Do you have any comments on the rules?  I would like to run the event in early 2007, probably February or March, so please post your comments as soon as you can.

Thanks for reading! :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 03 2006, 03:25

I agree with most of the rules, but why must entries be limited to lyricless members?

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2006, 04:22

Well, if they're not registered at lyricless.com, they won't be able to upload their track.  It just makes the whole process a lot easier to manage.  It is very quick to register.

But I might change that "rule" to a "recommendation".  Perhaps if you're not a registered user, you can participate but you have to host the file yourself.  There is no way for people to upload a file if they are not registered.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2006, 17:44

Someone has told me that there is already a site that does this:

http://www.fawm.org/

I will probably join that site instead of doing the same competition at lyricless.com. :D Why not join too?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Nov. 03 2006, 02:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net