Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Who Wrote "Never Too Far" on Tubular Beats?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 08 2022, 20:38

It's such a beautiful song but I can't find information as to whether the music was composed by Mike Oldfield, or Tarja Turunen, or York, or all three together, or some other combination?  Does anyone know...would be so grateful .
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2023, 06:06

This might help, here is Tarja talking about it:

https://bravewords.com/news....too-far
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2023, 14:49

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Aug. 22 2023, 06:06)
This might help, here is Tarja talking about it:

https://bravewords.com/news....too-far

Thanks...Actually I finally got hold of the CD itself where the songwriters are listed (Oldfield, Turunen and Stenzel). In the interview Turunen states "I wrote the melodies based on "Islands"..." but in my experience people often oversell their involvement in writing music...I wouldn't be surprised if Mike himself basically composed it while the vocalist added some voice harmonies and embellishments.  Especially since the two songs (Islands and Never Too Far) really don't sound much alike, not as if the latter is based off the former.  And the latter certainly has the ring of Mike's trademark unique genius.  If anything, Never Too Far takes more inspiration from "The Wind Chimes" (especially part 1) than Islands itself, which would support the idea that it was mainly written by Oldfield.
Profile PM 
tonyadams Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2023, 22:06

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ July 08 2022, 20:38)
It's such a beautiful song but I can't find information as to whether the music was composed by Mike Oldfield, wordle unlimited or Tarja Turunen, or York, or all three together, or some other combination?  Does anyone know...would be so grateful .

From what I've known, "Never too Far" is a collaboration between Mike Oldfield and York. Mike Oldfield is responsible for the original composition, as he is known for creating the iconic "Tubular Bells" album. York is a German electronic music duo consisting of Jörg Stenzel and Torsten Stenzel.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2023, 23:31

Quote (tonyadams @ Sep. 21 2023, 22:06)
Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ July 08 2022, 20:38)
It's such a beautiful song but I can't find information as to whether the music was composed by Mike Oldfield, wordle unlimited or Tarja Turunen, or York, or all three together, or some other combination?  Does anyone know...would be so grateful .

From what I've known, "Never too Far" is a collaboration between Mike Oldfield and York. Mike Oldfield is responsible for the original composition, as he is known for creating the iconic "Tubular Bells" album. York is a German electronic music duo consisting of Jörg Stenzel and Torsten Stenzel.

ChatGP has joined the chat.  Hi!  Always a pleasure.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2023, 19:52

Btw the newly released Outlanders version is a different mix, with punchier beats, livelier rhythm guitar and more presence for Mike’s guitar. Much more of a build at the end with a synth pop vibe. It’s hardly groundbreaking but slips down like a nicely chilled Chablis. Strange beeps at the end reminiscent of a life support machine?!
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2023, 06:01

I will have to have a listen to that then, thanks.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2023, 07:53

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ Sep. 21 2023, 23:31)

I don't underestand why people do this. I just don't. It's so immediately recognizable, the texts that say what everybody knows, with too many words.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2023, 16:19

Quote (Platinumpty @ Oct. 30 2023, 19:52)
Btw the newly released Outlanders version is a different mix, with punchier beats, livelier rhythm guitar and more presence for Mike’s guitar. Much more of a build at the end with a synth pop vibe. It’s hardly groundbreaking but slips down like a nicely chilled Chablis. Strange beeps at the end reminiscent of a life support machine?!

I didn't know this, assumed it was the same recording.  Thanks for the tip...Yes, that is a beautiful version.  Does this mean Oldfield re-recorded the guitar parts?  That at least would mean he had been working and recording in this last couple of years, which is a nice thought.  (I couldn't hear the strange beeps at the end at all, though).
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2023, 16:20

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 01 2023, 07:53)

I don't underestand why people do this. I just don't. It's so immediately recognizable, the texts that say what everybody knows, with too many words.

It must be some kind of automated robot, but why here, for what purpose, how, by whom, is a real mystery to me.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2023, 16:54

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ Nov. 01 2023, 16:20)
Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 01 2023, 07:53)

It must be some kind of automated robot, but why here, for what purpose, how, by whom, is a real mystery to me.

It's just so mega-retarded to join this forum, and to start explaining who Mike Oldfield is! I LOL:ed.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
10 replies since July 08 2022, 20:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net