Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: why did mike sell his guitars?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jesse Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 16 2011, 05:19

why did mike sold his trademark guitars he used in all the big shows? (TB2, TB3, MB): the fiesta red fender and the custom 24?

Was he almost broke??
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2011, 06:53

Good question. I remember he once said that all his musical instruments and synthesizers don't mean much to him except his guitars. So why he would sell them is a big mystery to me as well.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 06 2014, 06:07

I was just looking through the instruments list, and was amazed at the number of instruments he has sold, which is weird because in a breakfast TV interview from 1983 he is talking about his guitars, and how much they are going to be worth in years to come, it is such a shame he sold his guitars as there is so much history with them, on the other hand, if you were lucky enough to have a lot of spare cash at the time, you could have been a lucky fan and owned one(or more) of Mike's guitar's, I know if I had the money I would have tried to buy one.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 06 2014, 09:28

As I said in another topic recently, you can actually be fairly sure he's sold more than are listed as having been sold (we only add a note saying that when we know something about the sale), so yes...he's sold, or otherwise got rid of, a lot of guitars!

The only ones that have been shown in pictures recently have been the Mark Knopfler Strat, the two Telecasters (a Deluxe and a Squier Vintage Modified) and a Gibson J45. Are there more?

He played some nylon string on Tubular Beats, so we can assume he probably has a classical guitar still, and there's some mandolin on the Man on the Rocks demos, so I assume he has one of those. There's also the new Manson Heron.

It's apparently something he just does sometimes, he decides it's time to get rid of things, and off they go. I suppose it goes hand in hand with the way he'll occasionally decide to move to another country, rather like a snake shedding its skin. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with money, he just detaches from these things occasionally (even if they've seemed to have a great sentimental value to him previously).
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: April 06 2014, 23:46

I talked to a person on a bass guitar forum who owns THE bass used to record Amarok. Its actually a very unusual PRS bass with a very thin neck. Such a cool bass sound on that album.
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 07 2014, 07:21

Am I correct in thinking I read somewhere that after the olympics Mike was contacted by a guitar maker and asked if they could make a signture guitar for him? What happened to that? Was it PRS?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 07 2014, 08:08

Quote (GusFogle @ April 07 2014, 03:46)
I talked to a person on a bass guitar forum who owns THE bass used to record Amarok. Its actually a very unusual PRS bass with a very thin neck.

He used it in at least the early stages of Tubular Bells II as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9TL0qJsok
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: April 08 2014, 01:51

Since Mike said the middle part of his next album will have a sound reminiscent of Crises hopefully this will give him the opportunity to buy some more retro Gibson Les Paul Junior guitars (whether '60s SGs and/or another '50s single cutaway), '70s Roland GR 300 guitar synths and maybe he could even ask Luke to lend him his '73 Gibson L6-S Deluxe guitar back.  :cool:

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: April 08 2014, 08:07

Didn't have the money for a guitar, but I WAS able to get the set up discs he used for the AIR system in his studio.

(Hey.. it's *something* !  )   :D
Profile PM 
diamond den Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 15:41

Quote (GusFogle @ April 06 2014, 23:46)
I talked to a person on a bass guitar forum who owns THE bass used to record Amarok. Its actually a very unusual PRS bass with a very thin neck. Such a cool bass sound on that album.

The person who owns the Telecaster Mike used on Tubular Bells is a guitarist called Keith Smart. My Luthier in London has built a couple of guitars for him.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Oct. 16 2011, 05:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net