Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Who's laughing now?, Think twice before ridiculing/condemning< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Johnny Owl Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 01 2019, 19:56

It feels good to witness that what I wrote 14 years ago in this forum is being partly validated now by a neuroscientist. Well, better late than never, I would say...

"The Johnny Owl's formula and the WTF ?! Factor" - Oct. 22 2005, 17:54 - https://tubular.net/forums....;t=5534

Degree of enjoyment of a "new" MO album = WTF?! Factor / Age

Now, you will say, WTF is the WTF Factor? First of all, it's composed of two parts. In fact, the ?! notation after the WTF is chronological and should be experienced like it's written. First we have the ? (question mark) part, that is, the core of the WTF. Basically, it's that strange feeling you have when you listen to a piece of music for the first time and, in your mind, you go like "What the fuck is going on here?". Pay attention please: this feeling is totally "neutral", no good or bad feelings (yet) - I use fuck here only because I like the sound of that word and also because it adds a certain power to the sentence, no hostility involved. It's just a sensation of strangeness, like a funny taste in your mouth: the landmark of a diverse piece of music, which has the power to evolve into good or bad feelings. So, after this strange feeling, usually after a few moments, you *may* pass into the ! (exclamation point) part: here one could experience somatic sensations like thrills down the spine, cold sweat, even a lump in the throat, etc. This is definitely the sign of the goodness of a piece of music. If you reach the ! part, you just can't go wrong here: the music rocks you.

"Why Do We Love Music?" by Robert Zatorre, Ph.D. - Friday, December 28, 2018 - http://dana.org/Cerebrum/2018/Why_Do_We_Love_Music/

To give away the punch line of my article, I believe that music derives its power from an interaction between these two systems, the first of which allows us to analyze sound patterns and make predictions about them, and the second of which evaluates the outcomes of these predictions and generates positive (or negative) emotions depending on whether the expectation was met, not met, or exceeded.

:cool:
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2019, 06:29

Serious reply: the theory makes sense but surely when you're familiar with a piece of music there's no longer a place for predictions?

Frivolous reply: I don't immediately understand how the World Taekwondo Federation is involved...  :D
Profile PM 
Johnny Owl Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2019, 10:23

Serious reply: the theory makes sense but surely when you're familiar with a piece of music there's no longer a place for predictions?

Yep, that's why I wrote from the start that the WTF?! factor is inversely proportional to the "age" of the listener, with age being the amount of music that someone has already experienced.

Frivolous reply: I don't immediately understand how the World Taekwondo Federation is involved...  :D

I see you people continue with your silly games. It seems you guys are either incapable or unwilling of understanding what I want to say, even after 14 years. Well, good for you I guess (ignorance is bliss, as they say) - although the jokes are on you now, as I have amply demonstrated :)

Signing off...
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since Mar. 01 2019, 19:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net