Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Worst Song Thread, Name & Shame your Stinkers Here.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 02 2010, 18:12

@ 3Wheeler: Cliff Richard was never a good singer, but I guess I should pass my judgement on religious songs. Anyway, I think this one is a little worse than the one you quoted - yes, even gospel can get bad. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2010, 22:42

Actually, I like Cliff Richard's "Power to all our Friends", or whatever it's called. It was used in an over here in Oz some years ago, quite effectively.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2010, 22:50

Here it is, although I don't think the video does the song any favours! I think Cliff's a worse dancer than singer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otWLDkKC-VY
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 03 2010, 03:50

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 02 2010, 23:20)
@ milamber: actually I like some country music, so here you'd find a (rare) disagreement between you and me. :)

Ah, and of course Frank Stallone got the job because of his better-known brother. His singing is pure shit but the song is nice.

Not at all Ugo we can still find common ground with The KLF and Tammy Wynette Justified and Ancient :laugh:

Frank Stallone Update.

The DJ's have got Frank to come out for a tour.
Frank doesn't know it's a piss take and the guys are frantically looking for a venue. :D
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2010, 17:43

@ Ugo - just caught "Poing" and am about to head on an easyjet flight to Italy with a sawn off shotgun - bloody thing stuck in my head now.

Mind you, it can't be classed as a "worse ever" song - it's just to well constructed for it's genre, similar to much of KLF/TimeLords/Justified Ancients stuff.

No - when considering "worse song ever" it not only has to assault your ears and inflict pain on your brain - it also has to have been made with the intent of being good for it's genre but failing miserably.

I mean, there are loads of songs I hate but others love, so those are out of the running. "Come on Eileen" Dexys Midnight runners can make me physically retch but was (probably) a well crafted pop song. "Take Me Home Country Roads" is so full of sugar but can still make me sing karaoke.

Anything by Tim Machine/Bowie however, can easily be put into the "worse song" category, 'cos they really tried - but failed.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2010, 17:55

@ milamber: before listening to that song, I didn't know who Tammy Wynette was. She's never been very popular as a country star here, not that country music has ever been popular here. :D

@ Andy: "Poing" is a non-song because it has no tune and no melody - it just goes poing, poing, poing, poing all the way through, it's just noise. Similarily most death/doom metal songs are just noise to my ears, so they can't be classed among the worst songs ever as they're not really songs. At least to me. Anyway, I agree with you on the silly Bowie-fronted hard rock quartet. "Under the God" ? It had better be entitled "Under the Shit" ... that they were deep in. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2010, 18:27

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 03 2010, 17:43)
No - when considering "worse song ever" it not only has to assault your ears and inflict pain on your brain - it also has to have been made with the intent of being good for it's genre but failing miserably.

I mean, there are loads of songs I hate but others love, so those are out of the running. "Come on Eileen" Dexys Midnight runners can make me physically retch but was (probably) a well crafted pop song. "Take Me Home Country Roads" is so full of sugar but can still make me sing karaoke.

I don't agree at all on that definition. You are suggesting some sort of objective criteria for "bad", and with that definition stuff like the Shags are "bad".
As I see it some of the worst songs ever tend to become popular with DJs and radio programmers and with people who normally don't care for music!. To have a really universal appeal a song has lower its complexity and level of abstraction to the kiddy level, and that's where real stinkers are born IMO. Songs that seem to worry that you won't understand and/or remember. Songs built not to offend without being afraid to annoy.
Ask yourself; would Marge Simpson like it?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2010, 21:44

Cliff's "Wired for Sound."

Poor bugger never knew how many of us wanted him Wired for 240 Volts!  :/

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2010, 11:08

Wake me up before You Go Go   - Wham...  oh Dear !! :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3Y5qfnhGc

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2010, 11:36

Quote (3Wheeler @ Aug. 04 2010, 11:08)
Wake me up before You Go Go   - Wham...  oh Dear !! :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3Y5qfnhGc

I think that one has a catchy melody and a bouncy rhythm. I've heard a few stinkers from George Michael, but they're from later in his solo career.
I would really like to nominate any song you like from Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation" album. Not only for the unmemorable tunes but also for the shit "dance-army"-concept. This albbum  struck me as remarkably bad.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2010, 11:58

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 02 2010, 09:21)
For legal reasons Youtube won't even tell me which these songs are.

They're both by Britney Spears: "Oops, I Did It Again" and "...Baby One More Time". ;)
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2010, 12:31

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 04 2010, 11:36)
I would really like to nominate any song you like from Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation" album. Not only for the unmemorable tunes but also for the shit "dance-army"-concept. This albbum  struck me as remarkably bad.

Duran Duran recorded  an excellent tribute to Janet for a particular "Ooops! Is that my b**b hanging there?" incident...

Careless Mammaries

;)

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2010, 20:34

@ larstangmark - Marge Simpson sits proudly in my record collection with "The Simpsons Sing the Blues".

Anyway - I was trying to be objective with that description of what is a "worse" song.

if i'm going to be all emotional and un-objective i will present the entire output of one Mr Phillip Collins, drummer gone bad.

Particular low-lights being "in The Air Tonight" (unless featured with a man in a gorilla suit advertising chocolate bars), and just about everything else he ever put out with his own name on.

His drumming on QE2 was Ok though

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2010, 21:01

Quote (Cooper Roy @ Aug. 03 2010, 21:44)
Cliff's "Wired for Sound."

Poor bugger never knew how many of us wanted him Wired for 240 Volts!  :/

CR

Actually, I like that too. Help! I'm turning into a Cliff Richard fan!

(Will anyone say "Congratulations"? :) )
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2010, 02:49

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 05 2010, 10:34)
His drumming on QE2 was Ok though

Yeh I agree, Saw him live a while back and left before the end of the show.

At least he started the gig with a chintzy Drum Solo.

And he is responsible for at least 2 iconic Drum Intro's .
No easy feat (How many are there ?).

I really only like his live version of Hand in Hand and thats if it's played on a Saturday night at about 11 and I'm too tired to reach for the remote :laugh:
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2010, 22:11

"Why" Yoko Ono...just because
Give it the 30sec test  :O
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2010, 08:45

Mike Flowers - Wonderwall        ( Cover)....

Actually improves the song a Bit, The wailing bit that Oasis throw into it  isnt there... ! :)..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy1ueZf1WMQ

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2010, 10:40

If bad cover versions count then I'd say Koto's version of Moonlight Shadow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kde41V4GUrs

It appears to me he's got the first chord of the verse wrong.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2010, 03:23

How could I have forgotten Paul Simon.
Utter Crap. IMHFO
I would rather be subjected to Five hours of Saved by the Bell than listen to even 10 seconds of Graceland.

I wish I had diamonds on the soles of my shoes.
So I could step on him :laugh:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2010, 07:02

Oh yeah, Graceland! That one was hyped out of all proportion. Let that album be a reminder that the worst thing about the 80s wasn't the dDrums or the synthesizers - the worst thing was the bland politically correct etno kitch like Graceland.
Sadly, I hear a Graceland influence in some of Mike's late 80s/early 90s music. I really love Amarok, but I still cringe at the "Graceland" choir.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
184 replies since Aug. 01 2010, 05:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net