Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Will Mike Oldfield ever release another album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 21 2022, 00:01

Is there any indication of him ever releasing another album or has he retired once and for all?  It's so hard to find any sort of intel regarding this question.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 21 2022, 03:42

This is a mystery to everyone!! After Mike released Return To Ommadawn in 2017 I though it would have re-ignited something inside of him to make more long form music, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to be the case, the silence from him is deafening. I always keep my fingers crossed he has been making music over the past 5 years. I was hoping for more of the deluxe album releases, but that also seems to have stopped :( There is one thing on the horizon though, his collaboration with the Outsiders, I can't wait to hear some new Oldfield guitar.  https://www.tarja-outlanders.com/
Then there is the 50th anniversary of Tubular Bells next year, so, I am sure he will be back in the news for that.
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: June 21 2022, 05:37

Only time will tell... only time...

I'm not on Facebook, but I suppose you think nothing much is happening at the moment. But as we all know: endings are just beginnings.

Hopefully Mike is just recording Tubular Bells 4, and mixing the Deluxe versions of The Wind Chimes, Amarok, Music from the Balcony, Tubular Bells 2 and polishing some rare unpublished material from the tapes.

But the Return to Ommadawn may also mean the end of his public musical career. Back in the silent womb.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 22 2022, 01:52

Tubular Bells 4 is something I still think will happen, he has talked about it for many years now.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 23 2022, 18:01

I know Mike has had his fair share of mental health issues, and the working in the music industry means a lot of pressure and strain. I don't blame him if he's content being a pensioner just taking care of himself and his family.

I would really like deluxe editions of Islands, Earth Moving and Heaven's Open though.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
amaroks Offline

Posted: June 25 2022, 06:57

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he surprised us all with a surprisingly stunning new album next year to coincide with the 50th.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 25 2022, 19:22

Quote (amaroks @ June 25 2022, 06:57)
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he surprised us all with a surprisingly stunning new album next year to coincide with the 50th.

That would be a wonderful gift if it happened and as you say a very welcome (non?)surprise.  

In this 2017 Daily Mail article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home....ls.html
it says:

"He lets slip that there will be a Tubular Bells IV (sequels II and III went to No 1 and No 4 in the UK in 1992 and 1998 respectively), which brings us inevitably back to Branson".

That article is of course 5 years old and there hasn't been a single update or reference to such a project since. But surely he wouldn't have said that if there wasnt substance behind it?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 27 2022, 03:16

He has talked for years about TB4 and trying to find an equally amazing piano piece as the original album, I remember watching an interview with his once about this, and he said he is close to finding it. Maybe next year will be Tubular year, the 50th celebrations and the TB4 release.
Profile PM 
The Watcher Offline

Posted: June 27 2022, 16:10

I'm just scared he is facing a medical issue either with himself or a family member.

He's not getting any younger and always seems to be smoking in any interview or video I have seen.

Wishing for the best, for him and his family.
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: July 03 2022, 18:06

That is exactly what I'm also afraid of....
The disappearance into silence came too suddenly....  :/

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 04 2022, 04:29

Yes, it is a worry, he will be 70 next year, and he was a smoker for many years, don't know if he still does. He has recorded a track with Tarja Turunen that should be out soon, so there is that to look forward to.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: July 05 2022, 00:43

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ July 04 2022, 04:29)
Yes, it is a worry, he will be 70 next year, and he was a smoker for many years, don't know if he still does. He has recorded a track with Tarja Turunen that should be out soon, so there is that to look forward to.

Tarja Turunen is a remarkable talent, and has managed to get some amazing heavyweight names on board for her/their newest project including Trevor Rabin, Joe Satriani and of course Mike Oldfield.  The tunes so far released from that album are high quality so surely the Oldfield track will be well worth it.  But one thing I have wondered, is the music to "Never Too Far' from Tubular Beats, composed by Oldfield or Turunen or York, or a collaboration?  I read that Tarja wrote the lyrics, being inspired by Oldfield's "Islands" but unclear as to who actually wrote the music for that track.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: July 06 2022, 01:52

Quote (larstangmark @ June 23 2022, 18:01)
I know Mike has had his fair share of mental health issues, and the working in the music industry means a lot of pressure and strain. I don't blame him if he's content being a pensioner just taking care of himself and his family.

I would really like deluxe editions of Islands, Earth Moving and Heaven's Open though.

A deluxe package of Islands would be something special, I agree.  As for Earth Moving, I can't find a single good song on it, and with Heaven's Open, obviously the title track is up there with his greatest songs ever, and Music from the Balcony is a masterpiece, but otherwise it's pretty forgettable in my opinion so I don't think those two are worthy of deluxe versions.

Tubular Bells 4 on the other hand...for millions of fans, that would be like some kind of religious experience.
Profile PM 
MaranelloHouse Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2022, 08:54

I've been wondering about the sudden stop since "Return" like most. I to do hope its not health related and If Mr Oldfield has decided to call it a day its been on his terms for his reasons. I lament that we may never have the privilege to listen to any new music from him if he has stopped recording.
If I was able to speak to him I would thank him deeply for the music he has given us (I was 10 when TB came out) and his music has been with me throughout my life. I suffer from Depression and anxiety over the last few years and his music is my go to when I've had a particular bad time due to the good things it reminds me of.

Recently I made the trip to London to see the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra play TB and I'm not going to lie a huge part of me was hoping he would make a guest appearance. Alas not but the Orchestra didn't let him down, they where excellent.

If I'm allowed to be selfish for one moment I just wish that he would release even one line to the press, here, FB etc to let us know he is ok and there will be no more music because there isn't a day goes by that I don't check.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2022, 21:19

TB4, referencing as it will the heart chakra, will be about love. Mr O I imagine is waiting for the right moment for the world to be in the right state for that.
Profile PM 
14 replies since June 21 2022, 00:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net