Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 22 2009, 21:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1dwA07YCt0
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 22 2009, 22:03

This video is very special to me,since it was my first MO memory in my life,when I was about 10 years old!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 09:22

Never saw that one. Cute.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 

Posted: July 23 2009, 09:50

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 23 2009, 10:22)
Never saw that one. Cute.

It was featured on that Elements DVD.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 17:41

A great video even now. And way ahead of it's time when you think about when it was made. No MTV back then, so where did the hope to show it?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 19:10

@ Andy: Top of the Pops, maybe? AFAIK that existed way before MTV. :)

Great video, tho'. It's nice to watch it every now and then - and Mike's "slow" rendition of Rossini's franticly-paced tune is great. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 08:44

I was watching this just the other night.It actually shows he has a sense of humour too.The bit when the keyboord comes in when he rolls forward before he starts playing and when he walks up to the glok and pops his fag up to his mouth especially.Makes me chuckle every time.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 11:21

I love this video too - and am most amazed that Virgin (or whoever) took the time to capture this wonderful footage... and (for that time) magically transformed it in a way that illustrates this amazing young musician who "plays all these instruments himself" (Who on this forum wasn't impressed when they read or discovered how many instruments MO plays on his albums?)

CLASSIC!

I also find it amazing that video of this period in MO's life is even available. I also think it clearly shows he has a sense of humor too, which is nice.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 11:33

There's also the In Dulci Jubilo vid and a Portsmouth one on the Elements DVD.All show him playind differnt instuments but this ones the best one i think.

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 19:56

And the REAl secret to his success - have a cigarettte lighter around his neck!

Roll me another please

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 25 2009, 18:17

I have a friend here who's an old-time Oldfield fan, and he's often wondered, watching early pics of Mike, what that thing hanging from his neck was. It's only in this video, as far as I remember, that the 'thing' is clearly revealed to be an unusual (maybe self-made?) cigarette-lighter holder. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 

Posted: July 25 2009, 18:26

Even Steve Howe of Yes did try to copy that video-style on one video from his solo career,you can watch a bit on that Yesyears DVD,can't remember the name of the tune now.

Quote (HRFanUSA @ July 24 2009, 12:21)
and (for that time) magically transformed it in a way that illustrates this amazing young musician who "plays all these instruments himself" (Who on this forum wasn't impressed when they read or discovered how many instruments MO plays on his albums?)

CLASSIC!

That impressed me when I first watched on the telly here,during a programme that showed the history of prog rock.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 25 2009, 20:46

Quote (The Caveman @ July 24 2009, 12:44)
I was watching this just the other night.It actually shows he has a sense of humour too.The bit when the keyboord comes in when he rolls forward before he starts playing and when he walks up to the glok and pops his fag up to his mouth especially.Makes me chuckle every time.

Oh yes I don't think i noticed that sly ciggie, that would be "verboten" if the PC mob get their way.  Oh yes I hate smoking in some places, esp when i'm eating. Trying to keep off ciggies, yes I'm stop start, stop start with smoking, but i ask before lighting up.

Oh yes i think there is humour on here' like you say HRFan USA, it's as if Mike's playing the schoolboy taking a sly drag , before the headmaster shouts at him "Oi Oldfield put that cigarette out and come here boy" , and you notice Mike's grinning smile at the end, i think he had fun filming this. I think his humour carres through to the Blue Peter vid, has a sort of Charlie Chaplin, Keystone Cops and Laurel and Hardy ( I love Stan and Ollie) theme about it    :D , whilst playing with "boys toys" :cool:  :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 11:15

The lighter holder is mark II i believe.I have seen pictures of both a leather holder and a woollen one hanging round mikes neck.The latter has echos of the woolly hats favoured by Hillage and members of Hatfield et all.So i'm getting me one of these to see if it improves my playing. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 12:52

Things That You Can Hang Around Your Neck And Get Away With..

1..A Guitar
2..A Necklace
3..An Old Fashioned Camera
4..A Pair Of Binoculars..(circumastances & location depending)
5..A Scarf
6..A Tie

Things That You Should Never Wear Around Your Neck Under No Circumstances Whatsoever..

1..A Cigarette Lighter
2..A Pen(even David Beckham hangs it off his rear view mirror along with his "dog tag"..Come On!;)
3..A Pair Of Reading Glasses(especialy those ones that kind of come together in the middle like that weirdo off CSI)
4..A Shoulder Bag(you would think it would be self-explanotary wouldn`t you)
5..A Noose
6..An Anvil
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 04:35

Lol.Watching it again there a dog whistle behing the lighter too.What the hell's that about?He did have the wolfhounds and Wellington the Saint Bernard around that time i guess.It was also around the time Clyde came to stay.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 06:25

Heh Heh yeah you`re right Caveman I never spotted that.So what is it with Mike,has he never heard of pockets or what?Maybe he had some sort of bad pocket experience when he was younger and developed a severe mis-trust of them.Hell we`ve all been there at one time or another.Given Mike`s fondness for the green stuff I`d hate to think where he kept his wallet.Or his tobacco pouch/tin???..Plus can you imagine the amount of keys he`d have to carry around with him..One for the house..One for the car..One for the bike,plane,glider,helicopter,boat,jet-ski,hovercraft,submarine!!Yeah I guess maybe his pockets where so brimming to full with other stuff he had no alternative but to hang certain sundry items around his neck.Makes sense that he never used a plectrum.He did`nt have anywhere left to keep one.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 08:58

Ah but that's what the so called 'ticket' pockets for.I've lost count of the times i've opened the washing machine and found a few picks on the bottom of the drum. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 20:39

It's a pity that the William Tell overtures is such a classical chestnut; there are plenty of other less well-known classical pieces that are just as much fun. Also, the music is now welded in my brain to the rape scene (one of them, anyway) in A Clockwork Orange.
Profile PM 
18 replies since July 22 2009, 21:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net