Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Win a place at the Music of the Spheres premiere!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
3Wheeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 05:27

Remember to Stand on Your seats Guys
and Shout BRAVO BRAVO at the Finale...
the Spannish Sort of like those Gestures  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 11:50

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 04 2008, 19:04)
..it looks like first rehearsals today ..a bit of a racket at the moment thought ...and the concert is Friday Night !!!

Wow - you can tell you lot have never seen a clasical concert before - that was then tuning up..!!!   :D  :D

Ray  ;)

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 22:26

Awaiting news of the concery guys :=) It's well into the 8th of March here in Singapore and i'm anxious to hear how the premiere of MOTS went. Thanks in advance for all the feedback that's coming :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 03:14

okay so O cant wait to start hearing about the concert last night too. Lets see some photos and at least a few reviews from the lucky ones there!! ThANKS
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 15:16

Sorry, no photos of the concert I'm afraid - photography inside the museum was forbidden. However, I took a few pics whilst walking around Bilbao yesterday and also some of a few well known characters from this site.

You can find them  
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c....=891731 here

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 03:45

How thoughtful of you to share this, Clotty. Unfortunately, I don't have a MySpace account. I'll try creating one, later on, so I can check out your pics.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 04:22

Ah good point sweatpea. I had forgotten that you have to sign-up for Myspace to look at the pictures. (I didn't want to clog up tubular.net with my pictures though).

Given some time I can load them up on my www.milesapart.co.uk web site. I'll let you know once I've had a chance to do that.

Everyone was taking pictures, so I expect there will be more available soon from the others. What a shame that we couldn't take any in the museum - obviously not during the concert, but perhaps before or afterwards would have been a nice memory.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
rumerok Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 05:08

Some pics here... :)

7th March Bilbao

Edited by rumerok on Mar. 09 2008, 05:09
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 06:45

I've now created a MySpace account just to view some of these images. It was really easy, only taking a few minutes, and the reward was well worth it. Did you take all those shots, Clotty? There are some striking city views in there, and - my goodness - what an attractive group of MO fans you all make. Thanks to your captions, many of the identity mysteries are solved.

Rumerok, those are fantastic images - from a cinematically windswept Korg (am I the only one here who thought he was older than that??), to a scene-stealing Manintherain. It's a pleasure to have some faces to go with the names, and from now on I'll always see Inkanta as a mass of shining, golden hair. Despite the allure of these revelations, I was overwhelmingly drawn to the platter of prosciutto (?) and bread. And I may as well admit that what I'm most dying to know about the whole Bilbao experience is.... how was the food??

As for the unidentified ones... after applying sharply honed deductive skills, I surmise that the man in the brown shirt must be Marko. Either he was writing out a check (drinks were on him??) or he was drawing up a doodle of his next comic strip. Besides, it looks like the same gentleman from the recent 'magic pitcher' photo in the 'updates' forum. And who is the man with the impressively well-groomed beard? It's almost too perfect to be real!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
rumerok Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 07:01

I've writting some names along with the pictures, on the comments. I can't remember all the names, especially from the German group...sorry :(
Anway, it was a real pleasure to meet you all!!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 08:19

Nice pictures Clotty! I've added you on my myspace. ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 10:06

Quote (Sweetpea @ Mar. 09 2008, 11:45)
after applying sharply honed deductive skills, I surmise that the man in the brown shirt must be Marko. Either he was writing out a check (drinks were on him??) or he was drawing up a doodle of his next comic strip.

Indeed - and drawing cartoons is exactly what he was doing! Marko was incredibly entertaining and great fun to be around. I think everyone loved watching him draw.

The food was great, as was the weather that afternoon. There was a nice relaxed, chatty atmosphere amongst everyone - like on the forum, just with added tapas.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 15:10

I'm struggling to know what to write here. I think having been given the chance to go to Bilbao for the premiere, it is only right that I tell others a little of the experience, but on the other hand I doubt you want to hear the full story from Stansted to Guggenheim via Amorebieta and back again do you? That would be just too dull.

So here goes...

Pre-Trip
Low expectations - hotel booked, but cancellation details ready to send - Saturday morning, sat freezing in a computer datacentre somewhere in London - an email from Korgscrew - euphoria  - screams of delight - strange looks from work colleagues - panic - I need a flight - phew there's one left - argh what if the plane's late - I'll miss the gig - fly out Thursday instead - argh no hotels for Thursday in Bilbao - Amorebieta to the rescue - ok its all sorted - try to relax.

Thursday
Made it to Amorebieta 20km outside of Bilbao - my beginner's Spanish is just about holding up to the test.

Friday
After a short train journey to Bilbao, the obvious first stop was the venue. I didn't realise it until I looked at my photos when I got home, but I walked right passed Korgscrew and Tim when I first arrived and only met up with them about half an hour later. By this time there were a number of Oldfield fans from the various groups starting to congregate, greet and chat outside the front of the Guggenheim Museum.

I wonder what the collective noun is for Oldfield Fans? Maybe some reference to bells - a resonance of Oldfield fans for example or an uphoovement perhaps (It could take up a whole thread couldn't it? Maybe it already has).

Most of us then went our separate ways for a look around Bilbao and then met up for a late lunch. (Rume thank you so much for this - I don't think I bought you nearly enough beers in return).

Inkanta had joined us by now. I still can't believe you came all that way - what commitment! Inkanta and I had met before, but virtually in Second Life. I was disappointed to discover that she was unable to fly in real life.

Later in the afternoon, together with the other groups, we took over the cafeteria at the museum. There was a real multi-national feel to it, with at least UK, USA, Poland, Germany, Switzerland, Spain represented. Marco had started his cartooning too.

So to the evening. We were led round to a side entrance just before the concert started and shepherded into our position to the side of the stage. Although not ideal, (the ideal being a front row seat directly in front of Mike), I really cannot complain as this restricted view, maybe 10 to 20 metres from the performers, was exactly as advertised.

I had resisted the temptation to listen to MOTS prior to release, so it was a great experience to hear it first as a live performance. I was not disappointed. I loved it and cannot wait till next Monday when the CD is released.

Mike's guitar sound seemed a little low in the mix to me. Perhaps it was where we were situated or maybe it was just technical difficulties. However, believe it or not this did not spoil the performance. Why? Well, for those that have not heard MOTS, it is worth setting expectations I think. In my opinion and on first impression, the guitar part was more incidental than we would normally expect from Mike Oldfield. Before you listen for the first time, remember that this is all about Mike Oldfield the composer rather than Mike Odlfield the guitarist.

The piece seems to have all the classic ingredients that we love and are used to. The orchestra is a perfect vehicle for the layer upon layer of sound that Mike typically builds into his compositions.

Whilst I've heard of her of course, I don't believe I have listened to Hayley Westenra before. What a wonderful pure voice and well suited to the piece.

As you will have read in other posts, Mike left somewhat promptly at the end with his guitar case on his shoulder and alas without acknowledgement to those standing to his left. I wonder if he had been made aware that we were there, otherwise surely he'd have come over for a half hour chat ;-)

Nothing left to do, we retired to a bar to chat over our experiences. What a great couple of days it was. Not just for the concert, which of course I will always remember, but also for the chance to meet with a few of the people from this forum.

Here's to March 17th.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 16:14

Quote (timshen @ Mar. 08 2008, 03:26)
Awaiting news of the concery guys :=) It's well into the 8th of March here in Singapore and i'm anxious to hear how the premiere of MOTS went. Thanks in advance for all the feedback that's coming :-)

Fit ya daein in Signipour?

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 16:22

Clotty, your travelogue almost makes me feel as if I were there. I'm glad you included the pre-trip angst - every good story needs a touch of drama, I think.

I wonder how you recognized each other? Was it simply a safe assumption that everyone hanging out in front of the Guggenheim was a fan? I suppose a handwritten sign saying 'Here For MOTS' or 'I'm a Tube.net-er', while handy, would be a bit conspicuous? Or do MO fans emit an unmistakeable aura? You did mention 'resonance' in relation to the group, after all. I believe this Music of the Fans phenomenon requires further research.

I imagine that one's first MOTS exposure being a live performance must have been really special. Along with your cardboard TB display, it's one more thing for which to envy you.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 16:57

Thanks Clotty, sounds like fun!

I also enjoyed your descriptions of the build-up to the event  :D

Also very interesting to hear that you enjoyed the piece with the guitar low in the mix. From the bits I've heard I would have thought it a bit dissapointing to have some of the moments when the guitar shines being missed or de-emphasised. Let us know how you find the recording when it is released on 17th compared to the concert...

As some have suggested, the recording of the concert might boost the guitar in the mix so that won't necessarily be the same as being there...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 17:56

Also very interesting to hear that you enjoyed the piece with the guitar low in the mix. From the bits I've heard I would have thought it a bit dissapointing to have some of the moments when the guitar shines being missed or de-emphasised.

Well it wasn't so much that I enjoyed it with the guitar at low volume, more that it wasn't the end of the world. In much of Mike's work, his guitar is so fundamental to the enjoyment of the music, but that was not so much the case for this work.
Plus of course nothing was going to spoli the occasion.

I'm sure I will love it even more when the guitar is clearer on the album.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
clotty Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 17:58

I wonder how you recognized each other?

Pink carnations obviously :-)

Oh and well remembered re the cardboard Tubular Bell.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 20:06

Great photo's Clotty and Rumerok. Good to see Tim scrubbed up well, and M-C looking as radiant as ever. And Harry (Bluepeter) is looking well too, a touch lighter perhaps?

I envy you all. And it makes me wonder about the possibility of a bigger fan meeting.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 11 2008, 00:06

Great photos and a great write-up! :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
84 replies since Feb. 27 2008, 09:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net